Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump noise?

Hello. I traced a noise on the engine to the power streering pump. It sounds like worn bearing or something. It still has power streering fluid in it. The fluid appears full and in good condition. It hasn't leaked from what I can tell. Should I bother changing the fluid and seeing if the noise goes away? Or just change the pump. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by red996
Hello. I traced a noise on the engine to the power streering pump. It sounds like worn bearing or something. It still has power streering fluid in it. The fluid appears full and in good condition. It hasn't leaked from what I can tell. Should I bother changing the fluid and seeing if the noise goes away? Or just change the pump. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
You have to be sure the noise is coming from the power steering pump. So often noises in that area are hard to pinpoint. The one time I heard a noise from that area -- in my 03 Turbo -- it proved to be an idler roller bearing right next to the power steering pump.

If the fluid level is ok and you are sure the noise is from the pump then replacing the pump is a good idea.

Now let me say that I make the above recommendation on what I gather from talking to techs about various things.

For instance, some time ago I was curious about the AWD system in my Turbo and the cardan shaft and the front diff. I asked the techs how reliable these items are and was told they are very reliable. I asked the techs how many they had replaced and they told a me a few. When I asked what prompted the replacement they told me the items replaced were making noise. There was no real diagnosis made other than to confirm the customer's complaint about noise was valid.

Same for the rear diff. Absent any obvious signs of trouble -- like a cracked case and fluid dribbling out -- just "noise" and the unit is replaced. There is no drawn out involved in depth investigation.

So in the case of the power steering pump making noise -- as long as you are *sure* the noise comes from the pump -- and it is not low on fluid, I'd say replacement is called for. 'course I am not a professional tech so if you want to get one's opinion before you replace the pump that's a very good idea. In fact I would insist you get a 2nd opinion.

If you want drive the car until it is fully up to temp and then somewhere you have room at slow speed make a sharp u-turn to the left. After the turn let the wheel go and note where it stops. Then repeat going the other direction and repeat the above several times.

If the wheel doesn't return to the same place after every u-turn the rack can be suspect. How this can result in noise from the pump I can only guess -- the pump is having to work harder? -- but this suggests that the pump may not be at fault. But you would need the input of qualified tech before making any decision on what to do next.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

I took out the air box and the drive belt. I did spin all of the pulleys. The only noise is comming from the steering pump. It seems to have slack in it and when I spin it rattles. I have already started to take out the power steering pump. Removed the throttle body. Having fun
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Ok. So I took out the intake. Pumped out as much powersteering fluid as possible. Had to loosen the 3 bolts holding the Air conditioner compressor in place. A bit of wiggling and it's out. That power steering fluid goes everywhere. Kind of messy. Had alot of paper towels at the ready. Just got to wait for parts!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting this thread because I have the same symptoms. I have a whining sound coming from the engine compartment. High pitched. Frequency seems to coincide with RPMs (higher RPMs = higher frequency whine). Sounds very much like when electrical interference from the engine comes through your speakers (but its not bc my PCM is dead - another story). Anyway, I took the belt off yesterday and started the car - no whine. When I quickly change direction of rotation on the power steering pulley I get a rattling sound as Red996 describes. No play in the pulley otherwise. No signs of leak. Power steering fluid level was where it should be. I've currently got 56k miles on the car and I checked my notes from 46k miles when I last looked at pulleys. I noted then that the power steering pulley was rattling. I had since forgotten.

These are the comments I wrote down at 46k and nothing seems to have changed since except the whining noise which started about 3 weeks ago.
  • Generator pulley - can pull/push on pulley in its mounting axis and get visible play/movement and noise
  • Water Pump pulley - can pull/wiggle pulley and get slight play
  • Power Steering pulley - can quickly change direction of rotation and get rattling sound. No play.
  • A/C Compressor pulley - can pull/wiggle pulley and get slight play

1. Should I pre-emptively replace the PS pump? If so, anyone (Red996) know how long that takes?
2. Should I get a tech to check it out for me so I don't waste time and money on replacing a part unnecessarily?
3. Any other thoughts?

TIA
Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
Resurrecting this thread because I have the same symptoms. I have a whining sound coming from the engine compartment. High pitched. Frequency seems to coincide with RPMs (higher RPMs = higher frequency whine). Sounds very much like when electrical interference from the engine comes through your speakers (but its not bc my PCM is dead - another story). Anyway, I took the belt off yesterday and started the car - no whine. When I quickly change direction of rotation on the power steering pulley I get a rattling sound as Red996 describes. No play in the pulley otherwise. No signs of leak. Power steering fluid level was where it should be. I've currently got 56k miles on the car and I checked my notes from 46k miles when I last looked at pulleys. I noted then that the power steering pulley was rattling. I had since forgotten.

These are the comments I wrote down at 46k and nothing seems to have changed since except the whining noise which started about 3 weeks ago.
  • Generator pulley - can pull/push on pulley in its mounting axis and get visible play/movement and noise
  • Water Pump pulley - can pull/wiggle pulley and get slight play
  • Power Steering pulley - can quickly change direction of rotation and get rattling sound. No play.
  • A/C Compressor pulley - can pull/wiggle pulley and get slight play

1. Should I pre-emptively replace the PS pump? If so, anyone (Red996) know how long that takes?
2. Should I get a tech to check it out for me so I don't waste time and money on replacing a part unnecessarily?
3. Any other thoughts?

TIA
In doing a similar test/check of my Boxster's various accessory drives -- admittedly some couple of years ago -- I do not recall any play at any accessory drive other than the water pump and then only a very slight amount of play but enough to have my change the water pump which cured the noise that drove me to check for play at the accessory drives in the first place.

I do recall that the water pump play was so slight that is was the absence of any play at any of the other accessory drives that had me suspecting the water pump and rightly so as it turned out.

The bit of rattle when changing rotational direction of the power steering pump may be normal. It can be the pump impellers, gears, or blades (depends upon the type of pump). IOWs it is the same sort of rattle you would get from say -- if you could do this -- doing the same "test" with say the engine oil pump. There would be some rattle which is the play of the gears.

My point is that I do not think you have enough evidence to clearly condemn the power steering pump. It is an expensive item to replace especially if it is not bad.

Thus my recommendation would be #2: Have a tech check out the noise and advise you as to what he thinks is its cause.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 AM
iammulva
Racer

Thanks Macster, I'll do that. Appreciate the quick response.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Hey. Yea, I replaced the power steering pump. I found it to be pretty difficult. There is little to no room to get it out after taking out the intake and loosening the ac compressor. The worst part is the power steering fluid. You need to suck it out with some sort of hand pump. That stupid hard line that goes into the back of the fluid tank has no play in it what so ever. I don't think it can be removed without destroying it. Plan on replacing that too. You may need to take the tank to your local dealer to have the hardline, or what's left of it removed. It's held in with a strange fitting that needs a special fuel line tool to remove it. If you do decide you need to do this, take a picture of how the power steering fluid hard line is ran. Just make sure it's the power steering pump that's your problem.... Spin those pulleys!

Last edited by red996; 11-11-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM
iammulva
Racer

Good info - I'm gonna turn it over to the experts. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Update: Took it by local mechanic at lunch. Was not making the whining noise. Figures.

Last edited by iammulva; 11-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump noise?