Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking this guy up on Friday.... :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:15 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I purchased this plate which utilizes the tow hook so there's no need to drill holes into the front fascia. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Fron...-/280537947853 It works well but I took it off after two wks and I now keep it in the frunk. LEO has not pulled me over for not having the front plate yet after 1.5+ yrs.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If the front bumper does not have hole then don't let them drill hole. If you wnat to run a front plate then get the tow hook mount. Lots of different versions out there. I think I bought mine from a guy called Rolf Strumberger.
Here is a link. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-mount-2.html
Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A beautiful GTS! Congratulations on finally getting yourself a tremendous 911. Have the service advisor go over everything from front to rear. Have them explain how to check the oil, etc. Have them brief you on tire pressure. Get them to spend some time with you so that you know everything that is important to know. They should also set up the lights for you if you want for DRLs. (I have them turned on with one of my two keys).

As you go through the break in for the car, remember that break in restrictions are generally understood to apply more to the new driver, than to the engine. Also, suspension components and brakes need to start to adjust to each other within the first few thousand miles. If the vehicle on a perfect road surface does not track to your satisfaction--perfectly--then return the car for a free alignment. Porsche will do a free alignment on new cars after delivery--but they won't do them forever. If something doesn't feel right, talk to them about it. Since this is your first Porsche, I suggest that you find a good trusted agent and friend who knows Porsches and let him or her drive it with you a little just so that they can tell you that they sense everything is perfect. (I used to do this for friends new to Porsche).

Some words of advice:

(1) Put the best fuel into that you can find.
(2) Do not skimp on tires; do not have the dealership adjust your alignment for better tire life--it's a compromise of the potential handling of a car designed for handling. Remember that a Porsche 911 uses tires far quicker than most other cars.
(3) Keep a log book. Keep an eye on oil consumption and other consumables and document everything in the log book. Change oil at 6,000 miles. Too often is not good either. Start to stock up on Mobil 1 (0-W40)

Now, go out and enjoy it. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
Front plate is NOT a must in Texas. Yes there is a law but they forgot to put in a fine and a fine amount. So right now you can run without a front plate because there is not fine attached the offence.
gino, function is correct about the fine amount being omited from the law, however they can still use this as an excuse to pull you over. I was in line going into cars and coffee when a cop pulled up and next to us and said "you in the black porsche pull over". The guy in front of me in a 997 pulled over. I talked to him later that day and he said the cop gave him a ticket for no front license plate and dark window tint. A good friend of mine with a 964 has been pulled over twice in Dallas for no front plate. I put on the stock front bracket just so I would not be hassled. In certain areas of the state the police will never bother you and in others they will. Nice car by the way, congrats.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Beautiful GTS. Today's the big day, right? Did you sleep last night? Make sure to post more pics when you get them. Welcome and enjoy.

P.s. whoops - it looks it it's NEXT Friday. Oh man. You poor soul. Get some sleep.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As suggested elsewhere within Rennlist (997) so a search for alternative mounting methods.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by duke92
Owner's manual and 2 keys. I presume it is used (already has side markers changes for clears by first owner). Get print out of record of previous maintenance. Is it CPO'd? Find out exact date that CPO expires for your records and peace of mind. If not CPO'd, why not? Check DME printout.
About the keys, additionally, make sure that along with the keys you get the little plastic tag that has the key serial number on it (on a new purchase it will be attached to one of the keys). If you ever need another key made, I think they come from Germany and PAG will need the serial number to make a duplicate. If you don't get the key serial number make sure the dealer looks it up for you.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drill the bumper!

Just put the plate in the glove box, and if you get pulled over tell the guy that you have the plate, but no place to put it. If he gives you a ticket, it would likely be a fix it ticket and you can get a tow hook bracket to put it on to show you are in compliance (until the attention wears off then remove it).

I've had cars in Texas with no front plate going back to 1990 with no problems. Now that I say that, I'll probably get pulled over this weekend.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
Front plate is NOT a must in Texas. Yes there is a law but they forgot to put in a fine and a fine amount. So right now you can run without a front plate because there is not fine attached the offence.

Make sure you get TWO KEYS!!! Another key will cost you $300. Might also check the frunk for the tools and air pump.
Be sure you've got the wheel lock key also located in the frunk.
Get ALL the manuals. If they don't have them all, they will find them for you.
Get the CPO checklist. This can be used against them should something not be right and the checklist says they checked it.
Be sure there is NO aftermarket equipment on her. If there is, they cannot CPO it.
Sometimes they don't know. But you don't want an issue to come up and then they think you installed the aftermarket stuff.

Enjoy.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gino'61
Thanks, guys! Useful stuff!
And no, it is not pre-owned so now I am wondering about the side markers, although everything I saw about the GTS had them clear....
Thanks again!
My GTS has amber side markers as do all US cars because that's a law. The clear side markers are aftermarket.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
gravis121
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I also required a front plate holder to my 911s. The dealer installed one off another Porsche vehicle which is apparently the same as a 911 curviture front bumper.

A tech told me that there is a certain detail on the front of your bumper as to where to install a plate holder. This ensures its that the holder is centered properly on your bumper.

O yea ! beautiful car gino !!!
I used heavy duty velcro...This is made out of plastic and does not fray after repeated use:
Amazon Amazon

I simply attached one velcro strip on the the foglight and the other end on the back of the front license plate. I keep the front in the trunk and attach it when I am parked on a public street. (remember cops cant give issue tickets on "private property" like your grocery store parking lot)

The velro is hardly noticeable on the foglight and you can easily take it off. It's a cheap, easy solution.

Also, I have forgotten to take off the license plate a few times and have gone on the highway. The velcro is strong enough to hold highway speeds.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
termaccount9
8th Gear

I live in NJ, same deal here. Be sure to get one of the many available that screw into the front tow hook area. Simply unscrew it and replace the cover when you're at a show or out of state.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride. Here in Hawaii were are required to have a front plate. I need to mount it once a year to pass our safety inspection, other than that it rides in the frunk. I went with the tow hook option as well. http://rhoplate.com/Products-Porsche.html
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Very nice
Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, happy to report that everything went great and having your suggestions made for a more knowledgeable situation.

The car feels great and I was able to give it a couple of runs already. Also spent some time in Dallas traffic which was a good test for my clutching ability.

I will wing it on the front license plate for a while and we'll see what happens if I get pulled over. Already ordered one from Skene design just in case. Random experiment on the streets here rendered roughly 10% of all cars without front license plates so that's giving me more confidence.

And no, the car is new and it still has clear side markers.... gotta ask the factory, I guess

Thank you all for your suggestions! Will post more photos whenever there's time. Travelling all week starting tomorrow!! At least tonight I will sleep like a baby after Christmas!

Quick Reply: Picking this guy up on Friday.... :)