Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

+1 on most HFT aluminum floor jacks. I've had good luck too. I have heard of a few HFT leakers, but they usually leak early so use it right away and return w/in 90 day warranty. I've also heard good reviews on the OTC and Torin jacks. I know mechanics with Craftsman "racing" jacks that take a beating, but recent reviews are disappointing. I still have a 30 year old Craftsman that works well.
One thing no one mentioned is minimum pickup height. Most aluminum floor jacks only go down to 3.5". Lower profile steel are available. I believe the AC gets lower as does the Spanish jack from Griot's. HFT has a steel jack that goes down to about 2.75". Omega makes one that goes down to 2.5". The AC, Griot's, the HFT steel and Omega are all steel and heavy, but great for garage work. The least expensive of these is the HFT ($79 on sale) followed by the Omega at about $279 - which is a true commercial jack. If your car is lowered, the lower pickup height may help. All of these jacks have been used with Jackpoint Jackstands, but the AC is a very tight fit. If you want the ultimate aluminum true race jack it's Brunhoelzl. US made essentially to your specs - $800+.
Be alert to long term use of inexpensive 1.5 ton jacks on irregular surfaces. I've seen them twist before they leak.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
+1 on most HFT aluminum floor jacks. I've had good luck too. I have heard of a few HFT leakers, but they usually leak early so use it right away and return w/in 90 day warranty. I've also heard good reviews on the OTC and Torin jacks. I know mechanics with Craftsman "racing" jacks that take a beating, but recent reviews are disappointing. I still have a 30 year old Craftsman that works well.
One thing no one mentioned is minimum pickup height. Most aluminum floor jacks only go down to 3.5". Lower profile steel are available. I believe the AC gets lower as does the Spanish jack from Griot's. HFT has a steel jack that goes down to about 2.75". Omega makes one that goes down to 2.5". The AC, Griot's, the HFT steel and Omega are all steel and heavy, but great for garage work. The least expensive of these is the HFT ($79 on sale) followed by the Omega at about $279 - which is a true commercial jack. If your car is lowered, the lower pickup height may help. All of these jacks have been used with Jackpoint Jackstands, but the AC is a very tight fit. If you want the ultimate aluminum true race jack it's Brunhoelzl. US made essentially to your specs - $800+.
Be alert to long term use of inexpensive 1.5 ton jacks on irregular surfaces. I've seen them twist before they leak.
Great info. This is what I love about Rennlist. If you want the best, you can find it here, whether you can afford it or not!

Who makes the jacks on your site? Are they US? Chinese? Is there a Rennlist, PCA or group buy price?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Harbor freight low profile has served me well.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Only the Jackpoint jack stands are US made. The Omega jacks are imported. Brunhoelzl and Hein-Werner are the only US made jacks I'm aware of and Hein-Werner is owned by SFA which also owns Omega equipment. The Omega 29025 retails for around $350 but sells online between $289 - $299. We have it at $279 with $20 off if purchased with a pair of jack stands. Omega has an aluminum jack that we carry. Nice jack - but it's not as cheap as the HFT. The big advantage with the 29025 is it's hard to find a jack in that price range that will get down to 2.5". Omega has a new aluminum jack - the 26022. I don't have pricing - but it's less than the 26020.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Like I said before, American Forge & Foundry 200T (AFF) they make them here and are low profile enough to use on any Porsche.. 2 3/4" low height, High height 20" 259.95 on-line

No affiliation here, just a happy owner

Quick Reply: Floor Jacks