Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am driving myself, and the wife, crazy. Yet another what to buy thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Now i'm no world class skier so excuse my ignorance. Isn't the 993/996/997 Turbo a car that took the 959 supercar technology and brought it into production? How then does the Turbo not have race heritage or pedigree or as you say made for people who cannot drive??
1+. And Derek - make sure if you go manual trans to check out the differences between the GTS and TT. I sat in a GTS yesterday and there is a noticable different feel.

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-07-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM
vprgrn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I do agree with your ski boot analogy, but even those often need to be modded with a hair dryer to fit the individual user.

Joel
I'm sorry, but that is the greatest analogy for turbo Porsches/ski boots I have ever read. Bravo, sir.

Also, I hate to say it but anyone who actually proclaims themselves a "world-class skier" is more likely either a) Ron Burgundy, or b) "that guy" posing at the top of a resort groomer in a brightly coloured Descente one-piece, a mono-ski, and those Hot-tronic boot warmers. World-class indeed!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Jeepers Edgy! What turbo pissed in your corn flakes? I'm a semi-knowledgable enthusiast that's had both a rear wheeled 'tossible' C2S and now a Twin Turbo for a couple of months and albeit I do miss the wail of the 997.1 C2S and some of the tossibility, I've loved the Turbo from the moment I turned the ignition and lighted up it's race heritage GT1 Mezger engine. Yes, it doesn't have the exhaust note of the other and I'll be adding a Europipe exhaust in due course, BUT it is a freer flowing more fun car and it is tossible to a great extent around the city. The manual transmission is better too - it's tighter, more firm and direct (German vs. Japanese?). The whole car feels tighter. I also rarely kick the turbos in, instead enjoying more of the basic raw power available out of the gate. As for posing in it? Hardly, I just enjoy the car. It's also been noted for being the best daily driver of line.
(Could your post be a case of hidden 'turbo envy'? Hmm...)
So as my son jokingly says to me when I get on a rant, "shut up old man".
I do agree with your ski boot analogy, but even those often need to be modded with a hair dryer to fit the individual user.
To the OP, go and drive these cars and you'll soon find the one that 'yanks yer soul'. We're spitting hairs here. They are all great cars and we are truly blessed to be driving them and sitting on this forum having this discussion. Things could be worse. A modded Prius?

Joel
Edgy - no bites? I've been waiting for days! Help me out!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM
El Fredo
Advanced

I like the GTS but a cab is essential for a Pcar!
Check out Zeus's cab..... Now thats the **** and you can stuff two kids in back!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

Originally Posted by El Fredo
I like the GTS but a cab is essential for a Pcar!
Check out Zeus's cab..... Now thats the **** and you can stuff two kids in back!
Zeus's red interior is what inspired me to get this GT3. The red just says "WOW"!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Datura; 10-07-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want car for street - '11 GTS with PDK is a great car.

'07 turbo car can be modded easily into 600-700hp range, it has good motor and is a great car too.
Both cars are fine if do not intend to track them. If you want a car for track - $100k can buy you 997.2 gt3 car with 3.8l engine, it is great car but not so great for a street as GTS or turbo.
If you're not sure yet - do not hurry, take your time and choose. $100k even gives you and older GT2 car as an option, it was possible to find one in that range. Define better what your usage pattern will be and go from there.

If you drive alone mostly you will be able to use a car with PDK in traffic and I bet you will stop driving 550 after that. Car with 6sp is no fun in gridlock, but much more fun on track and on open road. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Datura
Zeus's red interior is what inspired me to get this GT3. The red just says "WOW"!!
Awesome. That is stunning.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Derek978
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1+. And Derek - make sure if you go manual trans to check out the differences between the GTS and TT. I sat in a GTS yesterday and there is a noticable different feel.
I am looking for a manual. I did notice that the TT clutch was different and not as easy to drive smoothly. After a few minutes, i got the feel for it though and it was fine. The GTS was nice.

I know the advantages of the PDK but have not warmed up to either the 997 or 991 version. I have been driving a stick for my whole life and spent a while finding a 6 speed for the daily driver. This may be one of the last car I purchase with a stick due to availability over time, but I still enjoy the connection especially at street legal speeds. Luckily, my wife also drives a stick quite well, she enjoyed test driving on Saturday.

Several have commented on usage patterns. I plan to mainly use the car after hours and on weekends. If the dynamic at the office shifts with the new company acquisition, the new guys are all car nuts with some nice toys, I may drive to the office occasionally. I will likely join the PCA and do a few track events per year. Traffic is not a concern in this area and the commute to the office is only 5 miles, so the PDK does not hold much advantage with the commute.

I am also working on the timing for a trip down to Barber for a weekend in the spring as well.

I hope to nail something down this week. If I do not move quickly, the weather will begin to make it more likely I wait until spring. I suspect we are going to have a much harsher winter here in NE Ohio this year.

Thanks again for the input folks.

Derek
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Push them hard Derek, put away time is 4-6 weeks away, Look to pay what you think you'd be paying in the Spring in 2013.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=utkinpol;9899954]
'07 turbo car can be modded easily into 600-700hp range, it has good motor and is a great car too.

