Sponsored by:

Frequency for Power Steering Fluid Flush on 997.1 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frequency for Power Steering Fluid Flush on 997.1 C4S

Just curious because I am about to change the PS fluid in my 07' Jeep Wrangler and it go me wondering what was the recommended interval to change for 07' 997.1 C4S but the isn't any mention in manual or Major/Minor Maintenance schedules.

Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think it is "lifetime" like the coolant is supposed to be.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
Just curious because I am about to change the PS fluid in my 07' Jeep Wrangler and it go me wondering what was the recommended interval to change for 07' 997.1 C4S but the isn't any mention in manual or Major/Minor Maintenance schedules.

Thoughts?
AFAIK the power steering fluid has no change interval. I can't ever recall coming across any change interval in any of the service schedules I'd had before me.

I have to admit that in spite of my almost religous adherence to 5K mile oil/filter services, 2 year brake fluid flush/bleeds, early/preventative tranny/diff fluid changes, even a 4 or 5 year coolant replacement for my cars my 02 Boxster has its original power steering fluid.

The 03 Turbo got its original power steering changed/replaced a few months ago when I had the power steering tank changed out to address a noisy valve and during this repair the tech replaced the original fluid with new fluid.

I hear of no power steering issues related to the fluid going bad.

In some models -- Boxsters at least but I do not know if this applies to other models or more recent models so it may be a Boxsters only thing -- a high pressure valve in a steering line can fail and direct high pressure fluid to the rack which ruins the rack, and the power steering pump as it runs low on fluid.

This is not a problem due to the fluid going bad but simply a mechanical failure in a valve. An early warning that something's amiss is the power steering fluid level gets low. But since owners check this about zero times during the time they own their cars the more common sign something is amiss is a noisy power steering pump which is noisy because it has run low on fluid and is damaged.

So it is up to you. If you want to do something positive make a note to check the power steering fluid level every so often.

But also, I have to add this bit of advise: Check with your trusted senior tech and listen to what he has to say regarding power fluid services. He may be in possession of something from the factory that has changed this and fluid services may be called for.

A relatively inexpensive fluid service is preferrable to a power steering system repair/replacement but as I covered above there doesn't appear to a sufficient number of power steering problems to have any real concern the fluid needs to be changed.

It does kind of bother me though that in my Boxster's case the fluid has been in service now for over 10 years and 260K miles.

Just one more thing: Avoid using full steering lock unless necessary (of course) and avoid leaving the engine running with the steering wheel at full lock. I always try to have the front wheels pointing straight ahead when I idle the engine and when I shut it off at the end of a trip. Full lock subjects the system to higher loads that can over time take their toll.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Frequency for Power Steering Fluid Flush on 997.1 C4S