Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche (GT3) RS 4.0 - Fastest lap at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps, but only by milliseconds. I counted 5 up-shifts on the entire lap.

Originally Posted by zanwar
If the 4.0 was PDK it would have lapped a little faster. But it wouldn't be as special a car.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Let me help you out. The Point is....some believe that the PDK (Automatic) is superior and manual shifts are obsolete. They believe the nano second shifting would somehow improve their track times. I can see this in an F1 Car when milliseconds count.

Personally, I think you drive an automatic to make it easier to talk and play with your iphone. Or....maybe it's your daily driver and you want a more pleasant driving experience during your commute. Perhaps, your wife cannot drive a manual. Blah Blah Blah Whatever the reason...it's bunk.

I'll give you a break if you're an amputee.

Note: Just my opinion. It means absolutely nothing'......so calm yourself down.
Your opinion is just that. Yours. And making puerile inane judgements of me and 80% of new porsche buyers with PDK simply shows your views aren't shared by most. I'm sure you'll trash the 918 when it comes out cause it reminds you of a Prius, right? PS - as to your dumb *** reference to amputees, and as today is Veterans Day, I'd be quite honored to let any amputee who risked their lives so YOU can have freedom to voice your opinion, drive my 'inferior' car. Peace brother.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I'll give you a break if you're an amputee.

Note: Just my opinion. It means absolutely nothing'......so calm yourself down.
thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Look, I'm a manual guy too, but you're really beating a dead horse here and bordering on getting offensive. For people who like pdk, its their business, so ease up. Not sure how long you've been on the forums but this has all been hashed over more than any of us care to remember.
I kind of enjoy Spokane's posts. I agree it's beating a dead horse, but it's entertainment and all in good fun.

On a serious note though, what happens when manual Porsches go away and we're all forced to drive new automatics... Then I'll probably wish I spoke out more too.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps, but only by milliseconds. I counted 5 up-shifts on the entire lap.
Probably several hundred milliseconds. It's superior drivetrain tech and that's just a fact. But that's only relevant if your goal is the fastest possible lap.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Probably several hundred milliseconds. It's superior drivetrain tech and that's just a fact. But that's only relevant if your goal is the fastest possible lap.

Zan,
Wow you have a GT3 and a Gran Turismo S. Best of both worlds!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Wow! Simmer down creepy.

If I didn't have an opinion then I guess I'd be a communist like you.

Originally Posted by daberlin
Your opinion is just that. Yours. And making puerile inane judgements of me and 80% of new porsche buyers with PDK simply shows your views aren't shared by most. I'm sure you'll trash the 918 when it comes out cause it reminds you of a Prius, right? PS - as to your dumb *** reference to amputees, and as today is Veterans Day, I'd be quite honored to let any amputee who risked their lives so YOU can have freedom to voice your opinion, drive my 'inferior' car. Peace brother.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Oh boy...if that happens then I guess I'll be driving a Prius or maybe the Volt if GM is still in business.

Originally Posted by mattyf
I kind of enjoy Spokane's posts. I agree it's beating a dead horse, but it's entertainment and all in good fun.

On a serious note though, what happens when manual Porsches go away and we're all forced to drive new automatics... Then I'll probably wish I spoke out more too.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:35 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I counted 6 upshifts. Typically I'd attribute about 0.1 seconds per upshift compared to a Cup car sequential that is nearly seamless. PDK is not quite as seamless. So there's probably a solid 0.5 seconds. With PDK you could left foot brake in T3, T5, T8, & T11 that might also buy some time, plus the flappy paddles are easier to optimize engine braking. Does the 991 PDK support downshift queuing? (the Cup car does). That's worth some extra tenths because it shifts precisely when the engine will be at max revs. Very nifty stuff. Feels like cheating to me, but it works!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:02 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Holy cow that car can accelerate. I had some pretty fast track cars but not that fast. Freaking video had me on edge.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkw911
Holy cow that car can accelerate. I had some pretty fast track cars but not that fast. Freaking video had me on edge.
Indeed, it must be one of the finest 6 cylinder NA motors ever built. The mid-band torque is simply epic. The short gearing doesn't hurt either!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jmenczer
Indeed, it must be one of the finest 6 cylinder NA motors ever built. The mid-band torque is simply epic. The short gearing doesn't hurt either!
Yup. That's why they're going for insane prices these days. Last GT3 car that had a ton shared with the Cup car. Not the case in 991 as the cup version is still using the old Mezger engine!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:11 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Yup. That's why they're going for insane prices these days. Last GT3 car that had a ton shared with the Cup car. Not the case in 991 as the cup version is still using the old Mezger engine!
I think you'll see the engine from the 991 RS in a cup car within two years. So although there's a gap, it's not for long. I saw the new 4.0L motors being built in Zuffenhausen in March and they looked very robust, and every bit a legitimate replacement to the famed Metzger.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jmenczer
I think you'll see the engine from the 991 RS in a cup car within two years. So although there's a gap, it's not for long. I saw the new 4.0L motors being built in Zuffenhausen in March and they looked very robust, and every bit a legitimate replacement to the famed Metzger.
Possibly but it's not proven yet. Who knows!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Wow, that's fast and I thought my 1:44 was good

Quick Reply: Porsche (GT3) RS 4.0 - Fastest lap at Laguna Seca