Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going left

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I thought I was the only guy on the planet with a 911 and a CR-V. My wife loves those things.... It's her 4th. Good lord do opposites ever attract.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Saab has it in the center console because of their aeronautics heritage.
Don't know about this. Most planes have the ignition key on the left like a Porsche.

My vehicles are also quite different so I'm constantly doing the wrong thing:
Airplane: no keyless entry and ignition on the left
993 & 997: keyless entry and ignition on the left
M3 and wife's Volvo: convenience key (keep it in a pocket or bag) and pushbutton start on right side

My biggest issue is when valet parking (typically in the Volvo, sometimes the BMW) when I have a tendency to walk away with the key in my pocket. They can still drive the car (albeit with a bunch of dinging) but they can't restart it once they shut it off. So they have to hunt me down in the restaurant. Very convenient!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
Don't know about this. Most planes have the ignition key on the left like a Porsche.

My vehicles are also quite different so I'm constantly doing the wrong thing:
Airplane: no keyless entry and ignition on the left
993 & 997: keyless entry and ignition on the left
M3 and wife's Volvo: convenience key (keep it in a pocket or bag) and pushbutton start on right side

My biggest issue is when valet parking (typically in the Volvo, sometimes the BMW) when I have a tendency to walk away with the key in my pocket. They can still drive the car (albeit with a bunch of dinging) but they can't restart it once they shut it off. So they have to hunt me down in the restaurant. Very convenient!
There's a whole episode on TopGear about Saab. Look it up on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 552 Posts

neanicu- I wasn't really disagreeing with you and know that Saab has a lot of pride in their aviation experience, I was just pointing out that this one was a bit of strange choice since many planes don't even have keys and a lot of the planes that do have keys (smaller planes) are usually on the left. Very few actually have the keys on the console (maybe Saab planes do). But I should have explained better.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be urban legend, but the explanation I heard was saab thought it was safer to locate the key in the console, so that in a crash, you would not be impaled on a key protruding from the dash.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this time I though Saab had a center console ignition because they thought most owners liked all the scratches the keys made by having to lay flat... Silly me.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
neanicu- I wasn't really disagreeing with you and know that Saab has a lot of pride in their aviation experience, I was just pointing out that this one was a bit of strange choice since many planes don't even have keys and a lot of the planes that do have keys (smaller planes) are usually on the left. Very few actually have the keys on the console (maybe Saab planes do). But I should have explained better.
It's actually interesting to see that video. They're trying to find an explanation as to why they went bust. The best part was to see when they've made a model that was using a yoke instead of a steering wheel It was a total flop,you can imagine!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
BTW, I have 2 Porsches and an Audi and am also frequently reaching for the ignition on the "wrong" side.
Funny, I've got an A3 TDI, a 997 S, and I'll likely be adding a Cayenne Diesel here shortly... Great minds and all that.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Funny, I've got an A3 TDI, a 997 S, and I'll likely be adding a Cayenne Diesel here shortly... Great minds and all that.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I love my Saab convertible almost as much as my 09S.
It's fun, reasonably quick and plenty of tinkering to do.
Mine happens to be a 5 speed manual.
GM killed it, NEVS is rebuilding Saab into all electric vehicles, based on the 93 platform.
They should be interesting cars, when they debut.
https://picasaweb.google.com/larrytrk/Saabie
Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't know about the Saab but definitely true re: Porsche/LeMans as it allowed the driver to grab the ignition switch and gearshift simaltaneously after jumping into the car. I've seen this mentioned in Porsche's own literature and in the definitive book "Porsche: Excellence Was Expected".
I know the porsche guys make a huge deal of the key placement, but if you really think about it, its really pretty stupid.

Firstly, they could have simply had their driver work on his sprinting, probably would have saved more time.

Secondly, did they really think that this one second difference is making a difference in a 24 hour race? its ridiculous.

The things people get excited about
Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Firstly, they could have simply had their driver work on his sprinting, probably would have saved more time.
I bet they did that too. Germans are well known for their thoroughness and attention to detail.

Secondly, did they really think that this one second difference is making a difference in a 24 hour race? its ridiculous.

The things people get excited about.
Maybe they wanted to get their cars off the grid more quickly to try and avoid traffic and the associated increased potential for an early shunt. Regardless of whether putting the key on the left was actually effective, or what you and I think of it, it's still a small piece of Porsche's LeMans heritage, and an interesting bit of trivia (even if you don't find it particularly exciting).
Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I do this all of the time. Just tells me I would rather be driving my Porsche!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know the porsche guys make a huge deal of the key placement, but if you really think about it, its really pretty stupid.

The things people get excited about
I like that my car has a couple of unique idiosyncrasies that have been maintained for many years and not succumbed to "the way it's supposed to be".
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Straniero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
haha, I have the opposite problem being a noob to the marque
I pressed the remote today, after getting out of the car, thinking I was unlocking the rear doors to get my luggage from the back... Locked it instead... I'm used to an Audi RS4.

And how often have I put my left foot down on a clutch pedal made of air in my wife's Acura...? That' a great feeling...

We do a lot "on the spine", I suppose.

Quick Reply: Going left