Sponsored by:

New center console

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts
Default New center console

I just finished this mod yesterday, was pretty easy. I did the same thing on my old Cayman, so I was familiar with the process. (I used the DIY from planet-9 as the process is the same..)

I got the console, backseat coin tray, and the trim under the shifter all done in Arctic Silver (from Bumperplugs) to match the exterior. I'm contemplating doing the door finishers as well.

Before:

After:

Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Hard Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the contrast
Old 12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Very Nice. What is the console made of? Metal?

IMHO, the stock plastic console is disappointingly cheap.

Btw. I've always liked sea blue in the 997, particularly when paired with carbon fibre trim.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Looks great! i'm thinking about doing silver console to my Black car- just not sure if it will clash with the graphite grey around the PCM
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great look. I have swapped mine with a contrasting color factory original I picked up on the cheap but ultimately will have Eric @ BP paint it. Excellent mod and easy DIY as I followed the online instructions also.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The silver came out nice. The stock plastic is just cheap--I went with leather.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks good. We love to see the images installed - as we see the final product when completed, and it's stunning, but still looks better once in the car.

The material is coated plastic, and it's a monster to work with. Takes us an average of 11 working days to complete. 19 stages of finish, lots of down time in between (each phase cures differently, requires different levels of handwork or babysitting). But the end results are stunning.

Yeah, leather is damn nice, and I have it in my '09. For those without, this is a nice touch though.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Looks great. My Arctic Silver over Sea Blue C2S had this exact option and it looked great. It also had a nice silver piece that surrounded the instrument cluster, also a nice mod for you to do. It added a subtle touch of silver to the look.

Check it out: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...y_Code=997silv
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The silver came out nice. The stock plastic is just cheap--I went with leather.
Does anyone have a pic of it in leather? I dont think think I have ever seen it done in leather yet.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's a quick shot of mine - bad lighting. Leather everywhere. This is Dark Grey Natural Leather.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Here's a quick shot of mine - bad lighting. Leather everywhere. This is Dark Grey Natural Leather.

Wow that looks great! That should have come with the full leather package.

Thanks for posting the pic Eric ! Nice looking TT you have there. Love the extra thick steering wheel
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I would love to see the German definition of "full". Apparently for Porsche marketing "full leather" = you need to purchase "more leather"... perhaps there's a secret factory option for "complete leather".

On a more serious note... could someone comment on how well their painted center console and/or seat backs are holding up over time. I'm very temped to do this type of mod for my interior with deviated red belts to match my guards red car. TIA.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Thanks all for the comments..

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
On a more serious note... could someone comment on how well their painted center console and/or seat backs are holding up over time. I'm very temped to do this type of mod for my interior with deviated red belts to match my guards red car. TIA.
I had the painted center console on my old (traded) Cayman for over 2 years, and in my experience it held up very well - it looked the same the day I sold the car as the day I installed it. Better than the factory plastic ones..
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have some painted consoles we did as far back as 11 years, and they are still fine from the reports we get.

Obviously, like any painted finish, if you drop things that can mar the finish, well, they might just mar the finish. But otherwise, they hold up very well, even in hot/cold extreme climates (we have some in AZ, some AK, and most other areas).
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I would love to see the German definition of "full". Apparently for Porsche marketing "full leather" = you need to purchase "more leather"... perhaps there's a secret factory option for "complete leather".

Semper - go for it. It will look stunning. I had no problems for four years with scratching the center consul etc... You have to watch it and not throw your keys etc... In red, I would do the center rear consol and the instrument surround. I personally find the painted backs in red too much RED, almost too loud. But each to their own, right?

My TT has the painted seat backs in Arctic Silver and being a cab with the top down they will scratch IF you use the wind deflector and have the seats back so far that the two surfaces rub.. The oringal owner had done this so I had then repainted and they look great. I just make sure that anyone who rides in my car doesn't put their seat back too far. Also kids in the back seats putting their shoes up will do it as well.

I also have silver seat belts that do get dirty. You'll find that with red ones as well. Just don't eat cheese burgers in your car. I have a water only, no food rule and so far they've stay clean. That being said, they will probably need to be replaced at some point in time.

But these tastefully done interior accoutrements I believe are what make these cars so unique. There are very few manufactures left that allow this kind of personalization. Just don't over do it, right?

I have one other piece, the PCM face to get painted that I'll eventually have Eric at Bumper Plugs do in the spring. For some reason the original owner missed this on the build. And I'll do the instrument surround piece as well to really pop the interior.

What great toys we have...

Joel

Quick Reply: New center console