Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a lease return?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it is not uncommon for dealers to source cars from auctions, although many would prefer one that was a return at the selling dealer. That said, another data point if you can get it, is who the prior owners were. My '06 C2 Cab bought from the original selling dealer had two previous owners, but both were local and were "adult" owners. Car turned out to be an excellent buy (+ was CPO).
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Maybe a little concerned only in the fact that the dealer who leased it didnt buy it back.
Exactly
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

My '09 was bought in LA, leased for 2 years, returned to the dealer they leased it from, it was CPO'd and re-sold by them.

In the end, it just depends if they need the car or not in their used inventory.

If you like the car, get it checked out by a 3rd party if you're uneasy. You're getting CPO, so you'll have 3 years of warranty on the thing including what is left on the factory warranty.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM
nhodgson
Intermediate

PDK's can be over revved......my 09 C4 S has level 1 over rev: and I know when I did it. Hard acceleration and used the wheel buttons to change gear, and went into 2nd when I wanted 4th...no biggie, my Tech tells me it's the blink of an eye. I think it was something like 33 counts level one.....

Neil
Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
rspon1
AutoX

Default Question for nathan1

Originally Posted by nathan1
It's a PDK so theoretically it cant be over-rev'd...

I always figure "lease" is a very nice way of saying RENTAL. The lessee knows they are only having the car during warranty so they have no exposure. With that being said every car is its own story. Some people take care of their car whether they own it, rent it, borrow it, etc. Some people destroy their cars because that is just how they are wired. I had a customer try to trade me his 996 GT2 that he purchased new and when I asked him about the deep gouges in the leather dash, passenger door panel and seat he told me that he simply reclines the seat, removes the front wheel off his bike and he then saw no need to put a bike rack on the top.... You couldn't make this stuff up! In his mind a car is simply a tool, in this case a very fast tool.

What you want to find is a car where you can tell that the dealer simply hasn't detailed it but that it was truly loved. You can tell, but you have to look closely. I attend almost all of the Porsche financial auctions and I can tell you 90+% of the cars are not ones I would want to own. In 5 years I have bought 2 P-cars at auction. Every so often a nice, no excuses one is up for sale and the other dealers know it and bidding goes above retail. Crazy!

The two owners isn't ideal but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many of us car people trade cars faster than some people trade shoes, doesn't mean we didn't love the car, but that we have short attention spans.

Inspect, inspect, inspect. Dont simply trust "CPO" and the fancy storefront.
I am new to the forum. You say that you attend almost all P-acutions and you would not buy 90+% of those cars. Can you elaborate please? That comment has given me serious pause. I am considering a 2011 991S , 14,000 miles, off lease bought at auction by P dealer, CPO warranty to Dec 2016. Full leather, PDK, Nav, sunroof etc. I also have an opportunity to buy a 2009 911S directly from a seller. This 2009 car is non full leather, PDK, no warranty , same color but only about $12K less dollars. Would you avoid P-Dealer auction car in favor of direct seller ?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

So you have checked with Porsche with the VIN and no records exist. If so why would they CPO the car and then send to auction? It cost them time and money to CPO a car and then to just send it on it's way makes no sense.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rspon1
I am new to the forum. You say that you attend almost all P-acutions and you would not buy 90+% of those cars. Can you elaborate please? That comment has given me serious pause. I am considering a 2011 991S , 14,000 miles, off lease bought at auction by P dealer, CPO warranty to Dec 2016. Full leather, PDK, Nav, sunroof etc. I also have an opportunity to buy a 2009 911S directly from a seller. This 2009 car is non full leather, PDK, no warranty , same color but only about $12K less dollars. Would you avoid P-Dealer auction car in favor of direct seller ?
Feel free to PM me and I can elaborate, you are asking good questions.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
rspon1
AutoX

For clarification: the Porsche dealer bought the 2011 911S at Porsche financial auction and is offering it for sale to me.

Quick Reply: Buying a lease return?