Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nuetral With Broken Shift Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 AM
Insomnic
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Nuetral With Broken Shift Cable?

Rarely do I post questions, however after several hours of trolling for answers to finish up a DIY article I'm working on I decided to throw in the towel.

I fell victim to a snapped shift cable last week and am now in the process of replacing/documenting the process. While I've seen a number of posts regarding cup cable swaps, I haven't seen a soup-to-nuts article on the replacement of the stock cables (sticking with plastic, not looking to increase cabin noise on my commuter.)

Everything is prepped and the cables removed, however I'm not exactly sure what position the transmission selector levers (1 and 2 below) should be in to be considered neutral (cable snapped while in 3rd.) Once in neutral I'm gtg in using the shift alignment tool and/or counting threads on the shift linkages.. just not familiar with this gearbox.

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i cant remember which is which but hope this helps: one lever moves "between the gates" - i.e. when you move the shifter left to right when in neutral - and is spring loaded, correct? so, (if the trans is out of gear?) this one should naturally rest/be forced to the middle position, with you being able to nudge it back and forth against the springs. the other lever has 3 distinct positions, the middle being N, and either toward front of car or back of car being in one of the gears.

or simply hook the cables up the way you think it should be and before you put everything back together, just run thru the gears with the car off to make sure everything "feels" right.

i'm pretty sure it's more straightforward/easy than it sounds. hell, i changed mine and while cables were disconnected, also played around with the lever positions yet had no problem hooking everything back up correctly...and I'M an idiot. i'm sure you can do it.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that I think it's the center position for both levers. But the easy way to test is just try spinning the rear wheels. If it's in gear, you'll be working against the engine. If you're in neutral, things will spin
Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Insomnic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Money Pit 951
I agree that I think it's the center position for both levers. But the easy way to test is just try spinning the rear wheels. If it's in gear, you'll be working against the engine. If you're in neutral, things will spin
Doh, how painfully obvious.. it's amazing what you'll miss when you're hyper-focusing on other areas.

After having monkeyed around with the levers over the weekend I did notice the rear wheels spin freely, so I'm likely in the clear. I did note that selector lever #1 clicks into place from left to right (3 positions) quick easily, while lever #2 appears locked in place and a selection cannot be made (regardless of what position #1 is in.)

I suppose I'll know more when I install the cables, however I don't anticipate the linkage changing the lack of mobility with lever #2.

Last edited by Insomnic; 11-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to reading your write up. I don't have an issue with mine, just enjoy reading the DIYs!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Insomnic
Intermediate

DIY posted!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post10035985
Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Isn't there a jig to position the lever in the right spot as you tighten the cable?
Ah, nevermind.. I see you did put it in there.

Quick Reply: Nuetral With Broken Shift Cable?