Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement Needed on my 997.2 with CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 PM
997GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
In order to CPO a car doesn't Porsche have to use a Porsche OEM battery. Even though Porsche doesn't make the Moll battery they do use them in all their 911's so I find it ludicrous that they are sending you to the manufacturer...if there is a problem with the calipers do they send you to Brembo?
It was a Porsche oem battery they went bad. It was ridiculous what she told me.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 PM
CrossThread
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car sat for periods without being driven and without a maintainer?
You jumped started the car and drove it 45 minutes and now the battery is dead the next time you try to start it? This should not be covered under a CPO or regular warranty.

I would not jump a dead battery and drive the car to charge it unless it was a stranded vehicle, this is not a recommended way to charge a dead battery and can cause excessive wear on the charging system (seen a shorted battery boil over and cause sever damage from acid also seen terminals melt at the alternator.)

The battery should have been charged at 10 amps overnight and then re-tested, a dead battery battery can take more than 10 hours to charge on a charger. At that time the battery can be tested and condemned. Example: Take a known good battery, drain down to stone cold dead and then put it on a 40 amp charger, it will only take a few amps until it starts warming up then the amperage will increase slowly up to 40 amps. A 45 minute drive just is not enough to be able to even come close to charging a battery.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:35 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

My dealer uses the Interstate battery replacement.......you can go OEM, but its pricey.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:48 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Batteries fall under the same situation as tires. Porsche warranties neither but you are covered by the OEM manufacturers.

It amazes me how many folks get wound around their own axle trying to get warranty coverage under questionable circumstances for minor items like a battery. If you live to a ripe old age you'll learn which battles are worth your energy to fight and which ones aren't.
I generally agree with this..

I had a very similar situation to the OP, the OEM Moll battery in my car was only 2 years old, and a few times failed to start on the 1st turn on a very hot day (never left me stranded, however)

Talked to dealer and got the same story, they said it needs to be driven at least 6K miles a year, and also since the battery was not "dead" yet, no dice.

I just ended up buying an Interstate that was a direct fit.. the dealer even sells the Interstates as the Moll's don't last.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement Needed on my 997.2 with CPO?