997.1 steering feel alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997.1 steering feel alternatives

Hi folks,

As my 911.1 enters the 80k's, I am thinking of a replacement. While it still drives great, there are little things that are starting to get to me. For example, as I was unfolding the mirror above my head yesterday, the plastic that covers the screw just broke off. The plastic is also broken on the central mirror.

So I am starting to try out different things. I am considering a 997.2 but am also starting to expand my search a bit. However, I am a bit ruined after 3 years of 911 ownership as a daily driver.

I have tried the cts-v which I thought was interesting but was just absolutely huge. Then I tried an M3 and was left really disappointed. It was a manual and the clutch is really different from the 911 but it wasn't just about that. I could feel the power of the thing but it just felt somewhat awkward and heavy to me. It also lacked any driver involvement.

Recently I tried the Audi S5 and liked it, though it isn't an exact comparison. This Friday I am going in to try the RS5 and am curious about that.

Any suggestions on considerations when looking for a replacement where I will get a similar joy out of driving?

I do need the two rear seats by the way, otherwise I would be considering a lot of other alternatives.

Thanks,

-T
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Petroguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try an S4. I had a late model one (2011) and have driven the 13. It feels more nimble than the 5 and drives considerably "smaller". Power numbers are notoriously conservative. Try driving a six speed and put your foot in it and you may come out of it as impressed as I did. The 5 is sexy, but I didn't think it held a candle to the driving dynamics of the former. I never drove the RS5, THAT is a good option as well.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daily driver is an F150 but I hope to be of some help. I've owned the S4 and the M3 which were great cars. My buddy has the cts-v and although I'm happy that he loves the car...the car doesn't suit my taste. I think if you're looking to get one of the luxury sports sedans then the S4, S5, M3, M5 or any of the AMG's would be really nice to have. Some of these cars are in the $100k range so that would bring me back to a Porsche. You may consider an 09-10 GT3 and take it up a notch.

Originally Posted by tpenta
Hi folks,

As my 911.1 enters the 80k's, I am thinking of a replacement. While it still drives great, there are little things that are starting to get to me. For example, as I was unfolding the mirror above my head yesterday, the plastic that covers the screw just broke off. The plastic is also broken on the central mirror.

So I am starting to try out different things. I am considering a 997.2 but am also starting to expand my search a bit. However, I am a bit ruined after 3 years of 911 ownership as a daily driver.

I have tried the cts-v which I thought was interesting but was just absolutely huge. Then I tried an M3 and was left really disappointed. It was a manual and the clutch is really different from the 911 but it wasn't just about that. I could feel the power of the thing but it just felt somewhat awkward and heavy to me. It also lacked any driver involvement.

Recently I tried the Audi S5 and liked it, though it isn't an exact comparison. This Friday I am going in to try the RS5 and am curious about that.

Any suggestions on considerations when looking for a replacement where I will get a similar joy out of driving?

I do need the two rear seats by the way, otherwise I would be considering a lot of other alternatives.

Thanks,

-T
Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I have owned S4, M3, and even ISF,..you will get back to your 911 regardless.
Try Mustang Boss 302 for a couple of nice quick laps. Just don't focus your attention to inside stuff. It is great package for very resonable money.
Good luck with your search, it is just as fun

----------------------
05' C2S M6T
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 PM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

135 or M1
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would seriously consider an EV as a daily driver for commuter of 100 miles or less per day. Nisan Leaf, Coda, Volt being the lower cost alternatives. There is something cool about not going to a gas station and pump gas.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:06 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

While you are out testing cars, go and check out the 2013 Maserati Gran Turismo Sport. The sound of the engine is fantastic. It wont handle like a porsche but then again nothing will handle like a porsche!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I've also owned my share of MB AMGs, BMW M cars, and Audi. They're all nice in different ways, but nothing they offer could tempt me away from a 911. Having said that, if I were looking for a 911 alternative with back seats, a lightly used Nissan GT-R would be one car on my list.

Quick Reply: 997.1 steering feel alternatives