Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S vs 997.2 Base Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM
UpOnTheWheel
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.1 C2S vs 997.2 Base Car

I just sold my 993 and am now focused on the next 911, a 997.

While I am sure this has been discussed on the forum, a quick search did not return a crisp result - now that they have been on the market for years, what is the consensus on a 997.1 C2S vs. a base 997.2?

It looks like the '09 997.2 base cars are starting to overlap with the prices of a 997.1 C2S and I would appreciate the group's advice on the pros/cons between the two.

I'm interested in a coupe. Mostly street driven, with an occasional track day.

I would say I am strictly focused on a manual, but I can see how the '09 PDK would be fun to try, just for something different.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question.

You should drive both obviously. I toyed with the same decision a few years ago but decided on the 997.1 C2S. There are definitely some advantages to the 997.2.

Direct injection, no intermediate shaft bearing, updated interior, almost equal horse power. It is a hard decision. You cannot beat displacement so a 2008 3.8 C2S is my vote. Just make sure you get the DME and a PPI if you're not a mechanic. If you like the upgrades of the 997.2 then go for that. For me the difference wasn't grand and I put more into my decision because I wanted a C2S.

You are right about looking through search results. It doesn't always work and there are hundreds of pages with people going off on tangents and I'm guilty of that.

BTW...manual is awesome.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

997.2 all the way
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had that option, I would most certainly go with the 997.2. Better interior, far superior NAV, better fuel economy, upgraded exterior lighting, and most probably better resale later on.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I also vote 997.2 and go with the Manual!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Gibbo
Racer

997.1 C2S has some nice options, sounds nicer, better steering feel, closest you'll probably get to a GT3 car especially if its got X51, sports suspension etc.

997.2 should be more reliable, better fuel economy and nicer inside.

I went with a C2S, if you love driving, track days etc, then C2S, if its going to be a road only car and driven as daily hack 997.2 C2 better option.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Jackson22
Instructor

This is one where I feel qualified to opine...I had a 2008 C4S, Sport Chrono, Manual 997.1 and LOVED that car. Last year, I traded it in for a 2012 C4GTS, Sport Chrono, PDK and they're totally different cars. The 997.1 sounded amazing, felt old school and the manual was fantastic (most of the time...I did snap the cable switching into second gear one morning and don't even get me started on getting caught on L.A. freeways in traffic in that car), but the 997.2, to me, is perfection.

Here's why: the 997.2 handles SO much better and just feels way more stable. I also love the aggressive front end with the LEDs and the DFI (these are things I used to wish I had when I saw them on 997.2s in my 997.1). Also, the 997.2 has satellite radio and the NAV system crushes the old, CD-based one. The new car diverts me away from traffic situations and I love the large touchscreen. Also, while there are times that I miss the manual transmission, the PDK is just a beautiful piece of machinery that works with you...in Sport Plus mode, for example, it's a joke. I feel like I'm driving a racecar and it's a BEAST, but then when I want to just cruise low-key, I switch it off and the car purs around the streets (getting me great gas mileage, I might add). I love the PDK versatility (again, particularly given that I'm in SoCal and traffic with a manual is beyond maddeningl).

In any case, if I were you, I'd look for a 997.2 S...there's got to be one you can find for a good price and believe me, you will not be disappointed.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

It's really about personal preference. For me the .2 has better NAVI, BT, LED DRL, DFI(has it's own potential issues), etc... many of the driver interfaces which I don't even use in my wife's Lexus so I went for a '08 C2S instead. It's the last year of the .1's so most of the kinks are worked out, better exhaust note, displacement, larger red brakes, Sports Chrono, PASM, real fog lights, etc... much of the driver features I wanted in a 911. Down the road I believe a C2S will be sought after... just consider the desirability of prior S models through the years. The one big perceived downside of a .1 car is the IMS internet craze. No one has yet to post a documented case of a car with this issue for cars with the redesigned large bearing IMS but everyone talks about the unicorn. IMHO that held the .1 C2S down artificially and got me better value in terms of the driver features I was looking for (brakes, engine, performance) and upgrades(full leather, seats, etc) vs. what I could fine on the 1st year .2 non-S car... GL and I don't think you can go wrong with either. It's truly about preference but test drive both to see which one hooks you in the most. That's a good quandary to have...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

for engine alone buy 997.2. way better design.

