Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally - my first issue (tpms stuck in learning mode)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Finally - my first issue (tpms stuck in learning mode)

Yes. My first bug to sort out.

Was fiddling around with the computer yesterday and was trying to view the tires in full psi as opposed to -/+ mode. Hit a bunch of buttons after not getting the full readings. The reset was hit and now the car is stuck in learning mode. The computer also flashed tpm inactive, forget the sequence. Anyway, have a good excuse to drive the car now before the snow today, and log more miles to see if it learns and the message goes away. (6speed has a post indicating 6 miles to relearn) I only did a few miles after the fiddling yesterday. But, suspect there might be a tpms issue as only the right side tires are showing measures.

If its a tpms battery issue, I'm wondering how to shut off the warning message. Dura metric etc. Car has newer rubber and I'm not going to have the tires off till they're done.

I'll report back in a few.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan

Was fiddling around with the computer yesterday and was trying to view the tires in full psi as opposed to -/+ mode. Hit a bunch of buttons after not getting the full readings. The reset was hit and now the car is stuck in learning mode. The computer also flashed tpm inactive, forget the sequence. Anyway, have a good excuse to drive the car now before the snow today, and log more miles to see if it learns and the message goes away. (6speed has a post indicating 6 miles to relearn) I only did a few miles after the fiddling yesterday. But, suspect there might be a tpms issue as only the right side tires are showing measures.

If its a tpms battery issue, I'm wondering how to shut off the warning message. Dura metric etc. Car has newer rubber and I'm not going to have the tires off till they're done.

I've never had mine relearn in 6 miles, more like 30 minutes or more of driving.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan

are they the original batts? then they might be the problem. a good way to check if it's them or a general TPMS issue is switch the tires to the other side and see if they register over there too.

IIRC duramet cannot simply turn off the warning. you first have to disconnect the TPMS module (near/behind the brake booster? i'm not sure but i've seen DIYs on here somwhere before) then use duramet to tell the car that TPMS doesnt exist.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Update.

Tpms relearned in 5 miles. Then an add air warning showed 4 psi needed for right rear.

So added air and reset in 2 miles. All four wheels matched tire gauge 33/f and 39/r. Just as I rolled in the garage the left front dropped to 31/f. Oh well at least the warning light is off.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Durametric will show how much battery life(months) is left on each TPMS sensor.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did good. I just had mine take 35 miles to learn!!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 PM
svt1
Intermediate

I am having this same issue. Before installing my track tires which have Porsche TPMS in them, I got a warning light saying the TPMS was not working.

Figuring since the car is a 2006, the TPMS batteries must be going south, I had my shop order new sensors from Porsche for the rear tires as I am having the OEM Pirelli Rosso's replaced.

So anyway, I put the 18" track wheels on, and went through the menu screen to set the computer to recongnize the 18" summer tires, and the learning process for the TPMS has never set. I drove it for about 60 miles today and the warning light is still on and driving me nuts!

What sould I do next?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Default |

Originally Posted by svt1
I am having this same issue. Before installing my track tires which have Porsche TPMS in them, I got a warning light saying the TPMS was not working.

Figuring since the car is a 2006, the TPMS batteries must be going south, I had my shop order new sensors from Porsche for the rear tires as I am having the OEM Pirelli Rosso's replaced.

So anyway, I put the 18" track wheels on, and went through the menu screen to set the computer to recongnize the 18" summer tires, and the learning process for the TPMS has never set. I drove it for about 60 miles today and the warning light is still on and driving me nuts!

What sould I do next?
Agree, the yellow warning light is annoying. My sensors turned out to be okay so my perspective is limited.

Try reselecting tires and learning again. I'd do this each day for week.

Then wait another 100 miles for relearning and then consider replacing the front sensors. The difference in signal strength between the front and back might be delaying or disrupting learning. Or some cars are just slow to learn.

That said, I'd wait on the front tires to wear out and then add new sensors. Or shut the code off.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I would check the tire preasure on all 4 tires with a quality tire gauge then go for a ride and have the Tpms relearned.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Doctorpee
7th Gear

Angry TPMS Blues

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I've never had mine relearn in 6 miles, more like 30 minutes or more of driving.
I replaced the TPMS sensors on my 2008 997 last summer. I bought them on line, and they are not the OEM sensors, which are Huf and apparently work best, but are a lot more expensive.
The new sensors are finicky, and sometimes take awhile to display pressures. At other times the display will go blank for awhile.
Took the car out of winter storage and while the sensors are working I can't get rid of the warning light and the message "wheels/tires changed?"
Have gone through the manual and had no luck resetting there system. Does this have to be done at dealer?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 PM
Doctorpee
7th Gear

Wink Seems to be working

Originally Posted by Doctorpee
I replaced the TPMS sensors on my 2008 997 last summer. I bought them on line, and they are not the OEM sensors, which are Huf and apparently work best, but are a lot more expensive.
The new sensors are finicky, and sometimes take awhile to display pressures. At other times the display will go blank for awhile.
Took the car out of winter storage and while the sensors are working I can't get rid of the warning light and the message "wheels/tires changed?"
Have gone through the manual and had no luck resetting there system. Does this have to be done at dealer?
I might have "tricked" it to work and set the TPMS system. I chose "TMPS" and when I pushed the lever forward, it went to the screen where it shows the four wheel pressure numbers and some are +1, some -, some -1. I just left it on that screen and it eventually went to the "system learning" message and eventually the warning light went out. The system certainly did not respond as it was supposed to in the manual.

Quick Reply: Finally - my first issue (tpms stuck in learning mode)