Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a repaired 997 with $5k damage from previous collision?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a repaired 997 with $5k damage from previous collision?

Dealership originally said it was clean and never been wrecked. I then discovered through insurance company that there was a collision and a $5k claim so returned it. I didn't like that the dealership lied to me then played stupid when I confronted them so got my money back. Just curious what you think. It was a very big dealership too which really pis*ed me off. I thought these official Porsche dealerships had to disclose any accidents, especially when you ask them about it twice and get it in writing...very frustrating.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I am with you on that. I think not only those dealerships but any honest seller should've disclosed this type of incident. For this sole reason I would return the car and look elsewhere.
Now if the issue was disclosed to begin with my decision on whether to buy the car or not would've been based on the amount of damage the car sustained and corresponding discount. Sometimes repair costs skyrocket for something that is so small that it would not worried me much.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 AM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest $5k is not a lot of damage to a Porsche.

I would try to find out all the specifics of the accident and judge it on a case-by-case basis. People in general are too scared of vehicles that have *any* history and if you find one with an accident (that is truly fully repairable) it's a bargain to be had.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan
and if you find one with an accident (that is truly fully repairable) it's a bargain to be had.
True, so long as the damage is built into the price. But that doesn't appear to be the case for the OP. Dave
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sux they lied, or were not honest, but 5K isn't much........for damage....
for example: someone sideswiped my 550 last year.......no dents, just deep scratches and knocked my mirror off: bill was over 5K

I would be more concerned about a dishonest salesman.........I really do not know how those guys can live like that
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I would have returned the car too. I think if it's just fascia damage and the paint looks good then that wouldn't bother me but if there is damage to the sheet metal then I would walk.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I would have considered going back and renegotiating the price down $10K and been fine with the deal then as you kind of had them in an embarrassing situation.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
1719matt
Intermediate

I'd walk away from the dealer and the car
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

You have to assume the sales idiot is lying...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a carfax on the car from your dealer.
Here is my story and why you should ask for one:
I bought my 2006 Cayenne S from a PCar dealer in October 2010 under their CPO program. Certified with a letter to no damage ever presented on the car. Car was bought new and always serviced at the same dealer by the PO and traded in on a new Cayenne.
Went to look at a 997 at a different dealer mid 2012. Did paint metering all around no issues. Pulls up Carfax and it shows accident (Front and rear impact no airbag deployment)
I called my Pcar dealer furious as to why I was sold a CPO car with papers that specifically states no accidents.
They pulled the Carfax for the car and emailed it to me.
Here is what it showed:
Accident in Florida January 2010
Traded in to dealer June 2010
Purchased from dealer October 2010(by me)
Accident reported February 2011

The accident was reported a full 13 months after it occurred. The dealer had no idea. The car paint was perfect all the way around.

I went back to my dealer and they gave me full trade in value and then a bit more for the trouble and spent weeks looking for a car that fit my needs at a price I was willing to pay.

I just mention this as carfax is not always an immediate report and it could be months or in my case more than a year before the report was filed/updated. Can't possibly fault the dealer in that situation.

Good luck with whatever happens but just be aware there may be more to the story
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Gruson
Instructor

Carfax and Autocheck were both clean. I looked before I bought it. Accident happened in 2012.

It's not even the amount that upset me, it is the principal. On every trade in Porsche inspects the vehicles and use a paint gauge to check for prior wrecks. I spoke to a service guy on what their prepurchase inspection is. They knew about it but didn't tell me until after the fact that the paint in the rear was not original. Rear collision.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably would have renegotiated. When confronted with "salesmen" I assume they would lie/hide to sell me something. The bigger the dealership the more so (more people, pressure to sell, less individual management and less damage to reputation). Now if the dealership/management were unwilling to talk straight the I would walk. 5k is not much these days.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well wait. Was it listed on carfax? And did the dealership do the repair? It's possible they may not know it was damaged/repaired if not.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

If I am reading your post right it sounds like what exactly happened to me. You bought the car and the reports were clean. They had no idea that an accident had occurred. My paint metering was perfect as well, zero signs of damage.
You returned the car as per your first post. I think if you like the car and now know that it had minimal damage I would purchase the car for $5-$8K less based on resale value of a car with accident history. There is a depreciation due to an accident, the price should at least reflect the difference between a car in an accident and a non accident car.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1719matt
I'd walk away from the dealer and the car
Exactly what I did. I bought my first 997 from a Porsche dealership and it was not disclosed that my car had an accident/air bag deployed. Long story short dealer came through but I won't go back, even when they had the exact color combo I wanted.

Like others said it doesn't take long for a bodyshop repair bill to hit 5k on a 911.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a repaired 997 with $5k damage from previous collision?