Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 997... Need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

So it turned out to be a scam or what???
Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I loved my 996, even the headlights (MY 2002).

but the 997S was better in a number of ways - better seats, 3.8L motor 9which roars @ higher reves), shorter throw (shifter - it is not the short shift kit either), and of course the interior is a bit nicer though it has its share of plasticy buttons/switches, and a better record as far as "issues"

make the jump - you won't regret it
Wow, very few people like the 996 headlights. I am also one of those people. Personally I love the 996.2 headlights (they are actually my favorite headlights ever made by Porsche). They look so much sportier, exotic & modern than the round headlights on the rest of the 911's. Infact, when my brother had his 997, people would always ask if his car was an older version of mine (I'm guessing due to the classic style headlights). However, the rest of the 996 exterior is a bit ugly to me. I love how curvy the 997 rear is.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
So it turned out to be a scam or what???
Lol, how about you be the judge. Let me tell you the details. The car was listed FS on another Porsche forum for $49K & I negotiated with him through PMs. Bring out the popcorn, because here I pasted for you the entire conversation between me & the seller :
Originally Posted by Entire Conversation between MYSELF & SELLER

ME (09-16-12, 3:04AM):
Hey, I'm shopping around for a 997S. Is the price on yours firm?? Also, could I get more info, for example what factory options does it have (Sport Chrono, PSE, PASM, etc.), interior color, trim, options, etc. & in your ad it says all factory parts are included as well, what exactly would those parts be? By the way, I'm in SoCal as well.

Thanks.

SELLER (09-16-12, 2:26PM):
Hi. Thanks for your interest.

Price is pretty firm, based on the upgrades.

To answer your other questions:

Full leather
Sport Chrono
Pasm
6 speed
Black Interior

The factory parts included are:

The full exhaust
Wheels
Intake
Plenum
Springs

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe

ME (09-16-12, 2:48PM):
One last question I forgot to ask. What date does the CPO warranty expire??

SELLER: (09-17-12, 06:18PM):
I'm out of town so I can't check the exact date, but I believe it is September 2013.

ME (09-19-12, 09:16PM):
Hey, of the few 997S I have my eye on, yours is on the top of my list. However, no offense, but I find the price too high. Hopefully we can work something out.

SELLER (09-19-12, 09:56PM):
Dealer offered me $42k stock as trade in. I can put it back to stock and sell it to you for $44k. There is one year left of CPO that would transfer to you. The car was CPO'd last year at 48k miles.

Let me know your thoughts,

Joe

ME (09-19-12, 09:59PM):
I would be more interested in buying it with the mods (since I would do almost the same mods anyway). So how much is the least without putting it back to stock??

SELLER (09-19-2012, 10:12 PM):
$46k since I'm giving $4k of value for the mods.

ME (09-19-2012, 10:46 PM):
Would you consider $44k with the mods?

SELLER (09-20-2012, 04:39 AM):
I appreciate the offer, but $46k will be my lowest. I know I can get at a minimum $4k in mods, and the dealer will give me $42k in trade. At $46k all it is doing is saving me from putting it back to stock.

Thanks,

Joe

ME (09-20-2012, 11:54 AM):
How about meeting right in the middle, $45k?

Thanks.

SELLER (09-20-2012, 04:56 PM):
Let me think about it. I will let you know in the next couple days.

Joe

SELLER AGAIN (09-22-2012, 11:20 AM):
I need to check with Porsche on Monday what the payoff is, and how they want to handle the sale and the CPO transfer.

Joe

ME (09-22-2012, 04:36 PM):
So that means you're accepting my offer, right? So I can get the money ready for you.

SELLER (09-24-2012, 12:04 AM):
I need to see what the pay off is, but I think we are close. I will let you know tomorrow for sure.

SELLER AGAIN (09-24-2012, 10:48 PM):
Here is what I propose.

I accept the $45k offer.
The tpms sensors need to be replaced along with the right rear tail light bulb. Both should be covered by CPO. They will be your responsibility. I planned to do them, but just don't have the time.
Porsche can get me the title within 4 days of me paying off the car via wire transfer. I would like to receive $5k down payment via wire transfer. I will then payoff the car and get the title within the 4 days. Once I have the title, then I would prefer a wire transfer of the remaining $40k and I will sign the title over to you. We can then arrange for a time for you to get the stock wheels and parts, as they won't fit in the car. I just renewed the plates so they ae covered for a year and save you almost $500.00.

The ony thing I need to find out tomorrow is how to transfer the CPO to you.

Let me know your thoughts and if this seems reasonable. I am going to be leaving on Friday and not returning until Tuesday next week. If you can get me the downpayment before Friday, I can pay off the car before I leave and get the title early next week so we can finish everything. Otherwise we can do it next week.

Joe

ME (09-25-2012, 10:53 AM):
Hey, I would prefer to have you get those things fixed so I don't have any problems. Also I would like for you to pay off the car yourself & once you have the title we just meet in person so we can exchange title for money & I'll take the car & the parts at the same time (I live in SD, you live in LA, right? We're pretty close). If this seems reasonable to you & the car passes a PPI then we have a deal. In the meantime could I get more pics of the car (exterior, interior, & all the stock parts included)??

Thanks.

