997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you shift?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I shift similar to what Alexb76 wrote. Though I haven't been to the track yet. :+)

I have a related question and some comments.

In some situations, I'll shift earlier into second at 2 to 2.5k and hold it there. Usually I'll do this in heavy or tight traffic to avoid the jerkiness of 1st gear with rpms ranging from 1k thru as high as 4k. While I never heard the term of engine lugging at 3 to 4k, the jerking in 1st at these rev ranges can't be any good for the car. You can feel the strain with wide fluctuations up and down.

So my question. Does anyone ever feather the clutch in second to smooth power delivery, when staying in 2nd at lower speeds in conditions I described (heavy traffic)? I know this isn't clutch friendly and do this infrequently. It's something I learned in motocross and its particularly useful when exiting some turns.

I agreed with others on looking for the peaks and these are high. i remember my 2 stroke motocross days that shifting points were very obvious. Over reving in a gear you could easily feel the bike lose momentum, literally slowing down. Most would shift a tad before peak.

In 997, you can easily feel this in first with speeds being lower. After being blown off the line by Camrys and minivans, I realized the need for 6k plus range. While knowing the torque/hp curves peaks, it seemed a bit over the top at first. Engine becoming like Mr. Hyde etc. However, when the stereo is on and just focused on driving, the rpms are often very elevated (over 4k) and this feels very natural and smooth. I just think its matter of one overcoming the engine noise and associated vibrations. (much greater than a regular car)

The porsche is a dual personality car. Smooth for the light commute and a true hooligan.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 01-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember that Porsche engines are relatively small in displacement compared to the big high-powered V8's (and V10's) in some of the competition. They make their power with a modest amount of torque by being able to rev to high rpm's. There is nothing wrong with revving them up high, because that's what they are designed to do.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 is able to rev high to 8400, but the standard S redline is only at 7200
Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
The GT3 is able to rev high to 8400, but the standard S redline is only at 7200
Redline on the 997S is 7300.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Where abouts in North Van are you? I am at upper cap and I have a 09 carrera s for sale if you'd like to have a look :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Mount Seymour area. Your car looks like a beauty, love the Meteor Grey.

Already bought the '06 C2S but always appreciate seeing another car! PM me if you're out for a drive one night and maybe I can join ya...
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM
chbernat
Advanced

I'm with Spokane. Every chance I get I'm driving hard.... I just want even wear on the tires. :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder what Sales Seminar that guy went to!

As per shifting, I guess it is very much an art and it improves as the driver and car become better acquainted. I am normally between 4,000-5,000 rpm, otherwise it feels totally lame to me. Ditto on hitting the sweetspot when shifting to the next higher gear to improve performance.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 AM
JonasJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bullseye7
I'm in Mount Seymour area. Your car looks like a beauty, love the Meteor Grey.

Already bought the '06 C2S but always appreciate seeing another car! PM me if you're out for a drive one night and maybe I can join ya...
sounds like a plan, I let you know when my porsche buds and me are out for a coffee. Enjoy then car in good health

wrote you a pm with my email
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasJ
sounds like a plan, I let you know when my porsche buds and me are out for a coffee. Enjoy then car in good health

wrote you a pm with my email
Speaking off P-buds Jonas, we're due for a get together. This weather is driving me crazy.

As for shifting, the temptation when drivingin the city is to 'get through the gears' and thus many drive in 3rd or 4th. The engines are meant to be driven in the higher rev ranges. For some reason the TT has a lower red-line that others but I still keep the revs high after warming up. It may but a bit more fuel but it's way more fun and totally safe. The OP's salesperson doesn't know what he's talking about.

Joel
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Speaking off P-buds Jonas, we're due for a get together. This weather is driving me crazy.

As for shifting, the temptation when drivingin the city is to 'get through the gears' and thus many drive in 3rd or 4th. The engines are meant to be driven in the higher rev ranges. For some reason the TT has a lower red-line that others but I still keep the revs high after warming up. It may but a bit more fuel but it's way more fun and totally safe. The OP's salesperson doesn't know what he's talking about.

Joel
You really aren't making much sense. The "engine" is designed to be driven at rpms all the way from off idle to redline. There is nothing to suggest that while driving normally through town you need to be at 4000+rpm. All that does is waste fuel and make you look like an attention hungry tool (especially if you have a loud exhaust).

I literally cringe when I see some guy cruising around at 35mph with the tach at 5k rpm. there is zero point to this.

finally

higher rpm=higher wear.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You really aren't making much sense. The "engine" is designed to be driven at rpms all the way from off idle to redline. There is nothing to suggest that while driving normally through town you need to be at 4000+rpm. All that does is waste fuel and make you look like an attention hungry tool (especially if you have a loud exhaust).

I literally cringe when I see some guy cruising around at 35mph with the tach at 5k rpm. there is zero point to this.

finally

higher rpm=higher wear.
Yes - agreed. But less 'vanilla' and way more fun.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye7
Before buying my '06 C2S, the seller took me out and let me drive it. When we got out of traffic and properly warmed up I brought the car up to about 4,000 rpm before shifting into 3rd gear and then a bit later up to almost 5,000. The seller's eyes opened up like saucers and he told me that "this car has never been driven this hard before. Please slow it down until you own it yourself!"
Sounds like the typical Porsche customer. I guess your previous owner owned nice cars but never took them to a DE or autocross?

From what I've read from Flat6 Inovations, you're better off buying a Porsche that lives above 3K RPM than buying one that was constantly short shifted and treated with kid gloves.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny... when I was shopping for my 996, the first car I looked at the owner and I chatted for a bit, then he asked me if I knew the area that he lived in. I said yes, so he tossed me the keys and said "see ya later." The second car I looked at, the owner and I chatted for a while, I asked for a test drive and he said no. "I'll take you for a drive," he said. Guess which car I bought?

On my 997, my salesman knows me pretty well so he tossed me the keys and asked me to get back before they closed for the day (6 hours later).

Of all the cars I've ever sold myself, I've never once asked a potential buyer to slow down or take it easy. I have suggested that they go faster though.

Oh, and I shift when I feel like it. Maybe 2.5K. Maybe 6k. The latter only after the oil has warmed up. These bigger engines don't mind if you short shift them a bit.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by gino'61
Wonder what Sales Seminar that guy went to!

As per shifting, I guess it is very much an art and it improves as the driver and car become better acquainted. I am normally between 4,000-5,000 rpm, otherwise it feels totally lame to me. Ditto on hitting the sweetspot when shifting to the next higher gear to improve performance.
Best point here!
The guy was just trying to make a sale. Nobody in their right mind drives a 911 like that! It looks like it worked since you've bought the car.
What was your first thought when you heard that? Maybe a little uncomfortable to be ' preached ' by the seller about your driving habits,but then you started thinking... ' This might be some good car to be pampered like that! '
Anyway,IMO the engine ' tells ' you when it's time to shift,you just have to listen...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When do you shift?