Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealers defrauding new car customers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This seems to be a situation that will land in court.
If I buy and pay for a 'new car' at 'new car pricing', I am right to expect the full length of the 'new car warranty' from the day that I purchase it. If that doesn't happen, its court time.

If the dealer has been running the warranty period for days or months, then what I'm buying is a USED car, and the appropriate depreciation should be accounted for in the price.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

In order to activate the warranty the car woud have to have been registered. If registered the car cannot be sold as new. It might have 0 miles, but you would be the second owner......wouldn't you ?

Good chance for a deal if you ask me. If the dealer would give you the extra 2 yr warranty extension ?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
In order to activate the warranty the car woud have to have been registered. If registered the car cannot be sold as new. It might have 0 miles, but you would be the second owner......wouldn't you ?

Good chance for a deal if you ask me. If the dealer would give you the extra 2 yr warranty extension ?
Interesting point. I have looked at some carfax reports that indicated two owners but I could only see one. Now I know the answer: the first owner was some dealer.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Possible launch or demo cars would'nt ya think ? registered by Dealer for demo, then sold to customer.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Punching a car to meet allocation targets is standard practice for all brands and dealers. Honest ones will disclose it and provide a discount or some form of compensation up to an extended warranty.
Yes sir, Porsche did it to me in 2009 and Mini in 2010 when I was buying previous model year vehicles. All sales paperwork showed the cars as new and the in service date as the date of my purchase. Mileage was 17 on the Porsche and 76 on the Mini. Sure enough, the first service invoices on both cars showed much earlier in-service dates. Both dealers basically said "too bad, at that price you stole the car". Contacting PCNA and Mini USA was no help because the "dealer sold you the car not us". I filed mediation requests with the dealers association, and threatened to sue with no results. I traded both cars away and got significantly less because of the shorter warranties, 14 months in the case of the MINI and eight for the Porsche.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mumbles
In order to activate the warranty the car woud have to have been registered.

Not true, the factory has no idea when the car is registered and relies on the dealer to put the proper in service date into the system.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by simsgw
Annoying if you never heard about all this, but not fraud.
I disagree, what happened in my two cases was pure fraud as both salesman also assured me verbally that I was buying a new, never titled car with the full length warranty as shown on my sales agreement, although something different was entered, either before or after, in their systems.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealers defrauding new car customers?