Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the gorgeous CF offers no independent performance advantage?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A common misconception is equating octane to power. Octane is a fuel additive that raises the detonation level only. Higher detonation level, assuming the car's ECU is capable of it will produce a higher combustion rate (higher fuel to air ratio) without undesirable detonation.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jason74
So the gorgeous CF offers no independent performance advantage?
If the gorgeous CF airbox has similar dimensions to the stock airbox and/or no other improvements are made, then there will be no performance advantage.

The dimensions of the airbox, the size of the inlet opening(s), and the size of snorkel(s) are directly related to the volume of fresh air needed to produce the desired engine characteristics (torque, HP, sound, etc.). Likewise, the factory exhaust system is sized to match the volume of combustion gases. Neither the intake system or the exhaust system are intentionally undersized or oversized if they are properly designed to produce the desired engine characteristics.

Many Rennlisters, including me, have found that the engine characteristics (torque, HP, and sound) can be improved by increasing the dimensions and efficiency of the intake system (airbox, air filter, throttle body, plenum) and increasing the dimensions and efficiency of the exhaust system (headers, cats, mufflers). Enabling the engine to suck in more fresh air and to blow out more exhaust seems to improve the torque, HP, and sound of these engines.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I can tell you from firsthand exppericne there is HUGE Power rub using the crap 91 Octane vs. higher octane gas,

As I reported earlier, I always used 94 octane, 0% ethanol (that's available locally), whenever I travel south to US and use the 10% ethanol, 91-92 Octane, there is a noticable power down... 100% noticable, even engine sound is different!
California is the biggest culprit of this with their "environmentally friendly designer gasoline"
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
California is the biggest culprit of this with their "environmentally friendly designer gasoline"
Oh, that was actuall in WA/OR which has even 92 Octane... but 10% ethanol mostly. I think the 10% ethanol is also a factor on top of lower octane!

I don't care if they have 10% ethanol and mandate its sales, BUT at least give drivers "an option" to use 0% ethanol. What do the folks with classic cars do in CA?

In Germany you got the 0%, 5% and 10% ethanol option. The 10% ethanol is actually a cheaper gas. I like that model... ppl who wanna save some money, their car doesn't suffer from 10% gas (Hyundai/Kia drivers) could just

PS. What part of ethanol is green is beyond me!

Quick Reply: Cold Air Kit