Sponsored by:

OT: HWY speed limit of 85 MPH! Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TNR911
I'm all for higher speed limits. But what I would really like to see is an enforcement campaign to ticket everyone just cruising in the fast lane without passing. Or anyone driving in the fast lane with no traffic in the slower lanes.
+1... this is THE KEY!

Everytime I am in Germany I am amazed how much everyone obeys the rules of the road. Passing on the right is a huge offence in Germany, you can lose your license if you did so.

So, at higher speeds, the left lane must be for passing, and there must be strong enforcement if someone doesn't obey... should we say, ticket if you are lower than a minimum speed limit in the passing lane?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

If governments are so broke why don't they increase the limits on all the safe roads and charge a toll. Hell, I'd pay here to drive the Sea to Sky at 120km for a toll. No question. That hwy USED to be a killer but no more since adding lanes for the 2010 Olympic games. Since then it just eats (impounds) Porsches driving 40km over the 80km limit.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Agreed. Driving down 680 the other day with my kids in the 911 I was able to point out a guy in a trashed Honda accord with duct tape keeping the fender on, driving with earbuds in, smoking a cigarette, air drumming, driving with his knees and going 80 mph.

Needless to say we slowed down, got over a few lanes and put some distance between us.

There are some real idiots out there. The requirements will not toughen up because it means revenue. License fees, gas tax, registration, insurance. The more the merrier.
oh man, especially in the bay area!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
If governments are so broke why don't they increase the limits on all the safe roads and charge a toll. Hell, I'd pay here to drive the Sea to Sky at 120km for a toll. No question. That hwy USED to be a killer but no more since adding lanes for the 2010 Olympic games. Since then it just eats (impounds) Porsches driving 40km over the 80km limit.

Because that would be labeled a tax on the poor by the left ...
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Does Montana have a speed limit yet or still "safe & prudent"?
Montana hasn't had "reasonable and prudent" speed limits since 1999. More info (and some interesting reading) here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...States#Montana
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Does Montana have a speed limit yet or still "safe & prudent"?
Montana had to drop the reasonable and prudent speed limit law because there was disagreement as to what was reasonable and prudent.

The driver had his opinion. The citing officer had his. And then the court had an opinion.

And the opinions of the above differed depending whether they were in the eastern (less populated) area of the state or in the western area.

So specific speed limits were put into effect.

Some states can have a speeding violation rewritten/amended to a wasting of finite resources. I tried this in AZ and the PA denied my request to have the speeding charge (85mph in a 75mph) dropped to a wasting finite resources citation. She had just be cited for speeding not too many days before I shoed up at the courthouse and had become a crusader against speeders everywhere. Thankfully the judge was a bit less a zealot...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy driving fast as much as anybody but going 85 on a flat straight highway in Texas doesn't sound like that much fun. I'll take the curvy roads in the rolling hills of rural Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:17 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

There are some parts thru Austin which have some curves to them. Flat or curved I'd much rather get there sooner so very much appreciate the recent mph increase.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Montana had to drop the reasonable and prudent speed limit law because there was disagreement as to what was reasonable and prudent.
And to this day I am still astounded that nobody foresaw that problem.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm afraid Montana caved in 2000 due to withholding of Federal highway funds. We've had a numerical speed limit ever since.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red carrera
I'm afraid Montana caved in 2000 due to withholding of Federal highway funds. We've had a numerical speed limit ever since.
good old government; always knows whats best for the people lol.......NOT
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
There are some parts thru Austin which have some curves to them. Flat or curved I'd much rather get there sooner so very much appreciate the recent mph increase.
Don't know if you saw the local news story last night - two cars leaving Austin downtown for the AT&T Center (Spurs arena) in San Antonio - the one using the toll road took 22 minutes longer than the one running IH35...probably a less stressful drive though.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Don't know if you saw the local news story last night - two cars leaving Austin downtown for the AT&T Center (Spurs arena) in San Antonio - the one using the toll road took 22 minutes longer than the one running IH35...probably a less stressful drive though.
I can see that... we were on the south bound section below Buda a few weeks ago heading to Lockhart. That section was still unfinished so they rerouted us to the parallel frontage road. It took a lot longer getting to Blacks BBQ vs. going down I-35 as it was one lane and we were stuck behind a long line of cars behind a dump truck doing 45 mph. I wonder if it's finished by now. That might explain the delay vs. I-35. After a Spurs' game though I might just take I-35 vs. the toll road as there isn't that much traffic in the late evening once you get out of the arena area and that's a fairly direct route back up to Austin.

We've been using the east and northern bound toll road from Steiner Ranch to College Station... I estimate it saves us about 30 minutes in good traffic and much more in bad traffic as the toll road is never backed up it seems plus the higher speed limits get us there sooner vs. later... We'll have to try the south bound section one of these days to see if it's finished by now. It would be great just to avoid the north bound congestion and those "I'm just going to drive 55 in the fast lane even though the speed limit is 70" drivers. I-35 seems to be plague with these types especially when they see me behind them.

Quick Reply: OT: HWY speed limit of 85 MPH! Finally!