Sponsored by:

Slight crack sound in the shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Slight crack sound in the shifter

Today I noticed a crack sound in the shifter ****. Was running the car hard to 7k range and shifted fast and hard into third gear. Could feel a cracking vibration as to shifter hit into gear. Not bad but seemed odd. I was being forceful in moving the stick fast. In normal shifting, everything is normal.

The car has a b&m short shifter that I installed. I'm fairly sure it was installed properly and was adjusted tightly. There is some play side to side in gear but this seems fine and like the stock shifter.

It could be the plastic lock fitting on the boot sliding. I'll check this. Or just the plastic **** flexing.

Btw. The engine sounds great hitting 7k. Loads of fun letting the car get some winter exercise with the engine warmed up to temp.

Anyone experience this?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a B&M SSK but have not experienced this. If it's loud enough could you post a sound file of the cracking sounds. I wonder if it's a broken plastic part such as the lock bushing(as you've noted) or possible the frame which the shifter resides within. It may require the removal of the shifter boot to inspect the bushing and shifter frame. GL and let us know the outcome. I'm very interested in the root cause of this issue for obvious reasons.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 02-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

It's not really audible. The plastic piece noted is the screw mechanism holding the top end of the leather boot by the ****. Will pull the boot off to inspect things in general.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your shift cable. It may be on its last legs.

Before mine broke, I could feel a crunchiness when I shifted.

Quick Reply: Slight crack sound in the shifter