Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Leak

I’m looking for some help on a small leak that appears to be from my manual transmission. On the diagram the oil is collecting at the mounting point at the rear of the transmission (opposite end than the engine). I’ve had the panels off several times and initially thought the plug or cap I where I have does not appear to be the leak was the source. But I’ve cleaned that end of the transmission and cannot find where oil is leaking from that cap/plug or where it is running down the transmission from that cap/plug. Oil only leaks when I run the car and it looks like it is coming from the passenger side of the mounting bushing.

I’ve had it to the dealer and my indy and neither could find it. They just want me to bring it back without a game plan of what they are going to do differently from the first visit – frustrating.

I had my clutch done in June but didn’t see this leak until September. I would think that if it was a main seal leak the oil should be coming out of the other end next to the engine. I saw the leak just after the dealer put dye in my a/c refrigerant to determine if that system is leaking and they did a fuel system cleaning service, sparks and oil. I normally would do sparks & oil myself but I give them some gravy at times because they are pretty good to me.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Scanned at 12-2-2012 17-42 PM.pdf (232.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
douvillier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few ways to find the source of the leak . Dye introduced into the trans, drive it around a week and put it up on a lift with it running and look for the leak. Heat up the trans and apply smoke into the trans and look for a leak. Apply baby powder in the area and look for the source. I would suspect any seal/plug in the area as a source, oil takes a curious path when leaking. Another possibility is a defective trans casing where the oil leeches thru the metal. Of course you didn't have a leak until the clutch was done, makes one go hmmmm.

Last edited by douvillier; 12-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Leak