GT Sliver vs Platinum Silver vs Arctic Silver Dissertation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GT Sliver vs Platinum Silver vs Arctic Silver Dissertation

Hello all,

Here is what I can tell about the three silvers that have been available on 997.2

Arctic silver--hint of white, most silver silver you can get on Porsche

Platinum silver--hint of brown/beige. Looks brownish in shade, silver in sunlight

GT silver metallic--hint of blue; much less so than BMW Silverstone II metallic

Why was GT silver metallic a $3,400 option? Heard it was hand rubbed between coats. Can anyone shed insight into this, as many manufacturers have "special" paints such as alubeam silver (MB SLS AMG) or super silver (Nissan GT-R)?

Obviously paint is not just paint anymore.

Is anyone bothered when there are colors like "titanium silver" or platinum silver? I mean titanium alloy is grey, not sliver for example. Just a pet peeve.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Having seen all three in person, I prefer GT Silver. I think it's worth the premium. Some of the more special colors (like my car's Atlas) can really make the looks of a 911. If I were to order a silver 911 today, I'd do a PTS Polar Silver - very blue silver from the 993.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Your comments on silver are interesting, especially Arctic Silver which is the only one I've ever owned on a Porsche (several times). I've always thought that Arctic also had a very subtle brownish tone, which is partly why my Boxster S with a brown top and my current Carrera S with Cocoa interior look good with it.

Arctic's brown tint is particularly noticeable when compared to other silvers like Audi's Ice Silver. Althoug the Audi is picking up highlights from the sky, it's actually not that blue in person. The rear quarter panel is closer to the actual color than the doors. But the shot does show the brown in Arctic pretty clearly.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike in CA:
cyclrder (01-03-2021), EVOMMM (11-21-2023)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Having seen all three in person, I prefer GT Silver. I think it's worth the premium. Some of the more special colors (like my car's Atlas) can really make the looks of a 911. If I were to order a silver 911 today, I'd do a PTS Polar Silver - very blue silver from the 993.
Love Polar Silver!! That being said I'd do something else with PTS

Tom
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

No hand rubbing, promise.

PAG decides from time to time, in no rational way, to take colors off the list, make them 'special order' or not available, simply to bilk customers for even more when they 'want it' bad enough. It's ridiculous. Cost for GTS vs Arctic is negligible, even when we do the small stuff.

GTS has more black in it as well as a few other tints.

If you really want to know why Arctic is called Arctic, drive an Arctic 911 on a sunny or partially sunny morning. Glance at the driver's side front fender/hood as you drive with light coming towards you. You'll understand why.

There are some crazy paints we've used over the years that DO cost significantly more, in some cases due to the various tints involved (multi stage pearls, multi color flake in the metallic, etc), and of course who can forget VoilettaChromaFlair for the Millennium Edition 911 - almost black/purple until you approach, then color flop in the flake makes the paint turn green, purple, blue, black again. That crap was nearly $400 for a pint a year after the car was released to the public (2001).

Polar is still around and was on the 986/996 for quite some time too. Nice bluish undertone to the silver. And the Ice Blue Metallic PAG bit the dust on was a stunner too - we produced a number of things in it, and it's really cool to see in person, but they just could not get it right between bumper, hood, fenders, etc. No idea why, since we pulled it off just fine on Bumper and Door Plugs, and a few other goodies.

But with Porsche, they can price things anyway they want, and it's part of the continuing mystique - and totally without reason.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

The following 2 users liked this post by Eric - Plug Guy:
alexb76 (01-04-2021), elwademd (11-21-2023)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

they are different but not different enough to spend extra money on them.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Love Polar Silver!! That being said I'd do something else with PTS

Tom
Agreed - I just said Polar if he was committed to silver. I'd go for Meissen Blue, Signal Green, or Malachite Green if I did PTS (assuming Gulf Blue is a no-go).
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Agreed - I just said Polar if he was committed to silver. I'd go for Meissen Blue, Signal Green, or Malachite Green if I did PTS (assuming Gulf Blue is a no-go).
Hey Chris......I think Gulf Blue is always a no go! I love that Signal Green with the yellow hue to it....what a color!

Tom
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
paddyh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_louis
Why was GT silver metallic a $3,400 option? Heard it was hand rubbed between coats. Can anyone shed insight into this, ...
GT Silver is faster? I have a GT Silver, and that's what I was told.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Your comments on silver are interesting, especially Arctic Silver which is the only one I've ever owned on a Porsche (several times). I've always thought that Arctic also had a very subtle brownish tone, which is partly why my Boxster S with a brown top and my current S with Cocoa interior look good with it.

Arctic's brown tint is particularly noticeable when compared to other silvers like Audi's Ice Silver. Althoug the Audi is picking up highlights from the sky, it's actually not that blue in person. The rear quarter panel is closer to the actual color than the doors. But the shot does show the brown in Arctic pretty clearly.
When my AS is parked in sunlight and side-by-side with my wife's silver BMW, the AS shows a hint of bronze.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Kurt RSF
Rennlist Member

Default GT Silver

I think GT Silver was introduced with and was a paint option on the Carrera GT. Porsche has kept it an extra-cost option on their other cars. I think it's a little earthier than arctic, which to my eye is a little brighter. I have an '05 I ordered with GT Silver and full terracotta interior. I think the combination looks great, and I think any of the brown interiors would also look great with GT Silver.

I also like the Platinum Silver on the new cars. It looks great with red full leather on the new Boxster. I'd love to pick up a 993 in Polar Silver, a blueish silver.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I like all the silvers, but i agree with Chris, a PTS blue or green would be worth paying extra for. Malachite Green is one of my favorites.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
When my AS is parked in sunlight and side-by-side with my wife's silver BMW, the AS shows a hint of bronze.
I said brownish tint, but bronze may be a more accurate description in some lighting.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

my vote for Artic Silver
But I'm partial
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by Volnomad
I like all the silvers, but i agree with Chris, a PTS blue or green would be worth paying extra for. Malachite Green is one of my favorites.
Gorgeous!

The following 3 users liked this post by Chris from Cali:
cyclrder (01-03-2021), elwademd (11-21-2023), William Baker (12-27-2020)

Quick Reply: GT Sliver vs Platinum Silver vs Arctic Silver Dissertation