Sponsored by:

need help with wiring seat heating for 997 seats into a 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:36 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Default need help with wiring seat heating for 997 seats into a 993

I am installing a set of seats out of a 2006 Cayman into my car. From my research, these are the same seats that were used in 997s. I have the physical installation taken care of and wiring for the 12-way power is just about complete. These were memory seats, so I had a few extra hoops to jump through with wiring adjustments for the driver's side. The last part that I need to complete is to make the connections for the seat heating. I connected 12v to the heaters and they heated up and seemed to stop heating when I got out of the seats ( measured seat temps with IR thermometer). Seats were not installed when I did this, they were sitting on the garage floor with an external 12v source. I have done a fairly extensive search of RL and Planet9 archives to try and figure out connection of the seat heaters, but have not found the specifics I need to make these connections. The questions I am looking to answer are:

What equipment exists in the seats (if any) to regulate temperature? I looked at the PET diagrams and didn't really note anything except for the heater elements themselves in the seat, but this doesn't help to explain the seats not heating when I got out of them. Maybe I was just seeing a faster conductance of heat when my weight was pressing down vs. a relative "insulating property" of foam that's not compressed?

I will be connecting to a switched power source. Any experience out there with which source to tap into?

How do I wire in the switches? Do I need to get a relay between the switch and the heater (any wiring diagrams available?). I have a couple of generic 3-position seat heater switches (middle off, rock either way for hi or lo, 3 connections on back plus a wire for power to the LED indicator) so I would prefer to use these, assuming they will work with this application. If I can't use these switches, what switches do I need and where can I get them?

Is there anything else that I have missed? Any help from those who have done this is greatly appreciated (nile13 has already provided some great info. Thanks Mike!)

Quick Reply: need help with wiring seat heating for 997 seats into a 993