997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible GT3/S decisions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012 | 11:41 AM
MMK110464
Instructor

There are new 997.2 Cabs still available across the country. You can get between 15k-20k off on them
Old 10-11-2012 | 02:24 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

What's involved/required to track prep a cab?
Old 10-11-2012 | 02:47 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sjfehr
You're not thinking far enough outside the box. Your one true solution is obvious: cybernetic spinal replacement!
The very thing! Actually, my school is looking into that. Decades of research still to go, but it is likely. In a couple of generations.

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Have you looked into shock damping mounts for seats? When the DoD puts sensitive electronics into ships and vehicles, they don't usually directly harden the equipment, they put springs on the racks to absorb the most dangerous shocks. But what it's really doing is changing the resonant frequency of the equipment, dampening a high-amplitude high-frequency shock into lower frequencies that the equipment can withstand without breaking. I'm amazed Porsche (or the aftermarket) hasn't developed something specifically for this; I'd have to think it's a common issue, given how much of their demographic is retirees.
Well, they have -- in a way -- it's spelled A-U-D-I. I didn't complicate the note with that, but you're right that mounts are an important part of shock isolation. We use those spring mounts to do a frequency shift on the large displacement shock events. They create complications though, because bottoming them out causes even higher frequency shock delivery.

From my experiments, it appears that suspension response to road bumps and dips isn't crucial. That matters, because I have the sciatic nerve under pressure and it doesn't appreciate those loads, but the worst problem in my case is vibration in the middle range of frequencies. I have a compressed spinal cord and some interaction is going on they haven't identified yet. The egg-crate foam is isolating the bony structures of my spine from those frequencies, so I need to have a seat that does that.

Isolation mounts are part of my plan. Probably not spring mounts that we use for large displacement events, but the ones we use for other frequencies. They look like a polyurethane biscuit bonded to bolts on each side. I haven't looked into specific part numbers yet because a problem arises. Porsche people won't be able to install those for me. They would invalidate the crash testing and create an unsellable car in the United States. I have to get the best seat I can from Porsche sources and then go to a good shop to have the mounts installed and the wiring adapted after the fact.

Of course, that means I'm taking a crash risk myself, and details are moot because I wouldn't suggest someone else take this specific approach, but personally I suspect my spine won't survive the sort of crash where those isolation mounts would matter. In any case, I'm willing to take the risk to avoid the dreaded Floopy Jaguar, or even an Audi Assault on my life.

Gary
Old 10-11-2012 | 02:50 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
What's involved/required to track prep a cab?
Nothing I know of if we're talking about DE/TT track days. The manufacturer's rollover protection is enough. If you mean racing, the answer is a coupe.

If you mean ways to make a Cab lap faster, I have no idea. Traditionally, convertibles are not racing platforms and mods get tricky. The suspension is carefully matched to the chassis stiffness in a properly designed convertible like the Carrera Cab, so mods are as likely to screw up the handling as improve it.

Gary
Old 10-11-2012 | 07:37 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by simsgw
Isolation mounts are part of my plan. Probably not spring mounts that we use for large displacement events, but the ones we use for other frequencies. They look like a polyurethane biscuit bonded to bolts on each side. I haven't looked into specific part numbers yet because a problem arises. Porsche people won't be able to install those for me. They would invalidate the crash testing and create an unsellable car in the United States. I have to get the best seat I can from Porsche sources and then go to a good shop to have the mounts installed and the wiring adapted after the fact.

Of course, that means I'm taking a crash risk myself, and details are moot because I wouldn't suggest someone else take this specific approach, but personally I suspect my spine won't survive the sort of crash where those isolation mounts would matter. In any case, I'm willing to take the risk to avoid the dreaded Floopy Jaguar, or even an Audi Assault on my life.
I don't suppose you can find a floating trucker seat that would both fit in a Porsche and give you proper lateral support during cornering, huh? Wonder if you could at least get the right pieces off one to retrofit to a race seat?
Old 10-11-2012 | 07:48 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Have you tried an air seat cushion... I started using one for those 13 hrs flights from Dallas to Tokyo when I used to fly out there once a month on business. I filled them up partially/just enough to cushion my bottom and back from the vibration coming thru the airplane seat. I find that they're even helpful in business class where the seats are much more comfortable but still transmit the plane's resonance.
Old 10-11-2012 | 08:22 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Have you tried an air seat cushion... I started using one for those 13 hrs flights from Dallas to Tokyo when I used to fly out there once a month on business. I filled them up partially/just enough to cushion my bottom and back from the vibration coming thru the airplane seat. I find that they're even helpful in business class where the seats are much more comfortable but still transmit the plane's resonance.
In a word, no. Will have to consider that one. Would it slide around with the side-loading a car produces? In a way, cellular foams remove vibration the same way, but on a micro scale.
Old 10-11-2012 | 08:26 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

In a word, no. Will have to consider that one. Would it slide around with the side-loading a car produces? In a way, cellular foams remove vibration the same way, but on a micro scale.
I suspect that cellular foams would be better at holding you in place provided it isolates enough from the resonance.
Old 10-11-2012 | 08:40 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

I suspect that cellular foams would be better at holding you in place provided it isolates enough from the resonance.
Well, in space work we put someone onto researching the tiring frequencies and designing a foam that attenuated those efficiently. The result was called "memory foam" I believe. It's descendants are in most expensive car seats, though I'm not sure it's the same spec as the foam we used for astronauts.

I do know a friend just sent me a note. He found GT2 seats on the Suncoast website and cushions are separate. Huzzah! I can pick up a set of those buckets for six grand and have special cushions made for my use. (They only cost $3,000 by themselves.) P-o-r-s-c-h-e was never an anagram for c-h-e-a-p.

The adaptive sport seats also should be available that way. I'll try cars with both seats tomorrow and then I'll know which kind to have installed in whatever car I choose. The GT2 seats do seem most suitable for this role, but as someone said, I first must check whether I can get in and out of a Carrera with such a deep shell seat.

Gary
Old 10-13-2012 | 11:14 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Alcantara covers can obtained for 300. I know. I have them. You take off the full leather off the GT2 seats after pulling them out of the base and recovering them with the alcantara with all the Velcro in place. Ted at alpha bedding in Chicago area makes them. He has a gt3 himself. You could get a custom cover to allow for extra foam if u thought the gt2 buckets were too deep. Firstly, sit in a GT2 seat. No rake adjustment or ht but forward folding and only ones with thoracic airbags. 6200 new I got them. Pm me if need more info.
Old 10-13-2012 | 11:16 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

The stock gt3 seats with alcantara are comfortable if you don't want harness option. Between 2-4k I think. I kept mine for return to stock.
Old 10-13-2012 | 04:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I do know a friend just sent me a note. He found GT2 seats on the Suncoast website and cushions are separate. Huzzah! I can pick up a set of those buckets for six grand and have special cushions made for my use. (They only cost $3,000 by themselves.) P-o-r-s-c-h-e was never an anagram for c-h-e-a-p.

The adaptive sport seats also should be available that way. I'll try cars with both seats tomorrow and then I'll know which kind to have installed in whatever car I choose. The GT2 seats do seem most suitable for this role, but as someone said, I first must check whether I can get in and out of a Carrera with such a deep shell seat.

Gary
GT2 seats are definitely the right seats for you, you can totally replace/update the cushions.
Old 10-14-2012 | 04:48 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Out of touch. Bought new p-car lost desktp. Back about Weds.

Best

G

Quick Reply: Terrible GT3/S decisions