Yes that has always caught my attention about the Turbo. What kind of money does it take to get around 580hp? Is it a simple matter of remapping the ECU/exhaust and boost level or does it also require clutch/suspension work etc. I'd imagine the engine is forged and ready for the boost...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Derek978
I am looking for a manual. I did notice that the TT clutch was different and not as easy to drive smoothly. After a few minutes, i got the feel for it though and it was fine. The GTS was nice.

I know the advantages of the PDK but have not warmed up to either the 997 or 991 version. I have been driving a stick for my whole life and spent a while finding a 6 speed for the daily driver. This may be one of the last car I purchase with a stick due to availability over time, but I still enjoy the connection especially at street legal speeds. Luckily, my wife also drives a stick quite well, she enjoyed test driving on Saturday.

Several have commented on usage patterns. I plan to mainly use the car after hours and on weekends. If the dynamic at the office shifts with the new company acquisition, the new guys are all car nuts with some nice toys, I may drive to the office occasionally. I will likely join the PCA and do a few track events per year. Traffic is not a concern in this area and the commute to the office is only 5 miles, so the PDK does not hold much advantage with the commute.

I am also working on the timing for a trip down to Barber for a weekend in the spring as well.

I hope to nail something down this week. If I do not move quickly, the weather will begin to make it more likely I wait until spring. I suspect we are going to have a much harsher winter here in NE Ohio this year.

Thanks again for the input folks.

Derek
Great time of year to buy a car Derek. The stock clutch is very different in the TT as it is 'assisted'. I'm still getting used to it. Some owners swap it out with a GT3 slave cylinder that brings it back to a standard feel. In particular that I LOVE about the TT is the actual gear box. It's super tight. The TT being 4 wheel drive is also a car to drive year around as a DD. Many owners have separate rims and snow tires they swap out and run them all year around. The car is designed for that. Myself, I keep summers on and just park it when we get the occasional snow storm, and keep out of the way of the yahoo drivers.
So again, GREAT time of year to bargain with dealers and get a smokin' deal. Even better at the end of the month...
As for needing 580+ HP? I'm not needing it yet. The stock 480 is HUGE and perfect to have some fun. Believe me, it's enough, especially for booting around the city and a quick drive to the office.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

[quote=Para82;9901453]
Originally Posted by utkinpol

Yes that has always caught my attention about the Turbo. What kind of money does it take to get around 580hp? Is it a simple matter of remapping the ECU/exhaust and boost level or does it also require clutch/suspension work etc. I'd imagine the engine is forged and ready for the boost...
low-mid 500hp is not going to cost very much. softronic sells their tune for $2k and they claim 615hp, in reality it will be in low 500hp i think, imho EVO 700hp packages with bigger blower and ecu tune has better overall value imho and is safe enough. at least if i would be doing this i would go after 700hp instead of 615hp.

again, for a street car turbo is a very fun vehicle, for track its rev limiter at mid 6K is a not so fun, active rev range is from 5K to 6500 and a lot of lag. ecu tune can probably limit that lag a bit but it will always be there. PDK turbo car is a different fun but those are still very expensive, so i render them out.
even my C2 revs to 7800 with ecu flash mod. gt3 that revs to 8500 is a lot of fun, boosted power is not so fun compared to wide rpm range with flat NA torque. so one has to choose what to choose.

right now those older turbo cars are good value imho, they are built like tanks, engines are reliable enough, imho gt2 cars have much better motors and can be tuned much higher, so, just scan the market and decide how much money you want to spend, that`s all.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Once the 991 Turbo comes out I want to see the 997.1 Turbo drop in the 60's...that would be a nice steal.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Edgy - no bites? I've been waiting for days! Help me out!
He is still sobering up Joel. Wait a little longer, he'll bite.
Seriously, I can't believe a Porsche enthusiast can write so much rubbish .
I have read great posts from Dan but this isn't one of them. So polarizing.

4wd made for the people who can't drive ? No, made for all year round drive ability on German high speed autobahns. When the GT2's are safely tucked away a turbo does what is supposed to do. Being a secure high speed all-weather cruiser.

It's not as lively as a GT Porsche but still is a great car to drive. I have had almost all Porsche's including a GT3 RS (996) and I prefer the turbo above them all. Maybe it's true it's brilliant at nothing but for sure it is good at everything. The perfect compromise for a road going Porsche.

Do you truly believe anybody buys a turbo to pose ? 99.9% of the public can't tell the difference between a 997 and 997TT. Who would they want to impress. Other Porsche drivers? You really believe this?

Instead I think a reason for turbo sales is simply the boost. It's intoxicating and very enjoyable !

Most of us share a passion for the sportscar maker from Zuffenhausen and I really don't get this bashing of other peoples choices.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

OK, it's been 18+ months since I've been off boost. I need to form a FI anonymous support group. You guys are killing me.

Quick Reply: I am driving myself, and the wife, crazy. Yet another what to buy thread.