Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Rennline Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Did this mod today. Went with the silver pedal and black extenders. Thank you Bruce for a helpful guide. I too was apprehensive to drill into the stock pedal but it ended up ok (I think). Heel toe is finally a possibility under normal street speeds though I need a bit more practice with pedal modulation to get it perfect. Overall a nice look, I will probably end up doing the other 3 now so that it will all match up.

See pic below

Old 05-16-2020, 04:41 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 461 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripking
Did this mod today. Went with the silver pedal and black extenders. Thank you Bruce for a helpful guide. I too was apprehensive to drill into the stock pedal but it ended up ok (I think). Heel toe is finally a possibility under normal street speeds though I need a bit more practice with pedal modulation to get it perfect. Overall a nice look, I will probably end up doing the other 3 now so that it will all match up.

See pic below
What was the installation like? Do you need to remove that gas pedal first and then drill? I just ordered this pedal for my 718 with the heel/toe extension as i am finding it difficult to heel/toe based on the pedal spacing and my foot shape.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:15 PM
tgilgan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them on my car when I got it (2010 C4S) , with the red extenders and had to take them off. My feet are just too big, and under emergency breaking my foot was hitting brake and gas..clutch was in, but it was weird and felt dangerous. I have big feet (12.5 US) ..so maybe that was the problem. It did happen wearing my Sparco driving shoes, so wasn't like I was wearing hiking boots. Just something to think about.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:23 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
What was the installation like? Do you need to remove that gas pedal first and then drill? I just ordered this pedal for my 718 with the heel/toe extension as i am finding it difficult to heel/toe based on the pedal spacing and my foot shape.
It may be your technique..... trick is to push your heel into the hump (to the right) and point your toe to the brake (to the left). This requires repositioning your leg and your knee will move left. Your foot will now not be in a comfortable, lazy position. Grab the brake with half the ball of your foot, then you then roll your foot over to the gas pedal.

For normal driving around town, I target 4K RPMs blips, and for aggressive, high-RPM driving I target 5.5-6 RPM. Move the numbers higher or lower depending on your style, but I found targeting a single number helped me develop a habit, and then refine the technique from there.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-16-2020, 07:50 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Good advice Bruce. I would say it definitely took a bit of getting used to and I was getting a bit of what tgilgan was mentioning, but with some hours behind it I got used to repositioning my foot and how to mash the brake pedal hard when needed. I can now finally execute a heel toe downshift! Still getting my technique down at slower city speeds but going into a corner in the canyons I can nail it and it is so, so gratifying! This was near impossible for me with the stock set up at sensible speeds, but now finally an easy reality. I am debating doing the brake and clutch to match.

Gatorfast, no, for the gas pedal installation you drill right into the existing set up. If you follow Bruce's guide here it is pretty fool proof, just measure twice cut once as they say! Pedal looks good in the car and is very easily adjustable with a Philips head if you want to adjust the angle or dept of the pedal on the lifter plate.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 PM
tgilgan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were helpful heal-toeing, but once I got rid of them, I just learned without them.. wasn't a big problem. they are cool though, and I didn't get rid of them, they are hanging on my garage tool-wall in case I want to try them out again.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:50 AM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 461 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
It may be your technique..... trick is to push your heel into the hump (to the right) and point your toe to the brake (to the left). This requires repositioning your leg and your knee will move left. Your foot will now not be in a comfortable, lazy position. Grab the brake with half the ball of your foot, then you then roll your foot over to the gas pedal.

For normal driving around town, I target 4K RPMs blips, and for aggressive, high-RPM driving I target 5.5-6 RPM. Move the numbers higher or lower depending on your style, but I found targeting a single number helped me develop a habit, and then refine the technique from there.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Yes my technique it not actually a heel/toe but rather a left/right side of foot blip. I find it very difficult to rotate my leg for actual heel/toe and just shifting. I am tall (6'1) with long legs and narrow feet ans my knee will hit the steering column if I rotate my leg too much. I find that the tapered gas pedal (gets thinner as you move to the top) puts it just out of reach for my preferred technique which is why I think the pedal extension will be perfect as it should remove the effects of the taper and allow my foot to be able to blip the throttle while on the gas.

Last edited by gatorfast; 05-17-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 951 Posts

"Heel Toeing" is an old term coined when race car gas pedals and brakes were configured differently. You literally could heel - toe. The gas pedal was extended underneath the brake pedal. Today, it is near impossible to do as our gas pedal pivot anchor is at your heel. Today, it should be called "foot rolling" or something else. This confuses noobs.... it confused me when I first read about it. Trying to blip our modern cars with your heel is darned impossible no matter you twist your body.

For my 2000 Boxster S, I installed the Wings Engineering pedal that is designed for true heel toeing, but it would not fit... so I cut off the "wing". Below is a pic of the pedal.... I pulled from the 'net. With our modern pedal setups, you really can't do heel toeing like it implies... cars are just set up too differently. BTW I really liked this pedal because it clamped the gas pedal... no drilling and totally non-destructive unlike the Rennline pedal where you have to drill into the car pedal.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Notice in this diagram, the gas pedal's pivot is above, not like our more modern cars, where you can truly heel toe.

Here is Senna showing heel toeing.... er um... foot rolling in a NSX. Note he does NOT use his heel. BTW, note how he cuts throttle in a turn.. something you are NOT supposed to do... I suspect he is doing this because the NSX is understeering badly and he is trying to unload the rears and load the fronts (get them to bite and turn).

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-17-2020 at 11:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
ewc (01-10-2021), VT Blue (12-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:57 AM
seewong
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 34 Posts

Has anyone done the full gas pedal conversion along with this? https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Re...fo/A14.3P6059/
Old 12-26-2020, 03:51 AM
skarkp
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm trying to raise the gas deal in my 981 boxster and am a bit confused with the different rennline pedal products. If I want to raise the throttle position to be similar height as the brake pedal for easier heel and toe, i should get lifter? The extender is the side pieces that essential makes the throttle bigger? Thanks for any input.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:09 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Here is Senna showing heel toeing.... er um... foot rolling in a NSX. Note he does NOT use his heel. BTW, note how he cuts throttle in a turn.. something you are NOT supposed to do... I suspect he is doing this because the NSX is understeering badly and he is trying to unload the rears and load the fronts (get them to bite and turn).
https://youtu.be/JUVkVB3SUf4
I love that they took the time to capture and overlay the foot work and that he is wearing loafers. And socks. God I love the 90's.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skarkp
I'm trying to raise the gas deal in my 981 boxster and am a bit confused with the different rennline pedal products. If I want to raise the throttle position to be similar height as the brake pedal for easier heel and toe, i should get lifter? The extender is the side pieces that essential makes the throttle bigger? Thanks for any input.
yes the lifter plate is what you’re after. It is adjustable so you can adjust the height etc to your liking. The extensions just create more width to the pedal so there’s less gap between the brake and gas pedal.

Quick Reply: Installed Rennline Gas Pedal