Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove a 2010 C2S, 2013 Boxster, and a 2013 S5 Cabrio back to back today.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Great comparison, thanks!
I must say I agree on all the points. Just before I purchased my 997.1 carrera s I found almost brand new Cayman S (1 y.o. <8K miles) with all the sport features on it in the color I love and I went to test drive it being very certain I'd put a deposit on it right away. As great as this cayman was I felt big differences in the way it drives, accelerates and holds the road vs 911. Many say caymans indeed drive better thsan 911s due to more balanced weight distribution, but it did not push my buttons The seller was very accommodating, he allowed me to drive this cayman on all kind of roads the way I like, and yet I could not fall in love with it. So I pass on it. Maybe upcoming new cayman S would be a better car for me. One day I will give it a try. For now 911 is it.
+1
Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
Interesting you mentioned the visibility out of 911 twice. That's also one of the things that really liked about my 997 test drives compared to other cars.
I'm with you guys. My 993 is pretty good but the 997 is amazing. When I drive one of our other (non porsche) cars I never can get the mirrors set right or quit looking over my shoulder.

I am at home in the 997. Zero blind spots and total control of the road in front and behind me.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Looking for the right car can be tedious..but it sure is fun
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Getting a 997.2 4s is one of the best all round sports cars in the world, jus pick a good un
Love the C4S!!

Tom
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

The extra stability gives it true all weather capability. My '09 C4S is a year round driving companion. What a peach these cars are. True driving delight.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Love the C4S!!

Tom
And she's a real beaut Tom, Seasons greetings !
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look...I've said this before. The 911 is synonymous with Porsche and all the other production cars in the line-up were added to help the Porsche Company (911) survive. The production cars like Panamera, Cayenne, Cayman and Boxster are fantastic vehicles if you compare them to their competition. However, nothing compares to the 911 in my opinion.

There are only a few cars that people dream about owning from childhood and it is the 911. Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would buy a Boxster. I wouldn't even test drive the car.

Owning a Boxster is like drinking Low Fat Milk, buying the new Journey album (w/ the Asian Front Man), using Splenda, replacing your girlfriend or wife with a Blow-Up Doll or becoming part of the Matrix.

Interesting you mentioned the visibility out of 911 twice. That's also one of the things that really liked about my 997 test drives compared to other cars.

I'm sure the Boxster and Cayman are great cars. Call it shallow, call it uninformed, but neither are 911's...period. Nobody DREAMS of owning a Boxster.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
The extra stability gives it true all weather capability. My '09 C4S is a year round driving companion. What a peach these cars are. True driving delight.
Just another observation having spent a lot of time over at Corvetteforum...so refreshing to see guys actually DRIVE their cars! I mean they would kill you over for even suggesting you drove your car in the rain, let alone snow! And they would have you convinced your resale was just cut in half. I mean EVERY car for sale was "never seen the rain". Here guys actually post pictures and video driving in the rain! And I don't think I've see an ad for a P car yet that says "NEVER seen the rain". I mean, sure there are some, probably myself, that won't daily drive it but come on!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Just another observation having spent a lot of time over at Corvetteforum...so refreshing to see guys actually DRIVE their cars! I mean they would kill you over for even suggesting you drove your car in the rain, let alone snow! And they would have you convinced your resale was just cut in half. I mean EVERY car for sale was "never seen the rain". Here guys actually post pictures and video driving in the rain! And I don't think I've see an ad for a P car yet that says "NEVER seen the rain". I mean, sure there are some, probably myself, that won't daily drive it but come on!
I have been active in the Corvetteforum as well, I was thinking of the 427, it is a tremendous car. I do not like the LS7 issues going on and it just is not the Daily Driver that the 997 is. I do not think there is a car out there equal to the 997 from a Sports Car/Daily Driver stand-point.

Last edited by MessyMarvin; 12-21-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really, really want to like the Boxster & Cayman but as long as they deliberately underpower it I'll never buy one. It's just sad that a car that can corner and brake so well has to be nerfed like this in the straight line department.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you fit the Corvette demographic of 55-65 years old then that car may be for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't get under powering comments about the Cayman. It is really not about power! Recently I have been test driving since my 997s has 82k miles on it. I have tested the CTS-V, the M3, and the C63AMG. All three of those cars have serious torque. But with every case, I was left completely bored and uninspired. If I switched to one of those, it would be a step down in terms of driving involvement. Driving involvement on the Cayman is pretty damned good...

-T
Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
I don't get under powering comments about the Cayman. It is really not about power! Recently I have been test driving since my 997s has 82k miles on it. I have tested the CTS-V, the M3, and the C63AMG. All three of those cars have serious torque. But with every case, I was left completely bored and uninspired. If I switched to one of those, it would be a step down in terms of driving involvement. Driving involvement on the Cayman is pretty damned good...

-T
And sorry but I don't get the inability to understand why underpowered matters.

When you go hard on the throttle, so little happens. It's just not fun. There's no rush of acceleration. Given that these are sports cars, and normally sports cars will be fun in the straight line in addition to other handling characteristics, the car is simply a big letdown in this area.

You can't take the car to its limits around corners very safely on public roads. You can go wide open throttle when entering a highway, especially when no other cars are around. It's one of the aspects of a car that can be enjoyed to the limits of the car's ability.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:02 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

So I take it the corvette guys would cringe when they see these pics
Its too good a car not to drive it all 4 seasons.
Attached Images     
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Love the C4S!!

Tom
Ditto!

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 2010 C2S, 2013 Boxster, and a 2013 S5 Cabrio back to back today.........