Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter tires in North Carolina

Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires in North Carolina

I am driving a 2007 C2s.Living in Durham NC.We dont get too much snow and when it snows it usually does not last long.But we do get some cold days ..I never got them on my 87 911 or my Cayman.I did drive the Cayman in snow and it was a handful for sure.I have 19s on now so I would look for 18s?(is that right)..
thanks for the help
Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Size will depend on what you are looking for and preference. Pure winter tires or All Season tires. Prices on 18s are a little less than for 19s, but not by much. Since you are on the edge of snow at all, I'm guessing that you are really looking for a cold weather tire, vs pure snow traction. I have the continental DWS on some 18inch wheels from the 996 generation that I got for a great deal. I'm in Maryland and we don't get much snow, nor will I be driving in it. I wanted a tire that will handle 30 degree days and rain. These seem to do the trick for me.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Even a mediocre snow tire will kick the pants off a great all-season in snow, but you don't get enough snow in Durham to have to really worry about that. In fact, if you don't *have* to drive in snow, a good cool-formula summer tire might be your best choice. Especially if your cars are garaged and thus never really subject to the coldest early morning temps (tires quickly warm as you drive them, and even if parked outside all day, temps are warmer for your afternoon commute.) If you do have to drive in the snow or very cold, you'll have to compromise summer performance and get a good all-season tire.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

Joey:

I live in Cary and decided to try the Continental DWS tire last year. As you know, we had virtually no snow so I can't attest to how it handles snow, but for the moderate cold weather we get, I was satisfied with handling, noise and ride. When I lived in CT, I definitely went to dedicated snow tires, and I was very satisfied with the Dunlop winter tires (on a BMW 3 series).
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was 16 here this morning. I drove to work on standard Pirelli's works fine for me just a little less traction if you really push it. Traction falls off a lot under 45 degrees.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was planning on just leaving my set-up like it is....
also putting new wheels and tires on any week now.....PS3's I think......

which reminds me: where do you get tires?
the ONLY place I will go is Discount Tire right near Target: I take my Merc's there too......
the dudes are very good and know everything you can imagine!

good luck!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

I generally use Tire Rack and then a good local Indy for mounting.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of 18 inch winter wheels with dedicated snows that I run from Halloween until Easter. While we don't have all that many days with snowy roads in the Denver area, the winter compound runs better in the cold temperatures. The Michelin PS2s get very harsh and noisy when it is cold out. My winter avatar pic has the winter wheels on.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jasper1
I generally use Tire Rack and then a good local Indy for mounting.
where is a GOODS indy around here?? lol, thanx!

so wait, you have to get tires one place and have them installed in another??
sounds busy........
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

I've used European Performance on Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. In addition to Porsche service they also have a showroom with select used high performance cars. Worth it even if to drop by to see the cars. If you buy from Tire Rack, they have pre-approved installers and they can drop ship the tires or wheel and tire packages directly to the installer...of course, you will need to schlep your other tires/wheels back with you (in a vehicle that will fit them).
Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jasper1
I've used European Performance on Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. In addition to Porsche service they also have a showroom with select used high performance cars. Worth it even if to drop by to see the cars. If you buy from Tire Rack, they have pre-approved installers and they can drop ship the tires or wheel and tire packages directly to the installer...of course, you will need to schlep your other tires/wheels back with you (in a vehicle that will fit them).
haha: schlep, that's funny......
yeah, I should go check them out, sounds interesting.......piggy back a pullen park visit too.....that place has changed a lot since I was a kid.....
went by the Cary Porsche place this morning.....picked up a car cover....they didn't really have anything to cool in the four car showroom they have...
but it was fun all the same....the Jag place is there too, always fun to go laugh at those....haha.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winter tires in North Carolina