Sponsored by:

Replaced the 997 with a Vantage: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500_19B
I think a base V8 Vantage has a MSRP of about $22K more than a Carrera S, is that the sort of price range you saw?
It has a higher starting point, yes, but it may very well be that you can get enough off sticker of the Vantage to make them much closer in real price. I did not price out a 991 and see what kind of discount I got, but Chris was very fair out of the box on the Vantage.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the honest comparo.

It's an incredible looking car, and I hope you enjoy it in good health.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Originally Posted by rodsky
Congrats - very nice. I agree that the AM is better looking. I still would prefer the P cars as they blend in here in LA and once you get past the looks, I think Porsche's have the engineering and total performance edge. But AM certainly is a great GT car.

I am starting to feel the pull of the 991 Cab though. In certain colors it looks great. The 991 is a car where color makes a huge difference. I think the 997 looks great in every color. The 991 looks great in some colors and just OK in others.
Aston Martins look great no question.

While I'm not a cab guy, IMHO the 991 cab in white with a red top looks utterly fantastic. Agree about color with the 991. It needs the lighter colors to look its best. I'd take one in guards red or gt silver all day long.
Exactly! White looks great. Black looks awkward.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

So when I trade my 997.2 in a 991, I shoudn't get a black one? I always have bought a black car out of habit. Seriously. We have three cars now, all black. My last vehicle that wasn't black was a Chevy Tahoe 10 or 12 years ago. I only bought that one in white because I was pressed for time on that purchase.

My dealer has a silver 991 Cab that I've looked at carefully a few times, and to my eyes it doesn't look any better than black. Am I in the minority here? I do think the 991 Cabs with the top up look quite a bit better than the 997 car with the top up. Removing the "hump" was a HUGE leap forward. Just my opinion.

I would never own a red or yellow car under any circumstances. Well maybe a Ferrari in red.

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you see a white 991 cab yet? There is a porsche commercial online where they show a white cab with a red top. I think it has red seats too. Ouchie momma. Give it a search.

The 991 is a more slender, longer and lower looking car. It's more subtle than the 997 and I think dark colors mask the lines. Particularly the front hood and wheel arches. The dealer here has two black cars. I've stared at length and have trouble completing the look.

Black always works and its a safe choice. Of course it's just an opinion. Silver with red (per the Boxster ads)?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:32 PM
munkholm997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!

I'm the proud owner of a 06, 997 4S as a daily driver, but like you, I have always had my eye on a AM. I think I will go that way, maybe in combination with a 70's 911 Club-sport.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Very interesting report...

Two separate times (2006 and 2009) I considered a Vantage ahead of a 997.... and two separate times I bought 997s. The first time there was a $30K price discrepancy, but that wasn't what put me off. A buddy was the road test editor for Motor Trend at the time and had just come back from driving the 997 and Vantage back-to-back at Laguna Seca. He told me to get the 997 - I listened. The second time, I was REALLY close. Even took the wife on an extended test-drive. I ended up with the 997 since I couldn't pass up the build quality and that "Porscheness".

That said, I lust after Astons like almost nothing else. I've told my wife on many occasions that I'll have a V8 Vantage in my garage(s) one day. It's a beautiful, beautiful car, so full of character, amazing detailing, and a genuine sense of occasion. When I was mulling the decision with a co-worker, he told me something profound: "No matter what you do, what you wear, where you work, you'll be 'That Guy With The Aston'". Well done, sir.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you consider the Maserati Granturismo? If I was looking for an Aston, that car would also be on my radar.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by fastm3
Did you consider the Maserati Granturismo? If I was looking for an Aston, that car would also be on my radar.
I did; ultimately the Aston won out for me but I do like the GT. Not a huge fan of what they've recently done with the front end aero bits (thought the car looked better 3 years ago), but a hell of a car nonetheless. Also, I'd have to take it to the local Ferrari dealership for service, and it's too much of a slippery slope. I don't want to go in for an oil change and drive off in a used 599, which would be almost certain to happen.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 AM
zanwar
Pro

The GranTurismo is a very different car. It's much larger and heavier. It has full size rear seats, which is the main reason I chose it over an Aston. I find both cars to be equally attractive, but the Maserati is brash, where the Aston Martins are elegant. The interior is nicer than any Porsche, but not close to the bespoke jewel like quality of the Astons.

The dealer I bought the car from also handles Ferrari, Aston Martin and McLaren so I'm already on the slippery slope.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 AM
boolala
Race Car

The GranTurismo will probably be the replacement for my S550. As far as the Vantage--I would never buy one.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Vantage is a beautiful ride!
Enjoy
Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
The GranTurismo will probably be the replacement for my S550. As far as the Vantage--I would never buy one.
why would you never buy one? I've heard many times that Mas cars are in the shop more than they're on the road.....
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
why would you never buy one? I've heard many times that Mas cars are in the shop more than they're on the road.....
I leased rather than purchased my GranTurismo for this precise reason. Turns out the current generation of Maserati cars are reliable enough. They're basically badge engineered products. Ferrari 612 platform, Ferrari built V8 and body by Pininfarina. The Maserati factory puts everything together. Mine came with a squeaky seat rail and an ill fitting glovebox, nothing that couldn't be fixed. They've been making the current generation of Astons for a while now and I imagine they also have the bugs worked out. If the Vantage or DB9 had fit my needs, I would have bought one.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the new car! A true beauty!

However your 997 was almost exactly how i would order a 997 from the factory, white/black manual with the carbon seats!!! BTW, did you trade it in and at which dealer?

Quick Reply: Replaced the 997 with a Vantage: Initial Impressions