Sponsored by:

Audio input in 997.1 PCM with changer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
steel968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio input in 997.1 PCM with changer

Ok folks, i have read a number of threads and keep coming to the same conclusion, but still haven't found the answer that i am looking for.

I have PCM 1 with CD changer, and i want to add an auxilliary input to plu my phone in to the car audio system. I bought a FM transmitter/modulator that works for now, but the sound isn't as good as i would like it to be.

Whatoptions do i have. I head Dension over and over, but it's expensive and seems to me like it means it doesn't solve for hooking up the phone in the cabin of the car, since it installs in the trunk. It seems to me like there has to be a better way, i don't care about controlling the phone through the stereo controls, i dont have/nor want an iphone so the dension unit is more functionality than i would use anyway. Am i missing a really simple solution, or do i just bite the bullet.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steel968
Ok folks, i have read a number of threads and keep coming to the same conclusion, but still haven't found the answer that i am looking for.

I have PCM 1 with CD changer, and i want to add an auxilliary input to plu my phone in to the car audio system. I bought a FM transmitter/modulator that works for now, but the sound isn't as good as i would like it to be.

Whatoptions do i have. I head Dension over and over, but it's expensive and seems to me like it means it doesn't solve for hooking up the phone in the cabin of the car, since it installs in the trunk. It seems to me like there has to be a better way, i don't care about controlling the phone through the stereo controls, i dont have/nor want an iphone so the dension unit is more functionality than i would use anyway. Am i missing a really simple solution, or do i just bite the bullet.
When you say "plu", do you mean "plug"? The Dension unit is bluetooth, so there is no "plugging" involved. I went through a good deal of research too, before deciding on the Dension unit. It does afford plug and play through the car's fiber system, and I needed a solution for phone, sat radio, and iPod. I have to say though, that I wish I had bit the bullet and paid the money for a completely new head unit that would have given me phone, sat radio connection, bluetooth and iPod functions. The Dension controls, while accessed through your stock PCM, are clunky, and I am still having troubles that Eric at BumperPlugs has not been able to resolve still... although he has been very diligent about working with me and the Dension people, up until recently anyway.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM
steel968
Advanced

Ahhh, i didn't realize it connected over bluetooth. i am not even sure my phone will do audio over bluetooth, so this may not work. I'll have to find out. I thought about replacing thestereo, but i like how integrated it is into the car and not sure i want to go without that.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Ahhh, i didn't realize it connected over bluetooth. i am not even sure my phone will do audio over bluetooth, so this may not work. I'll have to find out. I thought about replacing thestereo, but i like how integrated it is into the car and not sure i want to go without that.
How old is your phone?? EVERY phone in the last ten years has had bluetooth connectivity as far as I can recall... unless you are talking about streaming music from your phone. I assumed you were talking about actual phone call usage.

My first inclination was to keep the stereo as stock as possible for resale, but I didn't want to pay Porsche prices for the phone and Sat radio upgrades. Honestly, everything works fine now with my Dension, with the exception of an error screen that pops up each time I fire up the system. It goes away with one push of a button, but it is irritating.

Oh, and the Dension does not install in the frunk. Mine is installed right behind the stock PCM. It is a fairly small unit.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM
steel968
Advanced

Ya, i was referring to connecting the phone to the stereo for streaming music, this is my main goal. So you stream music to the stereo over bluetooth to the Dension, correct? You don't have to physically plug the phone into an aux cable? How is the sound quality. I did find out that my phone has bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP that allows stereo over bluetooth, so this may work better than i originally thought.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Ya, i was referring to connecting the phone to the stereo for streaming music, this is my main goal. So you stream music to the stereo over bluetooth to the Dension, correct? You don't have to physically plug the phone into an aux cable? How is the sound quality. I did find out that my phone has bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP that allows stereo over bluetooth, so this may work better than i originally thought.
Actually, with iPod, Sat radio and standard radio, I have yet to test the bluetooth streaming. I'll stream some Pandora on my way to work tonight. I'll let you know how it sounds.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
steel968
Advanced

But your ipod connects over bluetooth, correct?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

But your ipod connects over bluetooth, correct?
No... I have the 160gb classic, (no bluetooth on the unit), which lives in my glove box and connects directly to the Dension, and utilizes the stock PCM controls.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM
steel968
Advanced

ahhh, gotcha. Cool, looking forward to your review of audio over bluetooth. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Dension 500S unit installed behind the PCM and an iphone 4s and the bluetooth audio works great. I'm still having issues with phone calls over bluetooth, as i just posted that on another thread, but i'm hoping to get that tuned in. For my iphone playlists... i just keep my phone in my pocket, or bag, or wherever, and when i get in the car it basically automatically plays the playlist where it left off, and when i get out of the car the phone stops streaming it. It's super convenient for audio. I also have an old ipod in the glovebox connected to the Dension unit, but i usually just use the playlists on my phone. I bought mine from Eric and Bumper Plugs, and Eric was super helpful.

Quick Reply: Audio input in 997.1 PCM with changer