Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport button on 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Porsche of Orlando retrofit sport mode in my 05 997S and it was something like $1200 total. This does not include the chrono timer on the dash. My car is a MT so I cant comment on how it affects tiptronic shift points but I would expect it does make it more aggressive. No it cannot be set to "always on", you have to press the button to activate/deactivate sport mode.

Also, sport mode is mostly beneficial on the track and not so much on the street. I doubt you bought a tiptronic for the track so you likely wont feel like it is worth the cost for what you'll get.

There are aftermarket ECU updates as mentioned above but with something like that you're taking the risk that it could push the limits of what is safe for your engine. These N/A engines dont really have any room to squeeze out much more power. In my opinion you'll be better off spending the money on suspension upgrades if you want to have more fun in the car. Or just holding on to your money for tires and get out and drive it like it is.

And to clear up some confusion, all 997S models came with PASM which can be switched between normal and sport mode, but Sport Chrono was an option for all cars so not all S models came with it.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Edrozzy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much, that info helps. Correct, the Tip was not my first choice but considering the price, maintenance history ( think records), low miles, spotless condition, new tires, and larger engine, compromises are reality. It is a good DD. My sales guy seems really knowledgable so I got him looking into it too. Would pay up for dealer instal.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edrozzy
Thanks much, that info helps. Correct, the Tip was not my first choice but considering the price, maintenance history ( think records), low miles, spotless condition, new tires, and larger engine, compromises are reality. It is a good DD. My sales guy seems really knowledgable so I got him looking into it too. Would pay up for dealer instal.
I have an 06 S Tip with the sports chrono. There is a night and day difference with the sport mode engaged. The shift points are dramatically improved. It makes the car come alive. I would highly recommend that you install it (or at the very least - go test drive a Tip that has it so that you can see the difference for yourself). The non-sport mode is fuel economy mode... in 5th gear at 45 mph.... The only thing you won't get with is the "wart" on the dash which some don't like anyway.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Edrozzy
AutoX

Great reply re "wart". I have to agree. Got info from sun coast Porsche. About $1,150 not installed. My dealer thinks it cannot be installed on a 997.1 but I put it to sun coast and they again said yes. I think the standard peddle response and TIP are sluggish, that's why I want it installed. My first Porsche since I bought a 1980 targa SC new. So learning. That was a great car for its time.

Quick Reply: Sport button on 997.1