Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Straniero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... To me the new Cayman looks like a mini Panamera, especially from behind, and I like the old one's esthetics better.

As far as chick's car: A lot of us needed a chick's 'permission' and got it because of the rear seat...

Last edited by Straniero; 11-17-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Mis-quoted previous post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Museum in lower level--must be Autohaus in Lancaster, Pa. Nice museum, nice dealership.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I will never buy a Cayman - it is a hard top Boxster that costs more than its convertible version. Never makes any sense to me.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me a bit of the Panamera.

(and that's a negative)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mk85911
Museum in lower level--must be Autohaus in Lancaster, Pa. Nice museum, nice dealership.
They are a nice group. I live close to Porsche of the Main Line but I think I want to get my car serviced in Lancaster since they have been very helpful so far. Is that where you get yours serviced, and if so, are you pleased with them?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC
Love the Cayman, and was beginning a serious search for one, but showed pictures of it to the wifey.

"Where are the rear seats?"

"It's a two-seater, no rear seats."

"Doesn't Porsche make a car with rear seats?"

"Why yes ... yes they do."

My two 13-year olds love riding in daddy's Carrera.

Same here. Wife likes the Carrera better and no room for the doggie. For me, unfortunatelly it was too cramped and there was too much noise.

The new Cayman will be fantastic and may best the 991. That said, I'd still go for the Carrera for the same reasons.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

i am very happy with my Porsche service at Autohaus Lancaster, as well as the purchase deal and build out experience.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new boxster, but somehow the lines of it don't work as well on the Cayman, to me eye.

I'm sure it's amazing to drive, but I need the part that makes me just stop and stare at it in the garage, too ... and if this is the Cayman, it wouldn't cut it (current one doesn't either, though).
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

More Panamara-like styling. No way. The old Cayman is much, much better looking. Makes the 991 look, dare I say, good. No, I shouldn't have said that. Better. That's what I should have said. Better.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 AM
gencollon2
Intermediate

Something looks off about those headlights, like they are NASCAR decals instead of actual lights. I'm hoping that isn't a real picture, because the old Cayman was so pretty.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default In Garage?

Afshin, take that sports car out of hiding. Took mine to work today albeit with top up. Beats the pick up every day the sun is shining.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

+1

This was the right move. 911 is synonymous with Porsche and I couldn't think of owning any other model Porsche.

Originally Posted by beden1
That Cayman looks gorgeous, and while I'm sure it is an extremely capable sports car, it does not have the heritage of the Carrera 911.

I'm new to Porsche, having bought my 2012 911 GTS Cabriolet in August. I spent some considerable time researching and test driving a number of cars before making my decision to buy my car. During my process, it came down to the Boxster S and the GTS which were both available at the dealership. I wanted a convertible having recently owned a Corvette ZO6. I test drove both the 911 GTS and the Boxster S back and forth about 3 times each. I was stumped because both were very capable cars. I asked the Sales manager what he would do (the Boxster S had a sticker of about $90,000 and my GTS had a sticker of $126,000, and I had prearranged a spectacular trade for my ZO6 and the GTS). The Sales Manager said to go down stairs where they have a small museum of cars on display, and after I had the chance to view the cars and think about it, we would talk.

I saw a virtual history of VWs and Porsches on display, and I could see that the 911s had a proud heritage. I was still on the fence because the new Boxster S was a very capable car in it's own right. I went back to the sales manager and he asked me what I thought. I said that the 911 had a rich tradition which was hard to beat. He said exactly, and although the Boxster S was a very capable sports car, the 911 GTS is one of the best sports cars ever produced. I asked him to let me sleep on it.

I went home and discussed my experience with my wife and she immediately asked why I would consider the Boxster which was both a poor man's Porsche and a chick's car. Needless to say, I made up my decision on the spot, and I now have another reason why my wife has been so for 35 years and counting.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
nitrobrother
AutoX

+1 for the track car. Immagine with a 3.8 dfi engine !
You mean kinda like this one? (Not mine, not related.)

Let me climb on my soapbox for a moment, if I may...

I'm in the market for my first Porsche, and I've driven Boxsters, Caymans, and Carreras during my search. I really liked the Cayman, but as a "big boned" guy, I just didn't fit in it and I do fit in a 997 quite nicely. To say things like "it's a chick's car" or "I wouldn't consider any other model" means it's your opinion and not necessarily valid for anyone else. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be the kind of person who disses someone else for having a different thought process. I also have a messed-up left ankle, and despite owning three-pedal cars for nearly 40 years I'm looking at a Tip or PDK (depending on what I can find) this time around. Does that make me a wimp, weak, or Not A Real Porsche person?

You make your decision based upon you and yours. If you're looking for confirmation of your decision from forum boards, then you need to think more carefully of your needs and wants.

Last edited by nitrobrother; 11-24-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: On the soapbox...sigh.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I've owned two Caymans. The 09 S PDK was a ball to drive both on the street and track. You can get a lot of stuff in the rear hatch area. It was easier packing it than the current GTS. I think I could be happy driving one of the new ones.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When Porsche builds a Cayman Cup Car, Cayman GT3, GT3 RS and GT3 RSR, THEN the street Cayman will be competition for the 911.

I imagine that discussion has taken place many times at Porsche headquarters. The engineers all know a mid engine car can outperform the 911. BUT, the business and marketing guys always win, after considering the nearly 50 year brand building of the 911. As a result, the Cayman/Boxster platform will always be held back.

Quick Reply: New Cayman