Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a problem with a 997.2 911 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 AM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is there a problem with a 997.2 911 C4S?

hello everyone
is there a problem in terms of performance or the ownership experience with a 911 C4S? I am under the impression that they are slow sellers. I'm sure that there are many happy owners out there, but what are the issues (if any)?

The new BMW M3 coupe is going to be called the M4, which is not only an abomination but just a thinly veiled excuse by ivy league marketers to charge way more. Car is probably going to be in $80K range, which is solidly in lightly used P-car territory so I am investigating 911s.

I really like the 2011-2012 GTS (don't plan on changing wheels, so I don't have an issue with centerlocks), but not sure how many of them are going to come off lease or have owners who will get sick of them.

thanks everyone
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

c4S is a great car. Just sold my 2009. Good resale too.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy it!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
03911TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome cars! Love mine and I traded an '03 Turbo for the '09C4S and haven't regretted that decision.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Love my new to me 09 C4S. No complaints. Do it.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing I am aware of, funny you mention GTS, I just bought my C2S, my budget was to stay undeer $80k, if it were a year later I would have been only looking for GTS. I did not have a preference one way or the other, but found a C2S that I knew I had to have.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_louis
hello everyone
is there a problem in terms of performance or the ownership experience with a 911 C4S? I am under the impression that they are slow sellers. I'm sure that there are many happy owners out there, but what are the issues (if any)?

The new BMW M3 coupe is going to be called the M4, which is not only an abomination but just a thinly veiled excuse by ivy league marketers to charge way more. Car is probably going to be in $80K range, which is solidly in lightly used P-car territory so I am investigating 911s.

I really like the 2011-2012 GTS (don't plan on changing wheels, so I don't have an issue with centerlocks), but not sure how many of them are going to come off lease or have owners who will get sick of them.

thanks everyone
I considered the question of C4 vs. C2 when I was looking for a 997 two years ago. The only tangible issue I could find were:
1. Added weight... the AWD drive train will add ~300lbs+ I believe
2. Maintenance cost... AWD will cost more to maintain over time as it's more complex.

After that it's really about preferences and climate/location:
1. Are you located in an area/climate where AWD is of benefit? And do you have another DD, 4x4 SUV/truck, for bad weather day? Some will put their 911 up for the winter. Is this your only car and it needs to be an all weather vehicle along with being a sports car?
2. Are you looking for the traditional feel of the Porsche "pendulum rear end swing" characteristic with a C2 or for the more planted feel of AWD with the C4?
3. Does the aesthetic appearance of wider hips accelerate your heart rate and BP? BTW, the GTS can be had with wider hips in a C2 package as well.

I was a former BMW enthusiast for many years when they were nimble and drove like sports cars. After driving my prior E36 M3 for ten years I could not make the move into the heavier M3's being produced these days. So after test driving various newer M3's and Porsche variants I found that the C2S spoke to me the most... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 911 variants but get some seat time in each type and see which one pulls on your "soul speed" the most. GL with the hunt.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:08 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

hello everyone

thanks everyone
Used C4S are generally listed for more so this might explain the slower selling pace. They are also fewer in number. From what I've seen, C4S tend to be more heavily optioned and sellers have this in thier price.

I'm a RWD guy and never tried one. Anyone in Chicago willing to let me drive their C4 and be converted??

That said, it seems all the C4 owners are quite pleased with their big butt cars. Haven't seen any specific AWD owernship issues on this forum.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

The "4" is worth it for the big *** alone!!

Besides the obvious esthetic attraction, it was the perfect car for me. I wanted to AWD because I live in Toronto and drive it year round. I also got the cab for the lovely but relatively short summers we have - need to enjoy every minute.

I also track mine and it feels solid and planted (same for day to day and bad weather). I know some guys like the 2wd and lighter feel for the track but i am not a good enough driver to notice at least at this point

I have never heard of a problem specific to the C4S given the only difference is really just the AWD. In fact I havent ever seen a thread about a problem about the AWD system. I am sure they are out there but I havent seen them
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM
riksche
Track Day

I really love my c4GTS. Don't really understand all the complaining about the CL wheels. I have a separate set of track wheels/tires and a separate set of snow tires/wheels and change them myself with no problems. A couple of extra tools and you are good to go. The car is awesome at the track and in the snow.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Where do you live? If in the snowbelt and you plan to drive all year, the C4S is a no brainer. You mention the GTS and 'how many will come off lease'. Are you looking to buy now or in a year or two when they hit the used market? If the former, there are still a few new ones around that you should be able to get for a nice discount. If the latter, I wouldn't count on too many of them becoming available. dave
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
stacheman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

C4S Cab and love it-coming up on 4 yrs. (09) and don't see any need for a change-drove it home from T.O.on delivery in a snowstorm and grinned the whole way. My wife made a poster of the arrival and it is hanging in the cottage with me grinning ear to ear posing with my WHITE basalt black cab!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 2009 C4S (launch edition) - it was a phenomenal car. My wife and I drove it cross-country, took it on track at Laguna Seca, etc. It was my only car for a long time, so I drove it in winters (snow), on the highway, in traffic, and just for fun. It is really a phenomenal car. I only sold it because I was buying a house and I wasn't in love with PDK. I never had a single issue in 20,000 miles.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Love my C4S Cab (2009). I admit, I got it for the big butt but it sure is nice to be surefooted with some of the torrential rains (and horrible road surfaces) we get here in South Florida. It is my daily driver and only car.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Big butt all the way for us.

Quick Reply: Is there a problem with a 997.2 911 C4S?