It All Started With This Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Great read Tommy, all the best pal !
You too my friend!! Great....Great....great thread. Brought back so many memories...heartbreaks and heartaches. I have the feeling we're both lucky "son of a guns" Don't you?

Tom
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
You too my friend!! Great....Great....great thread. Brought back so many memories...heartbreaks and heartaches. I have the feeling we're both lucky "son of a guns" Don't you?

Tom
You betcha Tommy !

Neil
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! My first "sport" car was a 1999 VW VR6, then 2002 VR6 and then the greatest disappointment ever was my 2004 RX8. Finally my 2006 911 purchased in 2010. The 911 is the greatest car I've owned and will be until I trade-up but not soon...
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

1984 Black Pontiac Fiero Baby! i think it was 1994 that i got it, first car when i turned 16
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

It wasn't even a car that I owned. The time was the summer of 1971. The car was a brand new brown 911 coupe purchased by the young, newly-minted pharmacist from the store where I was clerking the summer before college. He was dating on of my friends and tended to hang with my crowd. The moment of desire came I was driving my well-used red 1965 Plymouth Fury III over to a party at a friends house after work. The pharmacist was following me at a distance as we sped towards the party. At one point there was an abrupt 90 degree turn. I slowed down just enogh to make the turn on almost two wheels at the edge of control for the Fury, then looked in my rear view mirror. The pharmacist's brown 911 went from far back to right on my bumper going around the corner, apparently without even slowing down and without any body roll. I was hooked.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Bonginator
5th Gear

I agree. Had a lot of fun reading this thread and it made me smile.

Here are some notables in my car progression (those for which I had a particular fondness)

1970 BMW 2002 - not my car but a friend of ours. i got to drive it and fell in love with the feel and driving.
1973 MGB - red with black interior. Had those govt mandated black bumpers but it was a blast to drive. Had this car during high school. Talked/badgered my father into buying it for himself and eventually he relented and let me drive it during my junior and senior year since I was working.
1970 Toyota GT - silver with black interior. Drove this baby throughout college. Good thing cars can't talk! It was a total beater but I still loved driving it and bombing around campus.
1981 Mazda 626 - blue with gray interior. Stick. My first car bought with proceeds from my first job. Decked out with requisite hot stereo, equalizer, PA system.
1982 Jaguar XJ12 vanden plas - metallic beige and tan. In the shop quite frequently with all sorts of exotic issues. Very lux ride but got so tired of taking it to the shop.
1989 MBZ 560SL - metallic beige and tan interior. Wish I never sold this car.
1997 BMW 540i
2005 Audi TT 3.2 DSG roadster - Moro blue and tan interior. Great fun to drive but got me started on desiring more power.
2009 Porsche cabriolet 4S - ruby red and tan interior

So that is my progression - I think the two main culprits for getting me started were the BMW 2002 and the MGB.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Great list Bong, For me my MG truly the kick start of my sports car world ( for what I could afford )
At 19 I wanted an MG so I placed add in the local Evening Post paper in Swansea. Pretty exclusive dealings with owners who would like to sell for the right price.

Found a real beauty, stripped the car down, removed all undercoating with a screwdriver, full bodywork colour change, new soft top, and even cleaned each spoke of the wire wheels. It was the only one in town.

Looking back, working on the car made me appreciate it so much more.......
Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Great list Bong, For me my MG truly the kick start of my sports car world ( for what I could afford )
At 19 I wanted an MG so I placed add in the local Evening Post paper in Swansea. Pretty exclusive dealings with owners who would like to sell for the right price.

Found a real beauty, stripped the car down, removed all undercoating with a screwdriver, full bodywork colour change, new soft top, and even cleaned each spoke of the wire wheels. It was the only one in town.

Neil.......I sometimes think that it would be soooo cool to have all of the girls I ever went out with at like a cocktail party so I could see them and talk to them because collectively they contributed to the guy I am today; relationship wise anyway.

This thread made me think of the cars....wouldn't it be cool to walk into a big garage with all of them there. I'm not sure if they should be like they are today or like they were back then.....I think like they are today would be best. I'd need all day to reminisce!

God that would be a fun day.......better than the girls (because half of them probably wouldn't talk to me!

Tom
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

^^^^ I wouldn't worry too much about them not talking to me. I would worry about them talking to each other.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Bonginator
5th Gear

Yes - they are such fun cars and I bet working on it was a great learning experience. I had friends who had TR6s and I have to admit that I coveted those cars as well...

Quick Reply: It All Started With This Car