Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Change Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Congrats Gary. Sounds like you've found a car that yanks yer soul and not yer spine. Perfect. I always enjoy your rants. See no reason why you'll have to shift to the 991 forums. Looking forward to your pics.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Gary - great write up regarding PDK and congrats on the car. At first I thought it would be heresy to buy a 997 without a manual transmission after having 3 previous gens of 911 with, but I love PDK. The Sport and Sport Plus modes certainly add to the fun as well. : )
Old 10-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice to see future plans, + the car is gonna be great !!

Regards
Old 10-18-2012, 03:19 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats Gary and please continue to visit the 997 forum... I find your postings considerate and insightful.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:33 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

cheers to the new acquisition! of course my mind's eye has a great view of it already but will appreciate your reducing it to many many nicely combined, colorful pixels...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

congrats - did you ever get a chance to test the GT?

the throttle blip on the PDK intrigues me too, would love to drive one one day
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, thanks SO MUCH for your excellent analysis. Makes me want to endeavor to research and experience the PDK a bit more. There are times in my M/T '07 C4S that I cannot tell which gear I am in because the car seems so smooth and fast that I forget which gear I am actually in. I actually have to concentrate and focus on which gear I am cruising in so that when I want to either upshift or downshift, i have the pattens set in my brain, if this makes sense. I have often wished that Porsche had a pictorial in the tach to indicate which manual gear you are in. To my great surprise they have included this feature in the new 991 equipped with a manual gearbox.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:37 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
congrats - did you ever get a chance to test the GT?

the throttle blip on the PDK intrigues me too, would love to drive one one day
Well, yes, sorta, kinda, in a way. They had to have my car for a couple of hours to do that clutch-microswitch repair and the guys in Sales gave me the keys to a GT3 ordered by some guy with a loose pen. Looked like he or she just ran a line down the options list and said: yeah, gimme all that. Then the pilot never got picked up. I drove it a few miles and was impressed for all the expected reasons, but I don't remember details except two thoughts:
  • Boy, this is silky; and
  • Who knew you could get leather on that doohickey?

Race cars aren't really silky. Truck-like is a better description until you get them up to speed. That was the first time I seriously considered a GT3 suitable for anything but track work. I did think about one this time, as you know, but even with 'silky' it isn't likely my spine would tolerate a GT3's more direct feel of the road. California roads aren't that good, so I didn't push for another test last week.

Besides, the 'fun' quotient of a track car comes in two parts. Bragging rights, of which I accrued an ample supply in a daring youth; and thumping people with fast time of the day. Time in between is just time between laps. I decided I need more daily fun and less track exuberance if I'm going to stretch out my driving years. So no track car.

The specific leather doohickey, or maybe it was a doodad, is a lost memory. I was grieving pretty heavily that day. No need to get into details, but my condition probably explains why they just tossed me the keys and told me to come back some day. I guess it was a pity drive.

Gary
Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Gary, thanks SO MUCH for your excellent analysis. Makes me want to endeavor to research and experience the PDK a bit more. There are times in my M/T '07 C4S that I cannot tell which gear I am in because the car seems so smooth and fast that I forget which gear I am actually in. I actually have to concentrate and focus on which gear I am cruising in so that when I want to either upshift or downshift, i have the pattens set in my brain, if this makes sense. I have often wished that Porsche had a pictorial in the tach to indicate which manual gear you are in. To my great surprise they have included this feature in the new 991 equipped with a manual gearbox.
Didn't drive a manual 991, but that doesn't surprise me at all. Like you, I find the 997 already so smooth in every gear that I do often touch the shift lever to remind myself what gear it's in. That, or I glance at the tach, because I know an indicated 63 mph at 3000 rpm means fifth gear, while 3000 rpm on the freeway means ... well, like that.

Gary
Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Congrats Gary. Sounds like you've found a car that yanks yer soul and not yer spine. Perfect. I always enjoy your rants. See no reason why you'll have to shift to the 991 forums. Looking forward to your pics.
Rants?!? Rants, you say? I occasionally post completely objective and constructive critiques of the bumbling way the world operates.

Will also post a boring long description and numerous pictures as soon as my new car arrives. Thank you to each of you who make me feel welcome here. I'll stick around, even if I start annoying the folks over in the 991 forum as well,

Can you believe they offered to loan me a Cayenne until mid-November in exchange for turning in my Carrera now? Do I sound like a guy who would be interested in an off-road excursion in place of two DE events in that period?

Gary, not ranting, just saying
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I feel that your "rant" was one of the most valuable insights into the 991 and PDK that I have seen.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Gary I am right there with you and do not like the paddles/ two hand shifting. Much prefer the conventional controls.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, as others said, glad you found something that will make you happy. Don't leave the 997 forums. I don't post much, but I come to read the forums and I've enjoyed your posts a lot. It would be a loss to me to not have your posts. In any case, do what you will and what makes you happy.

Regards.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Gary, as others said, glad you found something that will make you happy. Don't leave the 997 forums. I don't post much, but I come to read the forums and I've enjoyed your posts a lot. It would be a loss to me to not have your posts. In any case, do what you will and what makes you happy.
Honestly, it makes me happy most days coming the 997 forum. I'll be sticking around.

Gary
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Rants?!? Rants, you say? I occasionally post completely objective and constructive critiques of the bumbling way the world operates.

Will also post a boring long description and numerous pictures as soon as my new car arrives. Thank you to each of you who make me feel welcome here. I'll stick around, even if I start annoying the folks over in the 991 forum as well,

Can you believe they offered to loan me a Cayenne until mid-November in exchange for turning in my Carrera now? Do I sound like a guy who would be interested in an off-road excursion in place of two DE events in that period?

Gary, not ranting, just saying
LOL. Totally understood Gary and I stand corrected!

I'm not sure what they talk about over in the 991 forum. There's probably nothing that goes wrong and very few will be doing mods. I think we may see you hanging around here looking for excitement!

Quick Reply: Time to Change Porsches