Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:54 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Automatic will likely offset the newer engine IMHO. Less buyers and less enthusiasts within this population.

That said, I'd price it at or near the low mile 05s and see what happens. Could be that one buyer out there.

Looking back to my search a few months ago, I'd be interested an a 05 S with a new and revised IMS engine. If it were a manual, I'd be comparing it to a low mile 06 base with decent options, pasm, nav, sport seat, etc.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Premium? If I were buying, I'd want a discount dave
You'd want a discount on a car that's got no miles on the motor and warranty (porsche installed) versus the same car with 30K on the motor? That's simply not the case.

You can check if the engine has been overwound with durametric, other than that I would think like $5K extra. The warranty part of it alone is probably worth $2K if you'd price out drivetrain-only aftermarket options.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank all who have posted. I appreciate the varied perspectives. I understand that - to some - the seller of a car is naturally suspect in similar fashion to a "car salesman". Suspicion aside, my car simply suffered the misfortune to receive the rare bad engine. It broke, and upon substantial review, Porsche saw fit to replace it (way out of warranty, by the way).

Porsche deserves major credit for standing behind their product.

Here's a teaser question: Would any of us not appreciate a new engine in their car?

Imagine your beautiful 997 as it is. You have the opportunity to exchange your engine for a fresh one with all service issues known to arise over the past x years (in my case 7) resolved by the factory during the rebuild. Nothing broke, you just won a new engine. I think most would say, "Thank you very much, I'll take it." Your car now has xx,xxx miles on it, but the engine is better than originally installed & factory fresh. Just seems like the fresh engine incrementally adds to the value of the car.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

Last edited by Ron Adair; 12-25-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
You'd want a discount on a car that's got no miles on the motor and warranty (porsche installed) versus the same car with 30K on the motor? That's simply not the case.
The engine replacement raises too many questions and I'd rather have an all original, well maintained 30k car. That's just my opinion and others have a different view. Dave.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Gruson
Instructor

New engine will not be positive or negative. Expect to get around the same price as any other one. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I think it depends on the buyer. My Boxster S had an IMS failure and had the engine replaced by Porsche goodwill similar to yours (I just paid labor). The gentlemen I sold it to really valued the new engine (and 2 year warranty) and basically paid me asking price in part because of it. However, another potential buyer didn't like the fact that it had a new motor with the non-serviceable IMS as they were looking for a car where they could address the issue with the aftermarket LN solution. They had no interest in the car once they learned of the new motor.

In my case it was seen as both a positive and a negative by two different buyers.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Default New motor in this puppy...

Thought it might be worthwhile to include a pic of the car...
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

On the "+" column I would hi-lite the PCCB's, HRE's, full leather, and 2 yrs of warranty on the engine with redesigned larger row IMS. Tiptronic can be a positive for the right driver especially in LA's stop-n-go prone traffic. Of course, PDK is much better than Tip so I would not get too aggressive and price it anywhere near what an '09 C2 w/ PDK would sell for. GL.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

is this a launch edition?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Ron Adair
Racer

Originally Posted by Tarek307
is this a launch edition?
Yes. I researched the remanufactured motor & it came from a very late 2006 build. M97/01AT68666694. The "AT" is the German abbreviation for "exchange".
Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

I'd view it as a plus, especially for a 2005. The new engine and upgraded IMS is good. I think you have a great looking car and it will sell fairly easily. Only downside is Tip for me. But there's a market for them and you have great wheels and PCCBs too - right. I'd say a small premium over a standard one.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow. PCCBs too. Nice.

And HREs.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I have to agree with most posts here. The car looks great with the HRE wheels and lowered. However, it does not add value but rather oppposite. The PCCB is not a desired Option either due to the high cost of replacement disks and pads. Most GT3 owners who has them, convert them to steel - see GT3 forum. I bought both my 4S convertibles two and 3 years ago, the 06 with; PASM, Sport Chrono, manual, 14 way powered seats, full leather etc for 57k and 63k. The 07 had 22k miles one it when I bought it, now it has 30k. 40-43k would be a likely price range.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Default Dissing PCCBs - Ouch!

Originally Posted by tgavem
I have to agree with most posts here. The car looks great with the HRE wheels and lowered. However, it does not add value but rather oppposite. The PCCB is not a desired Option either due to the high cost of replacement disks and pads. Most GT3 owners who has them, convert them to steel - see GT3 forum. I bought both my 4S convertibles two and 3 years ago, the 06 with; PASM, Sport Chrono, manual, 14 way powered seats, full leather etc for 57k and 63k. The 07 had 22k miles one it when I bought it, now it has 30k. 40-43k would be a likely price range.
Disrespecting PCCBs? I need to defend them.

No brake dust (I mean zero). 40 lbs less unsprung weight. Low maintenance (I'll get to that & the GT3 guys.) Most of all, especially for a black car... Cool as all-get-out looks.

Yes, they are expensive. But for those of us who never track their Porsches - and especially for those of us who put mostly freeway miles on their Porsches - these things last forever. The GT3 crowd burn thru brakes & PCCBs probably only add value for the expert drivers among them that have deep pockets to replace them with like kind.

They come stock on the Turbos & those guys need to stop quickly, which those beautiful oversized calipers willingly oblige. But for my Tiptronic I like them for easy maintenance, long wear & great looks.

(Plus, if ever they wear out, just put steel rotors on if the cost hasn't come down sufficiently.)
Attached Images   
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default The Proposal

Let me try to help... I'll donate my red S brakes for your yellow PCCB's. It's the least I could do for a fellow RL member. I'll even fly out to LA and do all the mech work. JK of course. Those PCCBs will be of value to the right buyer... some will naturally steer away due to the potential of higher maintenance but that comes with the territory. Others will fly to it like a moth to flame. Kidding aside... if you find it an issue to move the car with PCCB's the offer stands plus I'll throw some $$$ at it to sweeten the pot. For whatever reason yellow brakes happens to be something my wife is fond of... and she doesn't like yellow. Go figure. GLWS

Quick Reply: 997 Pricing...