Sponsored by:

California Driving With No Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Driving With No Front License Plate

Hey to the guys from California what are your experiences with driving your beloved Porsche without the front license plates? Are the local law enforcement pretty hot on tickets for that sort of thing? I am dying to take off my hideous front plate and putting some bumper plugs instead!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't had any trouble from LEO about the front plate being missing. I keep it in the frunk with my default fib ready to go: "I had to order the bracket from a dealer, should be here anytime now."

I have seen a meter maid try to bust me. I was eating at an outdoor cafe and I saw one drive by my car slowly, notice the missing plate and back up to give me a ticket. I nonchalantly hopped in and drove around the block before they could get the ticket book out.

For the most part I feel it's worth the risk. If I get nailed I'll probably get a tow hook mount and get the fix it ticket taken care of then pull it off.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I wasn't hassled while driving but got a ticket while parked in the city. I bought the JCS Towhook mount and then got it signed off. The cop that signed off on it seemed bummed that things had come to that point to raise money. I ended up leaving it on because I just don't need one more reason to be pulled over. I already have tinted window on the front sides.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've lived here almost 6 years driving P-cars with no problems...no stops due to absence of tag. Lewis
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattyf
I haven't had any trouble from LEO about the front plate being missing. I keep it in the frunk with my default fib ready to go: "I had to order the bracket from a dealer, should be here anytime now."

I have seen a meter maid try to bust me. I was eating at an outdoor cafe and I saw one drive by my car slowly, notice the missing plate and back up to give me a ticket. I nonchalantly hopped in and drove around the block before they could get the ticket book out.

For the most part I feel it's worth the risk. If I get nailed I'll probably get a tow hook mount and get the fix it ticket taken care of then pull it off.
Haha nice save. So from it sounds like most of the hassle comes when you're parked instead of on the road and driving. So I'll have to park front in or if I parallel park have some 3m double sided to put it on real quick! Love the bracket excuse too!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Lurgee
Intermediate

Like mattyf, no problems here in Pasadena. However, I used to live near Santa Monica for many years and they're like hawks with front plate tickets in the area. I've been cited by a meter maid AND had two fix it tickets on the Westside over the years.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
Haha nice save. So from it sounds like most of the hassle comes when you're parked instead of on the road and driving. So I'll have to park front in or if I parallel park have some 3m double sided to put it on real quick! Love the bracket excuse too!
While I've driven for years in CA and have even been pulled over for speeding a couple of times I've never been given any grief about the lack of a front plate on either of my Porsches (or my other cars which also never had front plates).

However, I never park in a place that is patrolled by parking meter enforcement officers.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lurgee
Like mattyf, no problems here in Pasadena. However, I used to live near Santa Monica for many years and they're like hawks with front plate tickets in the area. I've been cited by a meter maid AND had two fix it tickets on the Westside over the years.
I actually didn't know that meter maids are able to do that. I thought all they care about is if you paid to park.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

In 45 years I've been cited twice for no front plate and none of my cars have had them. The most recent was in my 996 about 10 years ago when the CHP picked me out of a line of cars as I passed by him on a rural road just to give me the plate citation. He must have been having a bad day or he hated Porsche drivers. It's not a high risk exercise, in my experience. (knock on wood). Some municipalities, like San Francisco, will supposedly ticket you even when parked which is why some folks are mentioning meter maids.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
In 45 years I've been cited twice for no front plate and none of my cars have had them. The most recent was in my 996 about 10 years ago when the CHP picked me out of a line of cars as I passed by him on a rural road just to give me the plate citation. He must have been having a bad day or he hated Porsche drivers. It's not a high risk exercise, in my experience. (knock on wood). Some municipalities, like San Francisco, will supposedly ticket you even when parked which is why some folks are mentioning meter maids.
Hmm that sucks that he picked you for the ticket. Do you have an idea of what the penalty for the actual ticket is? I guess you can get it written off and fix it. :/
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

So far, one year in the 818 and no problems. The only thing I've been warned about is Friday and Saturday nights leaving restaurants and clubs in BH. Having no front plate is a good enough excuse for a cop to pull you over and then do a field sobriety test to see if you've been drinking and might be over .08. Though this hasn't been enough of a reason to put the front plate on my car, it has curtailed my drinking when I do go out at night with it!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Just get the ticket signed off and pay the processing fee and remove the plate again, porsches don't look right with the front plate on.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

On my old Cayman I went over a year without a front plate and street parked regularly 2-3 days per week in parts of San Francisco highly patrolled by meter maids. One day there was a ticket while parked for not having a front license plate. Paid a fee, installed plates and went to dmv. 997 has front plates but my G500 does not and have been lucky so far since June this year.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got a ticket at SFO once, $40. Spread that over 7 years ...
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I've always seen it as an excuse to pull you over for a ticket. I just don't get the obsession with front plates. Most of the WORLD requires a front plate. It's life. (God--I wish sometimes that was ALL I had to worry about!).

Just deal with it.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: California Driving With No Front License Plate