Oil fill question/odd pop noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Oil fill question/odd pop noise

Quick questions

My oil reads to second line from the top. Should I fill or wait for the next line? I figure that waiting is okay and will change the oil in 1k more.

Was reversing today and I felt an audible pop noise. Felt at first like I rolled over a large pebble or stone, a tire slip feel. Well, looked down saw nothing and my wife thought it strange as well. No issues the rest of the day. Is there the odd pop now and then with a manual?

Btw. The 997 provided plenty of fun today and it just keeps getting better. Started to explore the grip a bit more and just love how the rear end hooks up. Really prefer the rear basis of this car over a mid engine. It was in the 40s here in Chicago and the grip was solid.

What a damn good car!!!!!

I don't want to drive my BMW anymore.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:58 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Oil - As long as it's above the minimum mark, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If it's at or below the min line, I'd add some.

Pop noise - Lot's of mine have done this. Seems related to the park brake - which I don't use but when others set it, the pop sometimes happens in reverse. Again, no concerns for me. It seems to pop one time, then be fine.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Quick questions

My oil reads to second line from top. Should I fill or wait for the next line? I figure that waiting is okay and will change the oil in 1k more.

Was reversing today and I felt an audible pop noise. Felt at first like I rolled over a large pebble or stone, a tire slip feel. Well, looked down saw nothing and my wife thought it strange as well. No issues the rest of the day. Is there the odd pop now and then with a manual?

Btw. The 997 provided plenty of fun today and it just keeps getting better. Started to explore the grip a bit more and just love how the rear end hooks up. Really prefer the rear basis of this car over a mid engine. It was in the 40s here in Chicago and the grip was solid. What a damn good car!!!!!
In reverse order: Damned straight; had you washed it the day before?; and no. Or maybe yes, or... Two lines down is fine for your oil.

The pop: Every time I get my car detailed, the pads stick to the rotors. The rotor is iron of course and most pads have metallic compounds as well. Probably a thin layer of oxide bonding them together weakly. It pops when we move the car. Disconcerting the first time, but nothing to worry about in any case.

Now back to the fun part: At our last DE/TT, a fairly experienced driver had asked for coaching in advanced techniques. He drives a Cayman R, so we spent the morning on several techniques to get the most from his mid-engine chassis. After lunch, having spent a few hours evaluating him at speed and having kidnapped his first-born for security, I offered him the keys to my 997.2S for his next session. He spent the first lap getting used to the power and the next couple getting used to the handling differences I'd told him to look for. After a few laps, he was comfortable in the car and said just about what you say: "Wow, I love the feel of this car!"

I agree with both of you.

Gary
Old 11-04-2012, 12:06 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Good point - the pop is definitely wash/water related as I sit here and think about it.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

biggest challange for me is finding a dead level spot to check my oil....
the NO DIPSTICK thing really trips me out
Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Oil - As long as it's above the minimum mark, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If it's at or below the min line, I'd add some.

Pop noise - Lot's of mine have done this. Seems related to the park brake - which I don't use but when others set it, the pop sometimes happens in reverse. Again, no concerns for me. It seems to pop one time, then be fine.
Thanks guys. Will fill if the level hits the second line before the next oil change. Prior owner said the car wasn't an oil burner (good) but indicated oil consumption will increase with more mileage.

Tstafford, I think it might be related to the parking brake. The car was parked and on an incline for about 1 1/2 hours. That's how long it's takes to vote early here in Illinois. A sticking pad seems to make sense.

Gary, I'm totally captured by the handling of this car. I will get porsche driving instruction in the spring to understand the car better and improve driving skills. I'm still respectful of the rear end and mindful to add power on exits. But getting more comfortable with everything.

I'm so hooked.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
Gasoline station forecourts are often quite level and after a fill up is a good time to check the oil level.

Or if you are parked on level enough spot at the store or at home or at work. I can't believe there's no level (enough) ground in your area upon which you can't check the oil level.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I alway keep oil level at the second line, and add to that level if down.
That way I never overfill and sometimes the level will go to top after sitting.
Have done this with my 06S and my 09S.
Pop is parking brake related.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

If you fill... each bar = ~.4 qtrs.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM
desmoh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not doing the mandatory victory ride after a good washing...I agree with my fellow Porsche owners, the pads stick to the rotors with a thin layer of rust. if you don't want to take her out, blow dry your brake assembly...good luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
A dipstick reading also requires the car on level ground...
Old 11-04-2012, 03:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by desmoh
You're not doing the mandatory victory ride after a good washing...I agree with my fellow Porsche owners, the pads stick to the rotors with a thin layer of rust. if you don't want to take her out, blow dry your brake assembly...good luck.
It could be that or a reverse maneuver. If one reverses a car, brakes to stop and then moves forward, the pads move in the calipers and make a pop sound.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Several years ago I experienced that suspension POP when reversing out of my garage in the midwest after putting my VW Vanagon away wet. With rear engine and rear drive it simply loaded up the suspension and then POP! and then I was on my way. It taught me to be careful about putting it away with damp or wet brakes. A few years later I watched a VW Eurovan (front engine, rear drive) going by me in Telluride, Colorado with a road of packed snow. The left rear wheel wasn't turning at all, just sliding on the snow--the vehicle was merely being pulled the two fronts--driven by the transmission. I stopped the owner and informed him of his dilemma. (He was from Denver). I steered him over to a patch of asphalt over which he placed that left rear wheel. With the friction from the asphalt and the weight of the van the suspension did the typical loading and then POP! and the wheel was back to turning again!

As earlier mentioned, it may be more of an issue today with the higher metallic content of pads.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Petroguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have stated above this isn't anything to concerned with. Every single car I have had has exhibited this.

Quick Reply: Oil fill question/odd pop noise