Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gottacayman
Awesome, I went ahead and bought the CTEK 3300 on Ebay. Even comes with the cig. lighter plug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190629049590...84.m1423.l2649

which mode do I leave it on when it's on storage for the winter? The car or the one with the snowflake?
Again, it basically does not matter, you can safely use the "snowflake" mode year around. The maintainer's "charge" voltage will then always be at the higher voltage winter setting but it cannot source enough power (~15V x 3.3A = <50W) into a car battery to be of any substantive interest. On the other hand if the car is parked inside in the warm when on the maintainer the summer setting could be used all year 'round.

Last edited by wwest; 01-03-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 AM
golfpig
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought the CTEK 3300 for CDN$85.00 but it doesnt have the cigarette lighter attachment. any ideas on where to pick one up where it may easily attach to the unit?

Golf Pigging
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the OEM battery died just after a couple years on my 997.2, I used a Porsche Charge-O-Matic. I just plugged it in the 12V outlet inside the car, and close the door. It worked pretty well for me so far.

And as folks say, the CTEK 3300 is essentially the same thing, and cost less.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
It really, totally doesn't matter, a simple diode with power resistor (Household AC line...160 volts peak -14 volts = 146 volts at 2A max = 300 watt 73 ohm resistor.

not suggesting that this is anyone's solution, just an indication of how simple-minded an automotive lead-acid battery maintainer needs to be. Thus assumes that we're talking "maintainer" not charger.
Well with a constant 2amps at the end of 3 months storage you wil have probably boiled all the electrolyte away. A maintainer like the Ctek uses a more complicated circuit to back the current off to near zero when the battery reaches full charge. Another problem with your circuit is that with out a step down isolation transformer you may electrocute yourself or worse.
As an electrical engineer I have designed a number of chargers over the years but I just bought a Ctek because it does what I need it to and I have better things to do with my time.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by golfpig
bought the CTEK 3300 for CDN$85.00 but it doesnt have the cigarette lighter attachment. any ideas on where to pick one up where it may easily attach to the unit?

Golf Pigging
I just ordered the CTEK 3300 ($55 USD freee shipping) & the cig lighter attachment ($5 + $5 shipping) on amazon.com.

CTEK 56-263 Comfort Connect Cig Plug :
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Well with a constant 2amps at the end of 3 months storage you wil have probably boiled all the electrolyte away.

50 watts wouldn't even "boil" an equal volume of water...

A maintainer like the Ctek uses a more complicated circuit to back the current off to near zero when the battery reaches full charge.

Another problem with your circuit is that with out a step down isolation transformer you may electrocute yourself or worse.

Did you not read, or you read but did not comprehend my second paragraph..?

As an electrical engineer I have designed a number of chargers over the years but I just bought a Ctek because it does what I need it to and I have better things to do with my time.
My point was that it does not take a particularly bright electrical engineer to come up with an automotive battery "maintainer" that works.

If I had wanted to add the complexity of a transformer it would have been a simple 12 volt filament transformer. 18 Volts peak, only ~4 volts at low duty cycle (60 PPS) to "boil" the electrolyte if/when the battery is at full charge.

And finally: Not "dissing" Ctek compicated design by any means, just indicating that the <$10 one at Harbor Freight will work perfectly well, own 3.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two questions. Where are people putting the ground when attaching the ground? Second question is what does the cigarette lighter option replace? I'm guessing you this is so you don't have to plug it into an outlet?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Second question is what does the cigarette lighter option replace? I'm guessing you this is so you don't have to plug it into an outlet?
If you're suggesting to power the maintainer via the cig outlet, then there are a lot of replies that come to mind but you won't like them Connect the maintainer to the car via the battery terminals or the cig lighter. Some prefer the latter due to ease. dave
Old 01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just making sure you don't have to connect the leads to the battery if you're using the cigarette attachment. I guess I don't get how it charges the battery if you don't attach leads to the battery?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Cause the battery is connected to the cigarette lighter
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

I was just making sure you don't have to connect the leads to the battery if you're using the cigarette attachment. I guess I don't get how it charges the battery if you don't attach leads to the battery?
Our Porsches are a bit unusual in that the cigarette lighter and accessory connection in the passengers footwell are always "hot". So it makes it a simple matter of plugging in the cig adapter into the cig lighter connection.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

That's correct... you can just connect the maintainer to the cigarette lighter socket. Make sure to use the cigarette lighter and not the socket at the foot well. Optionally some of us have connected a line directly to the battery terminals... running the line up through the windshield wiper cover.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wwest
I don't want to make a big deal out of this but a continuos current of 2amps will not boil the electrolite away it will none the less turn it into H and O and it will be gone. This is why they designed maintainers instead of trickle chargers to cure this issue for long term storage.
I think if you are going to store your car for a long period it is just good practice to use a good maintainer. There are ones that are as little as $25 that will probably work fine.
However if I'm going to leave something plugged in my garage unattended for 3 months with a typically wet salty floor in the winter, I will opt for a well built unit.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 AM
wwest
Drifting

Two questions. Where are people putting the ground when attaching the ground? Second question is what does the cigarette lighter option replace? I'm guessing you this is so you don't have to plug it into an outlet?
Provided the cigarette lighter remains "powered" with the ignition key removed the battery maintainer can be connected to the battery via the lighter socket. no need to leave the front lid open.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by eflight
Cause the battery is connected to the cigarette lighter
Maybe..maybe NOT.

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainers