Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I drove a 997.1S -- Good grief it's quick!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Yes, but they all differ. That's why I asked if you have 997.2S data from the same sources you used for that paragraph I quoted.
The data for that paragraph comes from a page I last updated some years back: http://www.weissach.net/996-997_RoadTestSummary.html

The source for each test is cited on that page - which is usually a magazine publication and its publication date. Typically its from the mainstream US publications, as most UK/Australian/SouthAfrican mags (historically) didn't capture/publish their own instrumented data - they simply published the manufacturers specs.

So for a period of a few years, I'd update the tables as issues came out. I'd also add a link to the article on their sites if available.

But then I got lazy and haven't updated that page in some years, hence no 997.2 data listed. Also, a lot of the links to the online version of the articles have rotted over years.

But if i ever get around to adding more data, I'd start by trawling the sites of the US publications, and Autocar in the UK if they ever fix their site and allow you to access their historical data (which dates to pre-war).

As regards the result varying, they certainly do! Individual cars off the production line vary (e.g. the engine bore milling tool head has a finite life, so generated bore diameters from that tool start at one end of tolerance range, and then end up at the other by the end of its life), test conditions can vary dramatically, driver technique, use of rollout, etc.

So I think its important to look at results from as many independent instrumented tests as possible, and 'digest the spread' to get a true sense of a cars performance. IMO picking one specific test of "car X on day Y did 0-60 in Z seconds" can't be used as some definitive statement for all examples of that car.

It was one of the reasons I started compiling the data back in the day...

Karl.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:56 PM
munkholm997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The funny thing about having a 997 4S as a daily driver, is that you actually get used to it. The other day I literately thought that my car wasn't that fast, until I hit the Autobahn (living in Germany) and there you REALLY feel the 911 power. +5000 rpm and it becomes a monster.

For me personally I'm not that into the "top-speed" "0-60" thing, I'm more into the actual "feel" of the 911, its the 3.8 engine sound, the way it drives, the special feel when the sport-mode is engaged, the heritage, the history, the design....just everything about the 911 is a thing I haven't experienced in ANY other car.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by munkholm997
For me personally I'm not that into the "top-speed" "0-60" thing, I'm more into the actual "feel" of the 911, its the 3.8 engine sound, the way it drives, the special feel when the sport-mode is engaged, the heritage, the history, the design....just everything about the 911 is a thing I haven't experienced in ANY other car.
Ditto... add to that its driving dynamics, the way only a short wheelbase 11 dances.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought a 2005 Carrera Tiptronic last month after wanting a Porsche for the past forty years. It is a one owner, low miles car with all records, it passed the PPI with flying colors. The car has exceeded my expectations in terms of performance and overall joy of ownership. I went ahead and purchased the full 48 months/50,000 mile warranty through the local Porsche dealership for my peace of mind. Though it was difficult to justify the purchase of the car on a practical level, my wife encouraged me to to go ahead and do it. It has been a great decision.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
I bought a 2005 Carrera Tiptronic last month after wanting a Porsche for the past forty years. It is a one owner, low miles car with all records, it passed the PPI with flying colors. The car has exceeded my expectations in terms of performance and overall joy of ownership. I went ahead and purchased the full 48 months/50,000 mile warranty through the local Porsche dealership for my peace of mind. Though it was difficult to justify the purchase of the car on a practical level, my wife encouraged me to to go ahead and do it. It has been a great decision.
Welcome to the family. That's why I finally got my first Porsche. My wife insisted.

Gary
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife insisted that my daily driver have back seats for my then 3 yr old.

Quick Reply: I drove a 997.1S -- Good grief it's quick!