Sponsored by:

DIY Stone Guards - failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default DIY Stone Guards - failure

Tried replacing stone guards today. Complete butcher job.

Tiny specks of trapped dirt caused me to reposition and peel off the film repeatably. Now the driver side film has a cloudy appearance as the glue went bad. Yikes. The other bozo move was using a foam window cleaner, which leaves traces of micro foam that I couldn't squeegee out. The passenger side isn't as bad as I got the hang of it on the second install.

I'll reorder the film and try again. Next using lightly soapy water. Tomorrow I'll eyeball the passenger side and see if its passable, if there is enough daylight. Might have give this up to a pro.

To add insult to injury, I went to Westmont porsche and they charge a whopping $163 for one stone guard. These are $40 each on Suncoast. I couldn't be persuaded and said good day to the parts guy.

BTW. Saw the new Boxster and it looked great. Really look forward to seeing the new Cayman in the person.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear the install went bad, I just ordered a set from suncoast and was going to DIY but now I'm having second thoughts.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 362 Posts

The body shop guy did mine when I picked up my painted aero spoiler that I had refinshed. He did it for free and took him about 20 min. (most of that was heating up the panel with a heat gun to peel the old one off as it was only 40F outside that day..
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep the job clean. Polish off the body and make sure its free of any haze and marks. Squirt on the liquid, like alchol and water, or light soap and water. Peel off the guard and dont let anything touch it. Squirt the sticky side of the guard with liquid and lay it on the car. Manuver it in place and start squeeging it from the middle to the outsides.
I dont use a squeege, I use a damp cloth that I can ball up and press and slide against the clear.

Quick Reply: DIY Stone Guards - failure