Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a problem with a 997.2 911 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
I know of no study showing decreased reliability with the AWD cars, nor do I think there is a handling "penalty". Having driven both, all I can say is that either a RWD or AWD 911 is a spectacular handling car.

If you like to get the tail out, the C2S will appeal more to you, if you like a grip monster with a slightly faster acceleration, the C4S is the way to go, especially if weather might be a concern. Winter tires/rims should be used with either during the cold season, though.

The wider rear of the 997-era C4s seems more prominent than the 991 C4s, as the newer RWD cars rear haunches are wider already to my eyes, at least in pics and in person. The wide-butt of the 997 is amazing; heresy I know, but it's as pleasurable to look at as it is to drive. I think you have nothing to worry about.
IMMHO the "new" R/awd system has not been in use long enough to have an opinion about reliability. Given that it is so much more robust function wise over the VC/TC combination I suspect it will not be nearly as reliable in the long term. More useful, functional, (in SPADES!) more "wear" = earlier failures.

The aggragated history of this type of drive coupling clutch is not so good, the Ford Escape F/awd driveline componant overheating, as an example

But still, if you want the "tail out", then turn PSM off and open the circuit to the front drive clutch.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Bdal451
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
The "4" is worth it for the big *** alone!!

Besides the obvious esthetic attraction, it was the perfect car for me. I wanted to AWD because I live in Toronto and drive it year round. I also got the cab for the lovely but relatively short summers we have - need to enjoy every minute.

I also track mine and it feels solid and planted (same for day to day and bad weather). I know some guys like the 2wd and lighter feel for the track but i am not a good enough driver to notice at least at this point

I have never heard of a problem specific to the C4S given the only difference is really just the AWD. In fact I havent ever seen a thread about a problem about the AWD system. I am sure they are out there but I havent seen them
+1 as I live in Denver. Love my 2009 C4S!

Quick Reply: Is there a problem with a 997.2 911 C4S?