Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19" or 20"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013 | 11:44 PM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

Default 19" or 20"

I have read every possible post I can find here and online about replacing my 19" wheels with 20" wheels on my CS 997.2. I realize there has been disagreement about the idea of 20" wheels on a 997.2, but I am interested in hearing from owners who have actually installed 20" wheels on their 997. It seems a lot of guys have asked the same question and apparently have gone on to make the switch, but follow-up impressions have been limited.

My car will never be tracked (I live on Maui). I am only interested in the 20" wheels because, IMHO, it can improve the aesthetics of the car. I realize that is not always the case, though. Some 20" wheels don't look good on 997's because they look too big. Others look perfect. It is entirely wheel dependent in my mind.

I would appreciate feedback from owners who have made the switch regarding handling, ride quality, rubbing issues, wheel gap, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by AlohaCS; 01-29-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2013 | 12:28 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

hi. Not sure what kind of input you are after, but I have:
Black Champion RF67 wheels 20" - 245/30/20 front / 305/25/20 rear
I've been quite happy with the looks and while the road noise is a bit more pronounced, it is fine by me. Comfort is completely fine as well.
Downside is that I am looking at new tires and wanted Michelin super Sports.... apparently not available in this size. Waiting to hear about alternatives.
If not tracking, I'd say go with what you like.
I'm thinking of getting 18"s for when I do start tracking it.

Not sure this helped!
Old 01-29-2013 | 12:36 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Rollin 20s w/Hankook tires - love em both
Old 01-29-2013 | 03:19 AM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

ctrUSA and puppy,

Are your cars lowered, if so, springs or coilovers and any specifics you could offer.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013 | 09:48 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

I have techart 20s and hancook and love them but I live in the country with roads that go up and down
soooo the suspension gets a little more of a work out. Hence forth I had issues with rears rubbing on the inside until I went to spacers. I believe they were 17mm? The spacers did not help the look from the rear Imho. Make sure of your clearances
Old 01-29-2013 | 10:42 AM
gonz911
Pro

I struggled a bit with this question but the more cars I saw with 20" on the forums and comparing them to 19" series I felt from an aesthetic perspective they looked better. After posting pictures of my recent acquisition of the Vossen CV3 20" there are many who disagree, but ask me if I care? LOL.

I will say you do feel the road a little more and of course you need to be extra cautious for pot holes, however, these things notwithstanding I'm really happy I have my setup.

My car is lowered on H&R coil overs and it's "lowered" quite a bit. From the bottom of the fender lip to the bottom of the wheel lip the front is 24" and the rear 24 1/4". No rubbing.

Old 01-29-2013 | 12:59 PM
AceOfAces
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gonz911
I struggled a bit with this question but the more cars I saw with 20" on the forums and comparing them to 19" series I felt from an aesthetic perspective they looked better. After posting pictures of my recent acquisition of the Vossen CV3 20" there are many who disagree, but ask me if I care? LOL.

I will say you do feel the road a little more and of course you need to be extra cautious for pot holes, however, these things notwithstanding I'm really happy I have my setup.

My car is lowered on H&R coil overs and it's "lowered" quite a bit. From the bottom of the fender lip to the bottom of the wheel lip the front is 24" and the rear 24 1/4". No rubbing.

That looks fantastic. It really makes your 997 standout! I've been debating lowering my 997 and putting on 20's but hearing reviews of much increased road noise I've abandoned the thought.

Looks like I'll give it another thought thanks to the responses here
Old 01-29-2013 | 01:04 PM
gonz911
Pro

Thanks. I can't say it's that much noisier than the 19"s as I think the 997 (and the 996 I had) both were relatively noisy. I bought the car with 18"s and they were even noisy. In any case I really like it.
Old 01-29-2013 | 02:33 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Noise might be more of a result of tire design and other aspects like poor alignment and/or tire pressure.

It really depends on your "comfort" level with 19's and even 20's. I'm sure they are heavier than their 18" counterparts. and possibly even the tires, too. So you might actually be increasing the rotating mass, which for a street driven Pcar, minimal effect on mileage and brakes.

OEM wheels are made very well and a decent wheel will absorb potholes and uneven pavement with no ill effects to their integrity, objectively speaking. The other aspect is that you have more sidewall rubber around the 18's than low profile 19"-20" tires.

personal taste on the looks, too. Up close, the 20's scream rubber-band sidewalls. And of course, as a driver you must know your driving style and your surroundings in order to avoid curbing those wheels too easily.
Old 01-29-2013 | 04:16 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

I've not lowered mine, no.
One thing to consider is replacing tires. I wanted to go to PSS tires but they do not have them in my size... big bummer!
Old 01-29-2013 | 05:30 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AlohaCS
ctrUSA and puppy,

Are your cars lowered, if so, springs or coilovers and any specifics you could offer.

Thanks.
mine is not lowered
Old 01-29-2013 | 09:10 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

I have 20's on my other car and I personally think people that complain about the ride are exaggerating a lot, I noticed little to no difference.

To me you buy them if you do not mind the extra weight and you like the look better. I prefer 19's from a looks standpoint. The car in my opinion is to small for 20's, but looking at the pictures above all those cars look great!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 19" or 20"