Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension Travel question for the Engineers out there.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Travel question for the Engineers out there.

Just curious, when the rear suspension flexes and contracts due to turns or bumps, does the rear wheel rock up and inwards (Top towards the vehicle and bottom out) as it rises? Or does the wheel stay fairly vertical and the entire wheel carrier moves up and then inward on an arc? I'm figuring it has to move inward due to the upper and lower control arms having a fixed length so there must be some arc to the motion.

I see lots of cars with wheels that are very flush to the fender, lowered cars, or even racing wheels 12 inches wide and wonder about the mechanics of the rear suspension and how the rear wheel suspension works to avoid the small 3/4 inch lip of the rear fenders.

Thanks
Matt
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Up and inward. It's the reason you get negative camber gain when lowering the ride height.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM
pnwc4s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no engineer!! but I remember reading that the 997 also toes-in under load (suspension compression). I think it's a property of the multi-link rear suspension that Porsche has more control over how it changes geometry under load. It's one of the subtle but important differences with the Cayman.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Travel question for the Engineers out there.