Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Apple dock 30-pin and SW

I've used search already
So here goes.
On my late MY2005 (dont know if this matters), I have a 30-pin socket for Apple.
Here is what I've tried:

iPhone gen 4 - does not integrate or charge. Starts playing music for 2 secs and quits.

iPod Touch 2-nd gen (I think) - Does fully integrate. Does not charge. Plays music fine and allows all selections / controls done from PCM.

iPod Mini 2-nd gen with 32GB flash memory and battery upgrade (both aftermarket)- Poorly integrates (can do selections on top level, but when I try to go down selection tree (e.g., from "artists" to the list of artists) it shows "No iPod, No iPod, No iPod,.." etc instead of actual list and I could not make any selection. Plays music pre-selected on iPod side fine, does not charge.

I think the charging issue is well understood, as it is a USB vs Firewire issue. My 2005 connector is designed for 12v Firewire charging and those newer devices rely on USB 5v chagring. The two use different pins in a 30-pin socket.

My question is for the control side of things. I am not an Apple guy and do not know much about SW revisions and changes over time. I am sure that physical 30-pin dock connector stayed the same, however perhaps SW protocols changed. Do you guys know how to choose a proper SW version for my Mini to integrate, as iPod Touch does?

I just like mini better as it is smaller and fits well in the car's compartment with the cable plugged in.

Any advice or research direction would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Sugar997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use this with a iPhone 4S and ipod mini that without it would not charge.

http://www.scosche.com/charging-adapter-for-ipod-iphone

Last edited by Sugar997; 02-24-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Sugar. You are giving a good advice and link for those who need to resolve charging issues.

My question is about integration for iPod Mini rather than charging. I am thinking about SW version I need to install to make it work. Or perhaps in Apple world which I am not too much of a fan this is a big NO-NO
Anyway, any information from more Apple experienced folk would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For the charging problem, go to dealer and get the $30ish dollar y-cable that pulls charge power from the USB - unless you need the USB port.

For integration, I think I read that at some point Apple also dropped the auto-interface pin.. but that may be through the adapter for the new lightning to 20 pin adapter Apple sells. I'd expect the 30pin Apple devices to all support that.

I'll try my car out tonight. I had the issues with my old iPod Photo discharging when the car was off (it would charge fine when driving).. and swapped to a last generation 30pin ipod nano, now on the y-cable. I thought it played well, but I'd not tried to drill down into the menus. I'll give it a go and report back with what I find and what PCM software version I have.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I tested mine out and things work super well. The car had not been started in over 2 weeks. Got in, inserted the key and my ipod Nano started playing just fine.. not discharged.

I tested out the iPod source features and was able to see 'albums', 'artists' and 'by genre' lists just fine, as well as straight up track list.

My PCM system version is V1.40 (Under INFO -> sub-option menu "version")

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quick Reply: Apple dock 30-pin and SW