Sponsored by:

Swapping TPMSs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 PM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Swapping TPMSs?

Barring damage, how stable/sensitive are TPMSs when swapping from one wheel to another?

Is there a correct procedure to follow or plug and play?

In a recent thread there was some mention of a rated life for TPMSs? How long? Can the batteries be changed?

Finally, should/will the vehicle automatically read the TPMSs or will there be possible issues?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I have TPMS in my street and track wheels. I just go to TPMS menu and click set and then drive and the car picks up the new set of TPMS no issue. For my understands it seems like battery life is around 7ish years.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues. Have swapped, etc. on several cars. Do you have a 997.1 or .2?

.2's reset in about 2 blocks. .1's seem to take forever but was probably on a few miles. It was like watching for water to boil on my .1.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by ricm
Barring damage, how stable/sensitive are TPMSs when swapping from one wheel to another?

Is there a correct procedure to follow or plug and play?

In a recent thread there was some mention of a rated life for TPMSs? How long? Can the batteries be changed?

Finally, should/will the vehicle automatically read the TPMSs or will there be possible issues?
I just bought a set of used wheels that came with both tires and TPMS's. Could never get the TMPS system to work with the new setup so swapped the sensors with my original ones and back to normal 2 minutes later.

Took the new sensors to the dealer to find out why they didn't work on my car. The serial numbers on the sensors were checked against my VIN # and they were not compatible. The advisor said the sensors have been produced with 4 different frequencies over the years and the only way to assure a good match is to check serial # of the sensors against the VIN # of the car.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could be wrong but I have heard that .1 TPMS systems have the (4) different frequencies as sandswedge mentioned. .2 are .2 without this concern. I bought some used wheels with tires and .2 sensors and could switch between my .2 sets without issue. Maybe it was just dumb luck. No question you can't mix .1 sensors with a .2 receiver.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What happens when TPMS's go south? Erroneous reading, no reading?

Any experiences with aftermarket TPMS's for a 997.2?

And thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Swapping TPMSs?