Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The TORTURE of picking the right car...HELP!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The TORTURE of picking the right car...HELP!

I've been patiently reading everything I can about p-cars trying to make the right decision and I keep going in circles. Basically I'm trying to decide between an '07 turbo and a '10 2S. They both look awesome, both are great cars, and I would likely be happy with either. So the big question is this...after owning your car for 6-12 months, what things would now affect your purchase decision that you didn't think about when you bought? I keep thinking if I buy the 2S, down the road I'm going to wish I had the power of the turbo. And if I buy the turbo, I'm going to wish I had the updated PDK, interior, electronics, etc. The decision is driving me mad.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW, when I visited the Porsche Corral at Petit LeMans this year, there were 100+ p-cars, but only 3 or 4 turbos. It got me thinking, is there something I'm completely missing about the turbos, or are they just under-represented because of the higher price? Is the turbo a less fun driving experience? I was really surprised by the lack of turbo models on display.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo vs 2S price difference is of course a factor. Plus, the reality of utilizing the capability of the turbo will be rare on a day-to-day basis. I'd say most people won't justify the cost of a turbo because they simply can go fast enough in an S model. The tradeoff is more power vs. upgraded electronics. Day-to-day, which are you really going to use more?
For me, it wasn't worth the higher price tag, and higher overall ownership costs (insurance, taxes, maintenance etc.) I didn't get into a postion where I could afford a Porsche by making decisions that didn't make sense to me. But, if money is no object, then of course it's all relative.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
I've been patiently reading everything I can about p-cars trying to make the right decision and I keep going in circles. Basically I'm trying to decide between an '07 turbo and a '10 2S. They both look awesome, both are great cars, and I would likely be happy with either. So the big question is this...after owning your car for 6-12 months, what things would now affect your purchase decision that you didn't think about when you bought? I keep thinking if I buy the 2S, down the road I'm going to wish I had the power of the turbo. And if I buy the turbo, I'm going to wish I had the updated PDK, interior, electronics, etc. The decision is driving me mad.
I'm a pcar newbie but here is my view. The 997 is plenty fast and the direct injection car (your example the 2010 c2s) is the best example of the nonGT/GTS na cars. But the huge advantage of the 10 over the turbo is the Pdk. To me, this makes the choice of the c2s easy, prices being somewhat equivalent.

While the turbo is quicker, c2s also gives you better PCM, the na exhaust note, arguably more engaging driving feel, incremental 3 model year updates, and the nice .2 exterior updates. The turbo is a head turner but to me looks a tad over done.

Again, if your not dead set on a manual, the Pdk car is my pick hands down.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Trust me on this one....you can and will use the huge torque the Turbo produces everyday. You might not ever use full power, but that crack, er torque pipe is very addictive. It's like driving an old school big block Hemi. It will push you back in the seat where as the 2S gives you a little nudge. Most folks who advise that the driving experience with the 2S is better have never driven a Turbo for any length of time. To get over my Turbo addiction, I had to seek help from the Ferrari clinic.

Last edited by Fred R. C4S; 12-27-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Basically I'm trying to decide between an '07 turbo and a '10 2S. ... So the big question is this...after owning your car for 6-12 months, what things would now affect your purchase decision that you didn't think about when you bought?
I focused on 09 and later as I wanted the PDK and no way I was going to buy a 911 with a tip. However, after test driving a 6 sp, I was smitten. I am so glad I didn't get the PDK that words can't describe. Do yourself a favor and drive a manual. You can thank me later, Dave
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

B careful of those offering opinions rather than pure data points....
Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
B careful of those offering opinions rather than pure data points....
why, the whole thing is opinion and preference. If you go by pure figures, the turbo wins pretty much all the way around.

Its simple. Drive both, see which you prefer. To me, the people who say they won't use the turbo's power are a bit nutty. I roll into my 993tt (granted, only 430bhp) all the time. No, I hardly ever go WOT in 3 full gears, but all you need is a throttle nudge to spool those puppies.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

if you drive both, you will end up with a turbo...
Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

If I had the money for a 2010 C2S I might consider a little older 997 GTS or even a GT3. These cars would also give you the added power and performance you might be looking for. The turbo is cool but I like the smooth delivery of power in a normally aspirated engine.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

If you're getting a non-manual transmission, get the pdk!

Also, after owning mine just over a year, I'm very happy with my car. I'd like a full leather dash, but otherwise...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are approaching this as if you can never get another Porsche not much anyone here can do to help. However, if you approach it with the idea that you can always sell/trade the car you bought and get the car you didn't buy, problem solved. Frankly, I don't think you'll be disappointed regardless of the car you pick.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Stealthawd
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dadio
If you are approaching this as if you can never get another Porsche not much anyone here can do to help. However, if you approach it with the idea that you can always sell/trade the car you bought and get the car you didn't buy, problem solved. Frankly, I don't think you'll be disappointed regardless of the car you pick.
Great advice!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

You should PM Zeus993 He had a C2S and now has a 2008 997.1TT. He can give you all of the pro's and cons' of both vehicles
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

Originally Posted by Renzsport
If you're getting a non-manual transmission, get the pdk!

Also, after owning mine just over a year, I'm very happy with my car. I'd like a full leather dash, but otherwise...
I would second that...the only thing I wish I had held out for is the full leather interior. The non leather dash is kind of cheap. Still...doesn't really matter when you put the hammer down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The TORTURE of picking the right car...HELP!