Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A 911, finally, now how do I clean it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 AM
dealy663
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 911, finally, now how do I clean it?

Well after far too many years it looks like I'll be getting a 911. An '06 997, totally stock w/33k miles.

The only thing that had any signs of wear was on the interior. Nothing major, but some of the plastic has scuffs and there are marks and some dirt. The interior is tan and has leather seats. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what is good for cleaning the leather in particular, and some of the faux leather and matching plastic parts.

Most of the wear is round the window buttons, e-brake and center console.

The PPI is the last hurdle and that is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I'm hoping everything turns out good tomorrow.

Oh one other question. Is it worthwhile to fork over the extra couple hundred for a leakdown/compression test if everything else is in good shape? My mechanic says with so few miles its probably not worth it. If everything else passes muster.

Derek
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I would blow it out with a leaf blower, then vacuum it out. And then wash everything down with hot water and fantastic or simple green and a cloth. When you get to a mark that wont come off, use stronger simple green, if it still wont come off, try a little wax and grease remover. If that wont get it, its probibly not going to come off, you will have to touch it up with dye or color or refinish the part. Wipe everything with a lint free cloth, and dampen it to pick up lint and dust. then a soft paint brush to get into cracks and vents and corners, etc
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
phily911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The leaf blower is new to me but everything else he said is dead on.

Or, just pay for a high quality detail.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

GL with the PPI and purchase. I would tend to agree with your mech assessment re the leak down test especially if the car is a DD. My PPI, for an '08 C2S with 45K hwy miles over 2 yrs, did not include a leak down. Really depends on how the car was used or abused. I suppose that if the car was tracked 20x per year then I'd insist on a leak down. For leather cleaning and conditioning I used Lexol for my prior BMW's with good result and it seems to work effectively for the Porsche as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM
dealy663
Intermediate

This car looks like it has been used gently. The owner is literally a little old lady in her 70s. Apparently she was a major car enthusiast in her youth and competed (and won) in rallyes. I think she's finally giving up on owning a sports car.

Anyways I'll look into the lexol stuff. Never used it before.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

the only leather conditioner you need to look into is leatherique, outshines everything else
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I was a big fan of old-school saddle soap and neatsfoot oil on leather then found out about Leatherique recently. I bought some and now I won't use anything else.

I cleaned and conditioned the leather in my GX470 with 140k miles on it. The driver's seat was wrinkled and filthy. Some minor cracks and it was shiny from use. I used both Leatherique components and was not happy with the results. Then I let the truck sit for a few days and went back to it and cleaned it once more. After the second application, the seat looks amazing. The leather on it looks almost as good as the back seats, which were covered in vinyl since the truck was new.

It's expensive, messy and time consuming but it works.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I was a big fan of old-school saddle soap and neatsfoot oil on leather then found out about Leatherique recently. I bought some and now I won't use anything else.

I cleaned and conditioned the leather in my GX470 with 140k miles on it. The driver's seat was wrinkled and filthy. Some minor cracks and it was shiny from use. I used both Leatherique components and was not happy with the results. Then I let the truck sit for a few days and went back to it and cleaned it once more. After the second application, the seat looks amazing. The leather on it looks almost as good as the back seats, which were covered in vinyl since the truck was new.

It's expensive, messy and time consuming but it works.
Hmmm... now you have my interest. Do you have dark or light leather in the GX470. We have light tan leather and it's toast after 3 yrs of ownership. Die from our blue jeans have impregnated the leather and it looks terrible.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Leather cleaner: Porsche Leather Cleaner - excellent!
Leather Conditioner: Sonus Leather Conditioner - keeps the surface dry with low shine (like new).

In many cars I've tried other products, like Lexol, and found that they leave the surfaces too shiny and a bit sticky.

For general interior cleaning - Griots Interior Cleaner.

For vinyl/rubber trim - 303 Aerospace Protectant.

For undercarriage cleaning - Griots Engine Cleaner.

For wheel cleaning - Griots Wheel Cleaner.

Note: I would not use Simple Green, as it corrodes aluminum and can destroy plastic finishes.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Petroguy
Advanced

+1 on the 303 for sure.

A good leather conditioner is a great idea too but I clean and protect all of my interior surfaces, including leather, with 303 and have for a long time.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congratulations on the car......enjoy to the fullest
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

I am also wondering how to best care for the leather. The Porsche dealer here tells me to just keep it clean (no conditioner etc). - The manual for my wife's lexus recommends only cleaning with a mild woolite solution followed by nothing. I have followed the directions on the lexus and the seats look great (2008) so not sure which way to go-
Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Hmmm... now you have my interest. Do you have dark or light leather in the GX470. We have light tan leather and it's toast after 3 yrs of ownership. Die from our blue jeans have impregnated the leather and it looks terrible.
Leatherique is a two part process. They have an oil that you spread all over everything that is supposed to soften the leather and float out dirt and some stains. The second part is a cleaner that they say rejuvenates the leather. They tell you to be liberal with the stuff.

On my first try, I just think I didn't apply enough product. The second time, I really laid it on and that's what seemed to work. I should have taken before and after pics because the change was impressive.

They also sell dyes in case your leather is stained or too abraded.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

3m rubbing compound does wonders on weathered rubbers and scratched plastics. Try it on an older car's greying rubber seals around the windows or windshield wipers - you would have never thought it could turn black again.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Take pictures and post it on autogeek.net. Lots of professional detailers and hardcore enthusiasts there should be able to help you.

And do not use simple green on your car. 303 is great. I don't like most of griots stuff. It's entry level to premium stuff imho. Some of their cleaners are ok, but their waxes and sealants aren't good.

Any good leather cleaner will be messy and will probably need a day or two to clean and condition properly. Lexol and leatherique are both good. Leather master or einszett should be considered too.

Quick Reply: A 911, finally, now how do I clean it?