SELLER (09-25-2012, 10:23 PM):
I could have the items fixed, but it will take me some time as I am traveling for work. In order for me to pay off the car I would need a down payment, otherwise I am out of the loan if you do not take the car. If you want to schedule a PPI near me and pay for it, I will take it to get done. Let me know some dates and I can let you know my schedule. The stock parts are in my storage locker so it will be hard for me to take pictures of them, until I dig them out. What areas of the car do you want pictures of, so that I can be exact.

ME (09-25-2012, 11:36 PM):
Since you are traveling for work, you could leave the car at the dealer before leaving so they can fix it while you're on your trip... As long as everything is okay with the car, then I'm definetely purchasing it, don't doubt that at all. However wire transferring $5k like that is not very safe for me because I have no guarantee of anything. On the other hand if you pay off the loan you really have nothing to lose. I mean, being out of a loan has no negative consequences (quite the contrary actually, lol)... Well I would like pics of the seats (especially driver's), odometer, the main console with the PCM unit, engine, etc. By the way, what are the factory wheels that you are including? Carrera S wheels, lobster fork, etc?

Thanks again.

SELLER (09-27-2012, 07:55 PM):
The wheels are lobsters. I will take some of the pictures you requested and try and get the items fixed this upcoming week. I believe the issue we still have is the downpayment. I disagree I do not have anything to lose. I would be out cash that I could use for other investments. I can get the items fixed, take pics, take the car to the ppi you schedule, but I am not willing to pay it off until I have a down payment, which would confirm your seriousness. I can understand if you are hestiant, but you also need to see it from my point of view.

Joe

ME (09-27-2012, 08:38 PM):
Okay, how about this. Send me the pics, give me more specific details as to the condition (scratches, dents, flaws, etc on exterior & wear on interior such as seats, switches, etc.), get the little problems fixed at the dealer & tell me exactly what comes on the car in both modifications as well as original OEM parts. If everything is good then I will schedule a PPI & pay for it & if all of that goes well then the best I can do is send you a $200 deposit through PayPal which is what most dealers ask for. I know $200 is not much, but I mean if I wasn't gonna buy the car, then why would I give away $200? I'm sure that is good enough to show I'm serious. By the way, could you tell me the exact date the CPO ends? Last time I asked you, you told me you weren't sure.

Thanks.

ME AGAIN (10-10-2012, 12:55 PM):
Hey man, it's now been over 2 weeks & I haven't heard anything. If you are no longer selling the car to me then I'd appreciate if you'd let me know so I can move on & continue searching for another 997S. I haven't even checked out other cars because I thought we were going to close the deal on yours...

Thanks.

SELLER (10-10-2012, 01:45 PM):
Thanks for the messages. I do not have the time right now to get the items fixed that you would like me to fix. Also, the fact we can not come to an agreement on the amount of the down payment, puts us at a standstill.

ME (10-10-2012, 11:34 PM):
When do you have time to get the items fixed?? Or do you just not want to?? I mean I'm sure we can work something out. I'm a serious buyer, so if you're a serious seller lets make a deal. If you're still interested then please answer the questions I asked you in my response to your previous e-mail.

Thanks.

SELLER (10-12-2012, 09:02 AM):
I will be home this weekend and will take the pics you requested. I will also find out the exact date of the CPO.

Thanks

SELLER AGAIN (Today, 01:45 PM):
CPO is until 7/22/2013. Do you have an email address so I can send you the pictures.

Joe

ME (Today, 01:47 PM):
My e-mail is ___@___.com

Thanks.
He sent me some pics right after I sent him the e-mail. Here they are:

Last edited by 911_993_997; 10-15-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

This guy is a scam artist bro!!!! who the hell wires 5k DEPOSIT then also wants you to WIRE the entire amount after??? lol...why all this negotiation without even talking to him on the phone? Another porsche forum? whats his feedback, and you should search his thread history....
Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Tell him you will meet him at the porsche dealer (or bank that holds his lien) and give him a check, thats it, very simple- you pay off the car yourself and if there is a balance he has to cough it up- if its over payoff then he gets the rest! you need to know exact payoff!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Have you noticed front tire pressure set at 24PSI... That says volumes re car maintenance/upkeep.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

i just bought one that looks very similar but it was real lol, 18,000 miles CPO launch edition 2005
Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Tell him you will meet him at the porsche dealer (or bank that holds his lien) and give him a check, thats it, very simple- you pay off the car yourself and if there is a balance he has to cough it up- if its over payoff then he gets the rest! you need to know exact payoff!!!
+1 a lot of red flags here. I would tell him what tarek307 said and if he has any more excuses then move on. At this point I don't even know if I would send him $200.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he does not have the funds to pay off the loan, which is likely 100% of the time...duh, it is not reasonable to expect to receive the title at point of sale. The way you handle this safely and securely, is to go to a bank and wire the sellers loan holder the payoff amount, and the balance to the sellers account. You take possession of the car at that point. The title still gets mailed to the seller, as he has to transfer it to you.
No down payment needed. You get your PPI, meet, do the deal, drop him off back at his house, done...
If you haven't actually spoken with him, my guess he thinks you're an Internet tire kicker, unless he hasn't provided a phone #. I always put my # in my ads and ignore guys that do nothing but email.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 997... Need advice please