Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley sound during startup - help to identify

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've finally finished replacing the AOS on my car and the noise is now gone. After waiting three weeks the new breather hose which I accidentally snapped showed up. Swapping the AOS is a real pain but I think I saved myself at least $1k in dealer / indy labor costs.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Good go... did you happen to take pics and/or notes. Would be great to see a DIY posting on that job.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Good go... did you happen to take pics and/or notes. Would be great to see a DIY posting on that job.
I followed this DIY thread found over on 6speed: AOS DIY and also consulted the Porsche workshop manual.

Here are a couple tips, to add to the DIY.
- You can take off the entire throttle body including the middle section as one piece.
- Both coolant hose connections located on the left side of the AOS have the same clip system. The first clip is visible, the second clip is facing down and not visible. These are the hardest to take off.
- You will need to take off the second plenum to allow for ample room to take out the AOS and to install the new AOS.
- Be careful working with the breather hoses since they can be brittle since they've dealt with ample heat and dirt oil over time.
- Use a heater to warm up the rubber seals on the side of each plenum. This will make them more flexible and much easier to re-install.
- Apply some white lithium grease to the clips for lubrication if they are hard to turn.
- Purchase pentosin 202 power steering fluid so that you can refill the power steering fluid reservoir after the car is back in one piece.

On a scale from 1-10 in terms of difficulty I would rate this a 6 or a 7. Mostly because of the AOS location and all of the hoses which need to be disconnected.

Pictures during and after.

My AOS was quite filthy and had a fair amount of dirt and oil residue built up on it.

Last edited by Spoddle; 02-19-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added requirement of power steering fluid

Quick Reply: Pulley sound during startup - help to identify