Sponsored by:

2 Clutch Questions...Strange Noise and Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2 Clutch Questions...Strange Noise and Reverse

I have an '09 CS2 that I bought 4 months ago as a CPO with 20k miles. I'm not approach 22k miles and I have a few clutch questions.

1. Every so often while moving I get a strange noise when shifting into 2nd or 3rd. Just as I let the clutch out all the way I get a strange noise. Almost sounds like and extra blip of throttle. It's not grinding or anything but it make a loudish noise. I tend to notice it more when the AC is on. Any thoughts on this?

2) I back the car into the garage and my short driveway is on an incline. So I'm backing up hill into the garage. It feels like in reverse I have to really let the clutch out super far. It almost seems like the reverse gear is not as low and torque"y" as maybe I'm used to.

Any thoughts would be great. I don't think the clutch is going out but I guess it's hard to tell.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Almost sounds like the clutch is worn/not grabbing and slipping as a result... Try using the hand brake to assist with the incline. BTW, a worn clutch is possible even though the car only has 22K miles... especially if the previous owner abused the clutch with numerous improperly applied launches. Do you have the DME report and what kind of over revs does it show within each range? That could provide an indicator as to how the clutch was used and/or abused potentially.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimon777
I have an '09 CS2 that I bought 4 months ago as a CPO with 20k miles. I'm not approach 22k miles and I have a few clutch questions.

1. Every so often while moving I get a strange noise when shifting into 2nd or 3rd. Just as I let the clutch out all the way I get a strange noise. Almost sounds like and extra blip of throttle. It's not grinding or anything but it make a loudish noise. I tend to notice it more when the AC is on. Any thoughts on this?

2) I back the car into the garage and my short driveway is on an incline. So I'm backing up hill into the garage. It feels like in reverse I have to really let the clutch out super far. It almost seems like the reverse gear is not as low and torque"y" as maybe I'm used to.

Any thoughts would be great. I don't think the clutch is going out but I guess it's hard to tell.
The car has a CPO warranty. Take the car to the dealer and demo the behavior and get it taken care of.

If you hear "they all do that" or "that's normal", reply "show me".

Generally reverse is not as low a gear as 1st but not as high as 2nd car. Thus moving the car from a stop or backing it up an incline can require more throttle and more clutch slippage.

Do you have to back the car up the incline? Can't you just pull in forward? Then when you want to take the car out let gravity help and take some wear/tear off the clutch.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issues you raise do not seem normal and indicitive of clutch problems. Your car has low miles but I have seen clutch replacements at 18K miles, due to abuse or poor shifting technique. Good thing you have a CPO warranty, time to invoke it.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
The issues you raise do not seem normal and indicitive of clutch problems. Your car has low miles but I have seen clutch replacements at 18K miles, due to abuse or poor shifting technique. Good thing you have a CPO warranty, time to invoke it.
I don't have first hand knowledge of this but I think getting a worn clutch replaced under CPO could be an uphill battle. Unless it's determined that something failed due to a manufacturing defect. Pretty sure all other clutch items are thrown in the wear and tear basket along with windshield wipers, brake pads and tires.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be right but at 22K miles there could be a problem with the clutch unrelated to abuse and considered premature wear caused by another problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
You might be right but at 22K miles there could be a problem with the clutch unrelated to abuse and considered premature wear caused by another problem.
I agree and that's what I said:
"Unless it's determined that something failed due to a manufacturing defect."

Quick Reply: 2 Clutch Questions...Strange Noise and Reverse