plus u can get CPO car for 997.2
buy 997.1 only if you want to track it a lot and eventually strip/modify, etc. this way it may be better value but, still, m96/m97 engine now is a bad choice considering 9a1 engine alternative in the 997.2
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
for engine alone buy 997.2. way better design.

plus u can get CPO car for 997.2
buy 997.1 only if you want to track it a lot and eventually strip/modify, etc. this way it may be better value but, still, m96/m97 engine now is a bad choice considering 9a1 engine alternative in the 997.2
You can also get CPO .1s
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

C2S.1 and C2.2 are nearly equal in my book.

That said, I chose the S .1 because it had PASM, was in great condition/low miles, and was the right price. The sport steering wheel, NAV, and the larger wheels helped the decision.

The trouble with a base C2.2 is generally as follows. Very few have PASM, so you have the higher ride height and miss the sport features of a S model. So your immediately contemplating (post purchase) the need to lower the car, get larger wheels, and add exhaust mods for better sound. For me, settling for a .2 got tricky because .2 S cars are very attractive. This solves the PASM and sport questions, but at more $$.

In the end, the older S made the best sense for me. PCM and other tech upgrades don't matter. The most angst for me was deciding whether to get PDK. If I hadn't been interested in PDK the way I was, the .1 S model would have been a clear and easier choice. Of course I never make things easy on myself.

But no regrets.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

These are very good points. If you're going to have it as a daily driver or spend a lot of time in the car you should consider this. I do the weekend warrior thing in mine and it is a 3rd vehicle so my perspective is different.

Originally Posted by Jackson22
This is one where I feel qualified to opine...I had a 2008 C4S, Sport Chrono, Manual 997.1 and LOVED that car. Last year, I traded it in for a 2012 C4GTS, Sport Chrono, PDK and they're totally different cars. The 997.1 sounded amazing, felt old school and the manual was fantastic (most of the time...I did snap the cable switching into second gear one morning and don't even get me started on getting caught on L.A. freeways in traffic in that car), but the 997.2, to me, is perfection.

Here's why: the 997.2 handles SO much better and just feels way more stable. I also love the aggressive front end with the LEDs and the DFI (these are things I used to wish I had when I saw them on 997.2s in my 997.1). Also, the 997.2 has satellite radio and the NAV system crushes the old, CD-based one. The new car diverts me away from traffic situations and I love the large touchscreen. Also, while there are times that I miss the manual transmission, the PDK is just a beautiful piece of machinery that works with you...in Sport Plus mode, for example, it's a joke. I feel like I'm driving a racecar and it's a BEAST, but then when I want to just cruise low-key, I switch it off and the car purs around the streets (getting me great gas mileage, I might add). I love the PDK versatility (again, particularly given that I'm in SoCal and traffic with a manual is beyond maddeningl).

In any case, if I were you, I'd look for a 997.2 S...there's got to be one you can find for a good price and believe me, you will not be disappointed.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Both are obviously great cats. My decision was 997.1 c2s due to better sports handling and feel with two options I would not go without PASM and PSE. I also talked to my indy whom I trust and he said his choice is 3.8 engine. IMS issues are rare and even rarer on IMS redesign and in his opinion highly exaggerated.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo
997.1 C2S has some nice options, sounds nicer, better steering feel, closest you'll probably get to a GT3 car especially if its got X51, sports suspension etc.

997.2 should be more reliable, better fuel economy and nicer inside.

I went with a C2S, if you love driving, track days etc, then C2S, if its going to be a road only car and driven as daily hack 997.2 C2 better option.
+1... 2S also has better brakes, lower, PASM by default, etc...

If you care about electronics, 997.2 is definitely superior.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

I haven't driven the 997.1S, but crossed it off my list because I didn't want to lose sleep worrying about the possibility of IMS failure. In the end I picked up a 997.2 base with CPO and couldn't be happier, but this is my first Porsche.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S vs 997.2 Base Car